Merc CLS soon to be bitter Rival. 6 series Gran Coupe.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Wasn't the GranCoupe concept launched few years ago the precursor to the current 6 series? Would be nice to see BMW joining the party too. Can't imagine having BMW missing out of this piece of cake when the CLS, Passat CC and the Audi A7 joining the party. The Panamera too, judging from the increase in such cars on our roads nowadays.

Eggie86;678491 said:
Wasn't the GranCoupe concept launched few years ago the precursor to the current 6 series? Would be nice to see BMW joining the party too. Can't imagine having BMW missing out of this piece of cake when the CLS, Passat CC and the Audi A7 joining the party. The Panamera too, judging from the increase in such cars on our roads nowadays.

Exactly. and i dun know where the F07 GT stands...

EL118;678818 said:
Exactly. and i dun know where the F07 GT stands...

The GT is in a different class... Big butt hatchback... :biggrin: It's unique on our roads too. :adore:

I saw a GT 535i and an F10 with plate MBW6 somewhere in batu Pahat yesterday..will give it a chase and snap a photo if possible.. btw, that 6 series looks awesome bro

Both the brands are excellent but i personally like X series because they are truly world-class vehicles, bridging the gap between style and adventure, luxury and ruggedness, performance and economy.

to be honest, the CLS still look sexier with a sleeker side profile compared to this...
This doesn't look sleek at all especially the rear quarter...

I agree with bro fabian - it's not just about taking the F13 & stretching the chassis & slapping 2 extra doors on it. Somehow, the proportions don't quite do it for me the way the coupe did.

I loved the 1st generation CLS. The 2nd (present) generation, on the otherhand, looks like an overwrought, overthought, overworked iteration of the 1st & fails to evoke the same kind of feelings this time around. Just as well, I guess - kept me firmly in the Bimmer camp :)

Wobbles, what are your thoughts about the Audi A7 or A5 Sportback, as well as the facelifted VW CC. Malaysia hasn't launched the new CLS here too.

wobbles;691207 said:
I agree with bro fabian - it's not just about taking the F13 & stretching the chassis & slapping 2 extra doors on it. Somehow, the proportions don't quite do it for me the way the coupe did.

I loved the 1st generation CLS. The 2nd (present) generation, on the otherhand, looks like an overwrought, overthought, overworked iteration of the 1st & fails to evoke the same kind of feelings this time around. Just as well, I guess - kept me firmly in the Bimmer camp :)

Eggie86;691266 said:
Wobbles, what are your thoughts about the Audi A7 or A5 Sportback, as well as the facelifted VW CC. Malaysia hasn't launched the new CLS here too.

Hi Bro Eggie, I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the Audi camp - not because of any bad exeperience I've had personally, but because most of my friends who drove Audis in the past ended up convincing me not to do so - the all wheel drive has plenty of grip, but very little life, and the lesser models without Quattro drive are front wheel driven, and that's a real killjoy. I have seen the A5 Sportback & the A7 Sportback on the roads, and I feel they are essentially the reworking of a concept that the other car companies rushed to combat the Mercedes CLS when it appeared & took the driving world by storm (the Panamera would also seem to belong to a similar category).

In my opinion, the "4-door coupe" is a bit of an oxymoron - either it's a sedan (or touring) or it's a 2-door coupe. The 4-door idea isn't exactly bad, but if I really wanted the advantages of a 4 door, I would go for a full-fledged sedan (like the 5er or 7er), and if I want the fun of a coupe, I'd get the F13 :)

CLS is an art piece. Every young blooded man wants one to the best of my knowledge.

wobbles;691328 said:
In my opinion, the "4-door coupe" is a bit of an oxymoron - either it's a sedan (or touring) or it's a 2-door coupe. The 4-door idea isn't exactly bad, but if I really wanted the advantages of a 4 door, I would go for a full-fledged sedan (like the 5er or 7er), and if I want the fun of a coupe, I'd get the F13 :)

Exactly. when we saw X5, X6, X3 , X1 and i heard X4 in the pipeline, we know the car manufacturers are splitting hair....

EL118;691344 said:
Exactly. when we saw X5, X6, X3 , X1 and i heard X4 in the pipeline, we know the car manufacturers are splitting hair....

hear hear ... and whatabout the 3 series being split into the 4 series for the coupe versions, and M3 into M4? It's getting a little ridiculous, IMHO - but, what the hey, as long as we like it, and we keep buying it, they'll keep churning it out!

New details have just come up:

http://paultan.org/2011/12/11/bmw-officially-reveals-the-4-door-6-series-gran-coupe/

bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-62-860x456.jpg

bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-42-860x452.jpg

bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-31-860x574.jpg

bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-30-860x573.jpg

bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-34-860x573.jpg

bmw-6-series-gran-coupe-61-860x573.jpg

640d, 640i, 650i. Yummy. More pictures in Paul Tan's.

While I'm pretty blasé about the stretched oxymoron that is a 4-footed coupe concept, I gotta give it due props for the 6 Gran Coupe's stunning interior! Look at that color combination! Simply mouth watering! Divine!

I prefer the bmw concept CS design. This grancoupe looks good, sleek, too similar to the 6series 2door,
although understandable since they want to maximize parts sharing for production and cost reduction.
At the end of the day, it doesn't look like that awkward prius f07 gt. Thank God...

Top Bottom