My cockpit display problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

teighlour

Club Guest
Hi bros, today is the 3rd day of me acquiring my new ride, a 2002 facelifted e46, 318i. I took it to the workshop and got it done up. Did some regular oil change and auto gear oil change. Will upload the price later in the maintenance section.I realised that something is not right. I have tested a number of e46s during my hunt for the car. In fact, the mechanic didnt even realise until they were about to pop in the diagnostic machine, they found out that some of my indicators are not lighted up. I wanna take a pic to show but so many icons/indicators are not lighted up so i have to borrow our dear bro aidilj's picture here (in fact a video he took when he started up his ride in one of the threads. Bro, dont mind ya.....or else hard to explain my problem).View attachment 19861Mechanic said it might be the sensor motherboard or something. He needs a day or 2 for him to run through the car properly. The diagnostic machine stated many errors. I was verbally quoted about Rm3600-4000 for this sensor motherboard. He said without this, i wouldnt know what is wrong with my car.Any bros out here encountered this problem? :hmmmm2:

Hey bro,

The first thing to check is whether the indicators can light up. Run the instrument cluster test like in the following video. If you have INPA you can also trigger the test through the software.

[video=youtube;IyhzbSOcqJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyhzbSOcqJI[/video]

In my car, only the battery charging and engine oil stay ON, the other two (ASC and ABS?) only lit up momentarily when turning the kay to position 2. What does he mean when he say "without this, i wouldnt know what is wrong with my car"? What kind of error persist in the diagnostic machine?

Hi Bro aidilj, thanks for your suggestion. I did as per the instructions from the video and ran the instrument cluster test. All my indicators lighted up and also the 4 meters went clockwise to the max and anticlockwise. After that, it went back to the same thing. My seatbelt, airbag, ABS, ASC, check battery indicator, etc do not light up when i turn the ignition to 1 or 2. Also, my light indicator and spot light indicators do not work. Signal lights are ok but not the high beam.

I called up the dealer and he promised to fix it up for me in his workshop. Let's see what his workshop will say. If the damage is about RM3-4K, he better pays for it because the car comes with 2 weeks warranty for any major problem with the car. Will update later.

Hi bro, my ride is at M-Performance now. The diagnose came back with the ASC control unit (4.8k), air bag control unit (1.85k), engine oil level sensor (480). The numbers in () are the actual quote from the workshop. I doubt it is so simple as other indicators are also not working like my battery, headlamp, seatbelt, highbeam, etc. Im going to replace that items and see if I can get others lighted up upon ignition. I will paste the pic of my speedometer later. Is the price reasonable? ASC is definitely kaput when i purchased my car so the salesman is paying for that.

Wow didn't think it would be that bad, I thought it would just be a loose wire. Anyway, I'm not sure about the pricing, better check the part/maintenance/service cost thread.

Yeah how about the light indicators? Need to change LCM? Have you tried swapping the cluster (IKE)?

teighlour;661313 said:
Hi bro, my ride is at M-Performance now. The diagnose came back with the ASC control unit (4.8k), air bag control unit (1.85k), engine oil level sensor (480). The numbers in () are the actual quote from the workshop. I doubt it is so simple as other indicators are also not working like my battery, headlamp, seatbelt, highbeam, etc. Im going to replace that items and see if I can get others lighted up upon ignition. I will paste the pic of my speedometer later. Is the price reasonable? ASC is definitely kaput when i purchased my car so the salesman is paying for that.

Engine oil level sensor RM480 too expensive. My e39 engine oil sensor only RM210 original from Bavarian Auto.

Thanks for the advice bro herbert, not sure am i taken for a ride. It took them whole day to diagnose the problem.

If the dealer is paying then dont mind. If you're paying (you said dealer only pays for ASC) you might wanna take it someplace else to get a second opinion and another price quotes.

ASC control unit for E46 N42 is RM2400 from Bavarian Auto but the dealer is paying so no worries. Check for leaks as well, oil separator clogging and vacuum pump failure/leak since the car is still under warranty. If you need to take out the intake manifold, change the crank position sensor (RM220) as that will surely fail.

Hi Bros, thanks for the advise. The damn sales man now after hearing so many problems tried to chicken out and said he only wants to guarantee these parts...no more else. I also found out my car has 4 previous owners after checking with the finance company. The salesman only showed me the car reg card which has only 1 owner. Probably previous owner lost his car reg card and made a new one, so his name appeared on the car reg card. Damn, taken for a ride....no wonder a 2002 car with only 69K km mileage is too good to be true.

Anyway, here is the pic of my instrument cluster. Can you see what are the missing? This is on ignition no 2 before i start the car.

View attachment 20038

As compared to mine, youre missing the battery/not charging indicator, handbrake (maybe parking brake not applied) and seatbelt (depending on setting?). eujinee, my airbag indicator goes off after awhile, the EML indicator goes off after the car start up. See video below but then again my car might have its own set of problem.. just a comparison here not reference.

What I'm more worried with is the tamper dot at the mileage indicator, this indicates a difference between recorded IKE and LCM mileage. See here

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...on-BMW-Scanner&p=634140&viewfull=1#post634140

vlcsnap-2011-08-09-00h04m12s205.png

[video=youtube;sntqr3v25Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntqr3v25Yw[/video]

Yeap, battery, seatbelt, hand brake and airbag for me is definitely not there. My headlamp ON indicator also not there but fog lamp for LH and RH ok. Cruise control is OK. The EML will light up but once started, the light is gone.

Do you guys know what makes all these missing?

teighlour;661584 said:
Hi Bros, thanks for the advise. The damn sales man now after hearing so many problems tried to chicken out and said he only wants to guarantee these parts...no more else. I also found out my car has 4 previous owners after checking with the finance company. The salesman only showed me the car reg card which has only 1 owner. Probably previous owner lost his car reg card and made a new one, so his name appeared on the car reg card. Damn, taken for a ride....no wonder a 2002 car with only 69K km mileage is too good to be true.

Anyway, here is the pic of my instrument cluster. Can you see what are the missing? This is on ignition no 2 before i start the car.

View attachment 20038

bro your mileage have been tampered..see the dot after the km/h. thats a sign that it has been tampered. mine is N42 also and looks the same as bro aidilj panel during start up.

Ah, I should have learnt all these details first before i jumped and got myself committed to the car (kena racun from reading this forum). Nevertheless, a painful lesson but now i have to treat my ride with tender care and love. Let's see if she can respond and serve me well for the next few years before i consider upgrading.

Anyway, got the car back from M-Performance, nothing done. They bought the wrong item, supposedly mine is ASC and they got the DSC for me.

teighlour;661917 said:
Ah, I should have learnt all these details first before i jumped and got myself committed to the car (kena racun from reading this forum). Nevertheless, a painful lesson but now i have to treat my ride with tender care and love. Let's see if she can respond and serve me well for the next few years before i consider upgrading.

Anyway, got the car back from M-Performance, nothing done. They bought the wrong item, supposedly mine is ASC and they got the DSC for me.

its ok bro..i too faced the same dilemma...went with my guts and paid hefty introduction fee when i first got my UDM..still few things need to be replaced but car is in good condition..within time she will treat you well..

im lucky when i got my baby, only the radiator and couplings needed to to fix ...Phew

Anyway, besides these issues with the cluster display, I am still driving the car. Is the battery indicator important? I used to drive Plotong, Hun-die, etc and it is when only the battery dies out and we cant start the car. For our UDM, i think before the battery is going to die off, there should be an indication right?

teighlour;663699 said:
Anyway, besides these issues with the cluster display, I am still driving the car. Is the battery indicator important? I used to drive Plotong, Hun-die, etc and it is when only the battery dies out and we cant start the car. For our UDM, i think before the battery is going to die off, there should be an indication right?

Yes bro and it happen to me before that my alternator going to kong and the battery indicator lights up and it sign that i need to check my battery or alternator.

Top Bottom