M50 Engine inter-swap

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GeeTRM5

Club Guest
This crazy dude ( a good friend of mine ) owns a E34 520i Manual with non-vanos M50 engine as his daily ride. He is obssess with the idea of Vanos engine in his E34 ( for whatever reason I can't comprehend to this day ) but refuse my suggestion of getting a Vanos M50 half cut transplant. We went shopping for a car for his wife yesterday and saw a nice low milage E36 325i Auto M50 vanos selling cheap ( Used BMW- low milage and cheap are common here in Sarawak ).This exciting idea probably rob him of his sleep last night cos the call came very early this morn. So... he want to buy the E36, take out the engine and auto gear box and swap it with his E34. Question: CAN AH? Has anyone done this before? I have a hunch that it is not going to be a piece of cake?Any takers for some comments?

Originally posted by GeeTRM5@Mar 26 2005, 04:41 PM
This crazy dude ( a good friend of mine ) owns a E34 520i Manual with non-vanos M50 engine as his daily ride. He is obssess with the idea of Vanos engine in his E34 ( for whatever reason I can't comprehend to this day ) but refuse my suggestion of getting a Vanos M50 half cut transplant. We went shopping for a car for his wife yesterday and saw a nice low milage E36 325i Auto M50 vanos selling cheap ( Used BMW- low milage and cheap are common here in Sarawak ).

This exciting idea probably rob him of his sleep last night cos the call came very early this morn. So... he want to buy the E36, take out the engine and auto gear box and swap it with his E34. Question: CAN AH? Has anyone done this before? I have a hunch that it is not going to be a piece of cake?

Any takers for some comments?
whoa...sounds complicated... needs a new ECU to run the vanos version..erm..prob diff wire harnesses.....actually i think the electronics are the "scary" part for me...got a friend who didn;t believe popular consensus about the difficulty of swapping an M3 engine into an iS...spent a few Gs..to find out its true...:)...of course he's in the US...and parts are easier to come by and loads loads cheaper..:)

but seriously, do keep us posted!..i'm particular keen to find out the results if ur friend goes ahead with the project!..:)

so far i'm only comtemplating a transmission swap.. and still looking for a E36 manual gearbox for my humble 318i..:)..hehhe.. (psst! let me know if u know of one for sale.!..:)

cheers!

few things to note,

oil pan has to be changed
oil pump has to be changed
vanos and non-vanos wirings are not compatible, so is ECU
cooling system, minor modification
exhaust system and piping different due to steering box/rack

qqwumpkus,

where are you located?
how much is your budget?

the wiring harness is different for both cars.... the E36 harness is shorter as the ECU sits just in front of the firewall at the passenger side where as the E34 ECU is in the car...
and for the E36 the autobox DME and the ECU uses the same harness... in the E34 there are 2 wire harness for both the ECU and the autobox harness...

Originally posted by teejay@Mar 26 2005, 08:07 PM
few things to note,

oil pan has to be changed
oil pump has to be changed
vanos and non-vanos wirings are not compatible, so is ECU
cooling system, minor modification
exhaust system and piping different due to steering box/rack

qqwumpkus,

where are you located?
how much is your budget?
hi teejay,

yeah..u're right..the oil pan etc too.. goodness and then the propshafts and exhausts...as mentioned!!..wah lau eh..sounds like a lot of work...

hehhe..

i'm located in Sg... and..erm..i'm not the one thinking of this..:p..hehhe..i only have small dreams of a manual transmission swap...:p..

hhehehh..

cheers!

U guys are right. It is absolutely two different car of the same maker. There are so many areas to modify and consider. Better buy the whole car. I myself have the experience of sleepness nights after taking out my M20 engine from my E34. The electrical and electronics, 3 ECUs ( Engine Mgt, Transmission and In-Vehicle/dashboard controls ) who ever the designers are, are master of complications.

If I let my friend see these response, I think it will cause more sleepless night for him....

gwumpkus, Don't try it at home..... javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

If you just want to change it to Manual trannie, it is so much easier. I got a friend who swap in a auto trannie for his E34 520i with much ease. He did it in his own backyard makeshift garage!!!

Originally posted by GeeTRM5@Mar 26 2005, 10:07 PM
U guys are right. It is absolutely two different car of the same maker. There are so many areas to modify and consider. Better buy the whole car. I myself have the experience of sleepness nights after taking out my M20 engine from my E34. The electrical and electronics, 3 ECUs ( Engine Mgt, Transmission and In-Vehicle/dashboard controls ) who ever the designers are, are master of complications.

If I let my friend see these response, I think it will cause more sleepless night for him....

gwumpkus, Don't try it at home..... javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

If you just want to change it to Manual trannie, it is so much easier. I got a friend who swap in a auto trannie for his E34 520i with much ease. He did it in his own backyard makeshift garage!!!
hahhah..i wouldnt dream of an engine swap in my backyard man!!!..hehhe..or starteds..no crane to haul it out!!!..

but the manual trannie...thats possible... if only i can find my gearbox... pls pls pls..tolong tolong tolong... if got source let me know boleh?..:)

thanx!!..:)

cheers guys..

Zoggee, Thanks for the information. They will make my friend very happy!!!

BTW, I think you may got yourself mix up a little bit. I'm ( and my friend ) is from Malaysia and not the Island nation your may have mistakenly mentioned in your post. I'm from Sarawak. Sarawak also Malaysia mah.....

Cheers friend!

:) GeeTRM5,

:D I know you are from sarawak.. ;) I was refering to Gwumpkus...about the tranny swap. He dun have to come up to Malaysia to do the swap.

and I think I saw you before in Puchong ;) The shiny black E34 in KSM??? if I'm not wrong..hehe.. :D :blush: :blush:

ohh..btw,I always like the M50 without the Vanos.. B) wonder why..?? B)

You are right Zoggee, that black E34 in KSM Puchong you saw is mine. Sorry friend that I misunderstand you in the first place. If I get to meet you next time in TT, your TT is on me OK?

Actually, I personally prefer non vanos engines for 2 reasons - 1. easier to tune without having to worry too much of the electronics controlling the Vanos. 2. reliability and robustness of non vanos.
Afterall, Vanos are actually timming controller unlike Hondas VTEC which are Cams 'shifter'. I still think you can create more power out of the engine by meddling with the cams/timming than the timming alone. Guys, if I am wrong in this please correct me!

Originally posted by GeeTRM5@Mar 28 2005, 04:17 AM
You are right Zoggee, that black E34 in KSM Puchong you saw is mine. Sorry friend that I misunderstand you in the first place. If I get to meet you next time in TT, your TT is on me OK?

Actually, I personally prefer non vanos engines for 2 reasons - 1. easier to tune without having to worry too much of the electronics controlling the Vanos. 2. reliability and robustness of non vanos.
Afterall, Vanos are actually timming controller unlike Hondas VTEC which are Cams 'shifter'. I still think you can create more power out of the engine by meddling with the cams/timming than the timming alone. Guys, if I am wrong in this please correct me!
nope...your'e right..!! I'm not against the Vanos engine...its just that...nyeh..!!! :lol: extra parts means extra cost.!! Thats all.. B)

With the different series swap, eg 3series to 5 series, the drive shaft is a problem. Different length. Normal, you would need to source a second hand drive shaft for the M50 vanos in the 5series.

Cutting the drive shaft is not a thing to be taken becuase it needs to be balanced and the weld needs to be strong enough. Take a look at your drive shaft and imagine if it breaks!. Wah! Disaster, man!.

If used parts can be sourced, the swap is not difficult. Labour may cost a bit. It actually cheaper to buy the right car with the right parts, as they say!.

Originally posted by GeeTRM5@Mar 28 2005, 04:17 AM

black one with sunroof and hamman rims? and with 2.5 turbo?

i saw it at the aircon shop...awesome looking car...

is it urs?

To put a 3 series engine into a 5 series bay is already a challenge. The 3 series engine has 2 engine mounting short from the 5 series (damn blardy kuku german engineer).

The harness has to be changed....ECU etc etc...

Why dun he just get a half cut and do it instead? All the wiring and stuff will be there too. When shopping for the halfcut...remember to ask for the drive shaft as well. And please...not those that has been potong and welded back. It just doesn't work.

Top Bottom