N42 Engine: To rebuilt or just replace with engine from chop shop

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zeedo

Club Guest
Went to see my car today in workshop, it's been sipping too much engine oil and my mech opened the cylinder head and all we can see is sludge everywhere and only one piston is still in normal condition. Yet again another disastrous N42 year 2002 mileage 164k km. The options I am considering now is whether to rebuilt (full overhaul) or just replace with engine from chop shop. I was quoted by Seng Eng Hup Segambut RM5k for the engine. Hope can get some input since this is quite common for N42 owner. Koyak akuuu.....

Why the loss of engine oil? Leaking or absorbed by sludge? What is the problem really

18022012995_2.jpg

No leaking whatsoever but it's been a year since I started topping up every 1000km for 0.5 liter so this is how it looks just now.

Tonight tido tak lena dalam flight....where to get engine internals in Japan? Anybody knows where I can source it there in Tokyo/Yokohama area?

overhaul la... better than second hand... when it overhauls,it's like new...

the second hand recon, might be worse... overhaul you need new top/bottom gasket, new con-rod, crankshaft bearings, piston rings, new seals, clean up of sludge and waterpump, plus some small items...

Thinking of the same too....get the zero mileage engine again, now browsing for price of parts. Pussy...any idea of the range I am looking at for a rebuilt?

Instead of buying a 2nd hand engine yourself - get the 2nd engine via workshop so they are responsible for choosing a working engine

Have u asked around workshops wats the cost is? I also heard n42 engine like to create sludge unless changing the engine oil according to the mileage.

Bro zeedo, feel sad for you, but at the same time worrying that it might happen to me as well.. any symptom that can be seen/felt? (besides the need to top up oil, coz that it s quite common among e46-ers. haha)

I hear you bro.... On the brighter side, the is the opportunity to slot in 6 potters.... Hehe..

zeedo;716010 said:
Thinking of the same too....get the zero mileage engine again, now browsing for price of parts. Pussy...any idea of the range I am looking at for a rebuilt?

yes, i did ask M garage, depends if you want to go the whole hog... costs like 6k plus labor work & 3 days.

ezzo369;716108 said:
Have u asked around workshops wats the cost is? I also heard n42 engine like to create sludge unless changing the engine oil according to the mileage.

yes, bro, the N42 engines problem is due to BMW delayed servicing period. it was during that time, lots of argument on it with the SAs'. I have most of the cars at M Garage that comes with this N42 e46 models, all fill with sludge like pancakes... even the early e90's suffered too...

wah like this scary bro pussy... they should do research first and running tests before marketing their product. so do the e60 530d's swirl flap. but from my experience, an old engine oil usually causing my e36 to feel sluggish and no power when using kickdown or sport mode. and i dont wait until the service oil indicator to change red. my mechanic said when 2 green bars went off, that's the time to change oil as the mileage is about 7000km

pussy;716382 said:
yes, i did ask M garage, depends if you want to go the whole hog... costs like 6k plus labor work & 3 days.

yes, bro, the N42 engines problem is due to BMW delayed servicing period. it was during that time, lots of argument on it with the SAs'. I have most of the cars at M Garage that comes with this N42 e46 models, all fill with sludge like pancakes... even the early e90's suffered too...

Thanks bro for the info, I've decided to go with full overhaul since don't think want to end up in the same situation again. I got this car at 63k km mileage at 5++years with previous service intervals of around 15k km. In my ownership I service it every 6-7k km but the damage from initial long service intervals has caught on me now.

oh man..that sludge looks bad ....change ya engine oil every 45 days ....only a bottle right ..and the oil filter on every 3rd oil change ....

18022012996.jpg

Need one more round of chemical cleaning, still got the edges with sludge residues on it. The wallet emptying journey has just begin.....

Lefthanded;716274 said:
I hear you bro.... On the brighter side, the is the opportunity to slot in 6 potters.... Hehe..

Wahhh...long time no see Lefty, still kat Siam ka. Aku tunggu beli F30 la nanti lagi 2-3 tahun. Yg ni simpan kasik anak...hehehehe. Too much hassle to change to 6 pot, and I'm not around in KL too so just rebuilt the engine to original state (I hope).

Top Bottom