Kickdown function for e36 auto

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DanPromote

Banned
I've been browsing through the e36 manual & it was written that for auto gearbox, there is a kickdown function to enable overdrive. It seems that it is beyond WOT and you need to use extra force to press the accelerator to enable it. Has anyone tried this before ?

yups, but does it only occassionally (since fuel is expensive). Basically all it does is to downshift to a lower gear, raises your rpm until it hits redline before upshifting again. Well, you'll feel some extra power since your car is running at a higher rpm.

Careful, though. Don't get too carried away with the kickdown button as it will not only burn more fuel, it will also shorten the lifespan of your auto tranny. :D

All auto cars have this kick-down function. :blink:

And I have to use it all the time with my SLOTH! Otherwise, no go.... :(

Seldom use the kickdown function, if I need a sudden surge i just switch to "S" mode. :D

Originally posted by BlueMixWhite@Jan 25 2006, 03:39 PM
So what happen if switch to S mode, drop to L2 and kickdown!! :eek: Anyone wanna give it a try? :yes!:
Why don't you try it and give us a FR on it...thanks! :yahoo:

Originally posted by BlueMixWhite@Jan 25 2006, 03:39 PM
So what happen if switch to S mode, drop to L2 and kickdown!! :eek: Anyone wanna give it a try? :yes!:
Switch to S mode - switches the shift program to a more aggressive one.

Drop to L2 - goes into 2nd gear, S mode is redundant

Kickdown - if you are in 2nd gear, pretty much nothing happens in kickdown, unless you are going at a low rpm, in which case the car may shift down to 1st.

If memory serves me correctly...

Sorry to dissappoint those expecting a compounded effect. BMW engineers anticipate all possible scenarios...

one more condition, when ur rpm already high in 4th gear, there won't be down shifting also....

I fully agree with Iceman .... i saw him in Sg Besi highway that day also was cruisin damn slow .... :D

Your topic has been towed to the appropriate section, in the future please refer to the main forum page for guidance.
There will be a link from the original place of posting leading to the new place (This states the approriate place).
If this thread is a tech question and if you are not sure which catergory to post under, please post under general tech.
If this thread is a 'FS or WTB' then post in the classifieds.

Thank You

-The Moderator

Originally posted by Lee36328@Jan 25 2006, 03:53 PM
Sorry to dissappoint those expecting a compounded effect. BMW engineers anticipate all possible scenarios...
yep... this is called idiot proofing the gearbox :D

Yes Dan, i have. Press gently on your accelerator pedal till you "floor" it. Now, push harder, the pedal will travel a further 1cm or so. Don't stamp, just push firmly. Behind the pedal is a small metal bar with a stiff spring, which "gives" with sufficient pressure. I use it when i'm in 'E' mode and caught unawares by someone who wants to race...Otherwise, keeping it in 'S' mode is more fun. Suggest you try the technique with engine off first.
Cheers.

Mohan

Top Bottom