List of Common Failures on the E53 X5. And their cheaper remedies.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

525i

Official Member
After a lot of reading in overseas forums as well as talking to various X5 owners here, here are some of the more common failures in our otherwise excellent car. These are exclusive to the X5. Other common failures from the engine and gearbox, electricals are inherently a BMW problem and not confined to X5. Feel free to add. 1) Air springs. If you have just rear air springs, count yourself lucky. If you have both the front and rear then double your woes. However, Ebay is your friend. 2) Side mirrors unable to fold. Damaged worm gear in the motor. Sifu Jarance is probably the only guy in Malaysia to be able to fix this. Believe me, I've asked around. 3) Outside door handle unable to open. Caused by broken door handle carriage. Again, parts available cheaper on Ebay.4) Power windows unable to wind up or down. caused by broken clips or cable inside the window mechanism. Individual spares available on Ebay or buy a repair kit. 5) Transfer Case Chain. The symptoms are you hear a very loud popping sound or 2 when you accelerate hard from standstill. If you accelerate normally it doesn't happen. This is caused by the transfer case chain lengthening through time and causing it to skip/jump under load. Buy direct from the transfer case manufacturer for a fraction of the price compared to here. I've got No 2, 3 and 5 of the above problems already. Standing by with the parts for 1 and 4 which will eventually happen.

Give the contact for Item 2....I never knew that E53 X5 side mirror can be folded..silly me...

I got the no 1 fixed by fixing the spring ha ha but a new problem occured since the balance sensor still there...sometime it cause the warning light turn 'on' and need to be reset with computer set...

For me, numbers 2, 3 and 4 also "been there, done that". My japanese specs car I think is fitted with air springs, so far so good.

For number 2, yes...Jarance rocks!!!

Whoever buys my car is sure lucky, most parts already replaced

Just added a No.5 to the list. Transfer case chain. Wonder what's next?

Hi 525i / Gurus,

How to know that we are using 2 air spring or 4.

How to know/realise those need to be replaced?

Many thanks

Look underneath your car. If you see coil springs, then you are not using air springs. The air spring looks like a rubber bladder. The X5 can be fitted with all coil springs or 2 rear air springs and 2 front coil springs or 4 air springs. If there is a air spring failure you'll see that your car will lean towards the failed spring side. Also there should be an alarm at your control module.

Not only you, I also tot so hehe
BTW where is Sifu Jarance, How much it cost to repair bro?

Hi dear sifu, I have just bought a 2003 E53, might need some advice about the air suspension.

After used for few month last few day notice sometime the rear suspension was lower than front, today morning event worst, the rear suspension lever was totally drop as the body fender touching the tyer, but when I turn on the engine it slowly level back to normal high, as when i reach office park for few hour its drop again but after start the car auto lever back to standard high again. sometime happen sometime not!!!

Workshop told me don't have to check, its commend for E53, just change the suspension air bag spring will do, no need to check!!
just wandering its that simple? could it be any other possibility? in order not to change part blindly.. so hope to get some knowledge from your sifu first.

I did do some research and notice they do also have few other parts related to it like Air reservoir, air supply device, air supply control unit, holes and so on.

Thank you for help.

Kennytey,

While the air bag spring is most common failure in the x5 rear suspension, it is also wise to check on the related equipment like the air compressor, reservoir tank, air tubing etc...

You should also get a error message on your control module.

If you can wait, buy the airbag from ebay as the price difference is substantial. If I'm not mistaken they will charge you 2k to change locally. Ebay sells for about Rm700 including postage. But need to wait about 2 weeks.

Don't forget the instrument cluster/MID display pixels fading, this is VERY common in X5 E53s which share the same component with the E39 and E38.

I got 1,2,4 just this year. Haha. (T T)
Just did 1. Cost me 5k replacing both rear suspension pneumatics, air reservoirs, shock absorbers, tubes, dampers, mountings, rear wheel alignment n balancing. Thank god D air pump device does not need changing... Yet.

No 4 happen to my RR window just a few weeks back. Cost me 1k for the lifter. The bracket was bent, and cable snapped.

Now I'm very keen to do no 2, DIY. anybody wanna join?

Plus:
- The radio display also needs doing.
- Center console sliding cover broke.
- The headliner 40% collapse

Bonus:
- the e53 engine cuts off after a few seconds. 4men said no compression due to worn out o-ring and proposed an overhaul. Budget 8k, maybe more. Alamak! But he said the engine can still run. Just that it needs to be started daily. (T T)

Car still got book value. Kalau tak I let go dah...

Hi there. I bought an used 2004 E53 3.0i in June this year. Mileage just passed 100k km. Ever since I got until now, I've been repairing it almost once in every 2 weeks.

Major repair: gearbox kong in the 3rd month I got it. Workshop suggested and sourced me a good used one. Spent 11k+ on that repair.

Front and rear absorbers, half of the arms, water pump replaced. Lighting and sound wiring were messed and now fixed.

And just last week, I felt that car wasn't handling well. After checked, front ball joint, steering rack, rear bushings need replacement. This repair job is estimated 6k+. Workshop mentioned that not necessarily to do all things one shot.

I've spent almost 30k on repairs and the car still seems will have many problems coming.

Thus, I am having a dilemma of whether sell it at this point, or keep maintaining it. If there is this of service exists, I would like to have my car fully dianogsed to see any other parts which will due soon. Do you guys know is this possible for me to do so?

I would really love to hear some opinions from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

11k for gearbox!!!???? that's very expensive. i think you should look for another mechanic

gimli said:
11k for gearbox!!!???? that's very expensive. i think you should look for another mechanic
Yeah 11k for the gb is a rip off. Your E53 is using same M54B30 engine as E39 or E46 etc. Gearbox should be ZF 5HP19 I think.

Top Bottom