My nightmare of installing arm rest

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
I saw a DIY of how to install arm rest here http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/how-to-install-an-e36-centre-armrest-t26045/. it did not look difficult and plenty of pictures posted. how difficult could it be? Boy how wrong I was.Taking off the original console was very easy. Just remove few screws and console off.View attachment 20908View attachment 20909On the left is my original console, the other is the one with arm rest. Quite good condition considering the age.Now I took apart the arm rest from the console. Removed the arm rest bracket as per instruction. Bought some new screws because the old ones are too short. The hardware shop owner not too sure which was the correct screw. I had to remove one to show her. If you are doing this ask for "M10" screw.Now to screw in the bracket, there are three places to screw in. How difficult can that be? From the pictures it looks simple. The pictures show him tightening the screws. Now here is the part that he did not show. Aligning the armrest bracker with the brake bracket and positioning the screw and actually screwing in is damn difficult ! :motz:. You cannot see where the screw is going and you need an extra pair of hands to hold everything properly and one of them better have an eye at the tips.I struggle with it for hours :banghead: and I was sweating profusely in the hot interior. Just could not get everything in the right place. Finally by assuming a position worth of a contortionist , I did it! Seriously I was exhausted with by this time.View attachment 20910This is how it looks now screwed in. I'm still not out of the woods yet because when I put in the console it does not seem to align properly with the bracket. But for sure I am not going to take out the arm rest because I am sure I'll never get it back in properly again :wink:Another issue is I noticed the console is too long. It kind of sticks out at the back and spoil the aesthetics of the interior of E36. Besides the passenger in the middle will have problem with their legs. Won't know for sure until I installed the console. But now I'm so tired I had to stop and take a rest. Will continue with my story ....

dont forget the gap you'll have between the console and the car floor. but the ability to rest your left hand -Priceless

Job complete

I found that I could not take off the arm rest front trim. It seems some force will be required and I was too afraid I might break something. So I just installed the console without removing the front trim. Not sure if that is the correct way.

View attachment 20918

As you can see space is really tight, the arm rest brushes against the side of the front seat when lifting it.

Hi crusher...that is part and parcel of DIY world...afraid of broken something, extra screw laying around(when job done!), things that supposedly peanut, turned out disaster...but if you succeed...PRICELESS man!!..Congrat bro...you did it..

Top Bottom