Need Help On HID Kit for E46 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bm8118

Club Guest
i'm planning to install HID system for my car and planning to get it done myself (DIY) but got to know from a friend that any mod to the lighting system of the car will produce error message on the display to indicate headlamp failure. How do i avoid this? Did any of you guys had this problem before? Thanks before hand for all ur replies sifus. TQ ;)

There is no way u can get rid of error message once u had install the HID. I had install mine with HID and had went to the BMW shop in Brunei hoping can reset it. The machanic told me can't erass the message. But good thing is the error message only came on during the light are off. Once u turn it on, the error message will be gone.

To my knowledge you gotta change the LCM to the type that supports xenon. RM1500++ for the LCM

I didn't realise there was a fuss with a HID install.

Mine went in without any problems.

So maybe your installer did something wrong?

In addition to what Daniel posted there are some HID kits that will give you an error and some don't. You should check out the brand name of the kit and post it in the forum.

I installed mine HID conversion kit 1-2 years back without any warning light problems. Think the brand was xtec from japan if not mistaken

masCh said:
I think you can just add certain value resistors

you are right! a small bulb in-series wud be sufficient.. guarantee no problem!! :D

helloo have u all registered for AD...its just 2 weeks away

adliz said:
you are right! a small bulb in-series wud be sufficient.. guarantee no problem!! :D

can you please explain further? Tq or to all the sifus around is there a particular shop that i can visit to install the kit.

:) TQ

bulb will blow one day...a resistor is a better alternative..make sure the power rating is equivalent to the current that it needs to handle..

What is rough-price for HID please? Thanks!

Is it true that it gives POORER visibility compared to normal lights, when it RAINS!? Any experience on this ...

And, sorry lah I am a newbie ... but what is DIFF between ANGEL eYes and HID? Can I have both on my e46!?

Cheers!
M2

bro m2, price of hid differs depending where it is manufactured. jap and korean hids tend to be more expensive compared to the taiwan n china. advise would be to keep ur fogs yellow thts wat most of us r doin anyway.

angel eyes r the rings on our headlamp whn we on our small lights... if u notice during ur mmz trip with the BT guys.

bm8118 said:
can you please explain further? Tq or to all the sifus around is there a particular shop that i can visit to install the kit.

:) TQ

If you want installation, PM me and I will provide you the shop info.

i install my HID ( EPS ) 2 years back , once i install i got the error message same as urs . But i finally found out the problems.

The original headlamp bulb is 55 w , then HID is 35 w . Thats y the car ECU thought that the bulb is blow .. so keep on showing u the warning .

Solution is , Bring your car to the workshop with BMW diagnostic Com and reprogram or edit your headlamp as Xenon Headlamp , so that the ECU know u are using Xenon HID bulb with 35 w instead of 55 w. problem solve !!! no more warning in the future !!

but u have to sacrify with the headlamp leveling function with comes original with your car . Coz those BMW comes with Xenon Headlamp also got the function of Auto Leveling , which mean when u pass a bump the headlamp wil automatically adjust the level for driver .

just my 2 cents ..

yohji_yen said:
i install my HID ( EPS ) 2 years back , once i install i got the error message same as urs . But i finally found out the problems.

The original headlamp bulb is 55 w , then HID is 35 w . Thats y the car ECU thought that the bulb is blow .. so keep on showing u the warning .

Solution is , Bring your car to the workshop with BMW diagnostic Com and reprogram or edit your headlamp as Xenon Headlamp , so that the ECU know u are using Xenon HID bulb with 35 w instead of 55 w. problem solve !!! no more warning in the future !!

but u have to sacrify with the headlamp leveling function with comes original with your car . Coz those BMW comes with Xenon Headlamp also got the function of Auto Leveling , which mean when u pass a bump the headlamp wil automatically adjust the level for driver .

just my 2 cents ..

so will i be able to adjust manually from inside the car after changing to HID? because the normal light one can do the adjustment from inside the car.

I installed an Xtec HID a few years back and there isn't a warning light and I can adjust the light throw internally in my car. Some other brands will give you a warning light.

Once you reprogram the computer then you can no longer adjust the light throw level.

Choosing the right brand of HID is important. The right brand will not give u warning light and you can still adjust light throw level internally. Ask your dealer to recommend you a kit that he can guarantee will not give out a warning light.

This was what I did when I install the Xtec HID.

Otherwise I think one of our forumers kat8186 did a bypass to take care of the warning light. If you do a bypass then you will be able to adjust the light throw level.

According to him he did a bypass by hiding a small bulb somewhere in the bonnet fooling the computer into thinking that everything is fine. Can go to WRC Lights in Sunway to check out the solution.

Valkyrie, thanks for all the useful info. How much does WRC Lights Sunway charge for a E46 solution (good quality one) = Angel eyes and/or HID? Thanks!

Karate70 - See u soon dude ;-)

M2

M2,

Ideally HID should be paired together with a projector light system. The original projectors do not come with Angel Eyes but the Depo replica does. There is also another replica projector found in Eneos 1 Utama.

Expect to spend anywhere from RM2,500 - RM 3,000 for a replica projector lights comes with angel eyes and HID. I heard that it could be even cheaper but I don't actively monitor prices so....

Or you may want to consider the much more expensive alternative of getting an original Bosch projector headlights.

You can check out my write up on the Bosch projectors

Look me up on Friday's gathering and I be glad to explain more.

Top Bottom