Interesting A/c problem on E34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BrianJ

Club Guest
Hi guys,I've encounted this a/c 'problem' twice. First time 2 months ago and last was yesterday. Both times it 'fixed itself' after a day.Attached below is a pic for reference. There is this tiny light which comes on when u turn ignition to on position (indicated by green arrow). When this happens, the entire a/c goes silent, meaning there's no blower, no compressor working, nothing.
E34airconpanel10copy.jpg
Checked all fuses at the main box in the engine compartment, under rear seat, all fine. Yesterday i removed the a/c panel, removed all the sockets behind, sprayed contact cleaner. ...nothing changed.Drove to work today no aircon,... Lunch time went out, the tiny light was off, so tried the a/c and everything works fine.Im baffled... anyone knows what that light indicates? Cos both occassions that light came on when the a/c doesnt work. When u dont see that light all will work as per normal. No Naidu here in melaka,...haha...Okie thanks guys.

On my way back this evening, i realised that it could be the receiver/drier that might be getting 'clogged' hence the pressure sensor on the unit may relay a fault message (possibly that small light which im getting), this in turn may 'cut-out' the aircon system for safety measures. All assumptions here.... anyway will go and get the receiver/drier changed 2moro.

Any suggestions, comments / answers from all the Sifus here...
:)

it could be the aircond module (something like the ECU for the aircond) thats why its acting bonkers...my problem is my blower only works at 4, 1,2 & 3 no air but even at 4 the wind blowing out is like at no. 2...mine is confirmed the module..new RM700+..*sigh*

hi thanks XXX,... yes, the module did cross my mind but usually if its this then you'll usually have at least 1 speed working, usually #4,.. just like yours. Well anyway.... it would be worth the 'look-see'.
Thanks mate for your feedback,. really appreciate it.

yeah the module in my brother's e34 is also broken. sometimes when you move the dial the speed of the aircon doesnt change.
to replace is so expensive :(

XXX;324707 said:
it could be the aircond module (something like the ECU for the aircond) thats why its acting bonkers...my problem is my blower only works at 4, 1,2 & 3 no air but even at 4 the wind blowing out is like at no. 2...mine is confirmed the module..new RM700+..*sigh*

its the sword

skinhead;325296 said:
its the sword

myself 2 times already change the swords (2nd hand)...
the blower still wind blowing and a/c still come out even i switch off the 1234 button!!!
what shud i do huh?? really give me headache!!! :(

skinhead;325296 said:
its the sword

Hi bro skinhead,how are things with u..
I am still trying to fix my A/C woes since we last met.My problem is the blower is intermittent at 1 but works fine at 2,3 and 4.But at times,no blower at all at any positions but A/C will normally kick in after a short drive....
Anyway have cleaned the blue solenoid thingy under the blower but still presists.mech suspects the blower carbon....`worth a try

hi guys,

thanks for all the inputs,....

its not the sword cos i have 3 spare swords with me all in working condition and it does not help... tried all this already.

My most important question is: What is that indication light that pops out on the a/c panel whenever the a/c doesnt work..?? Im sure this light should be a fault indicator trying to tell us something.

I've been tracing the wires over the weekend with the help of a wiring diagram and it's pointing towards the direction of a 'near clogged' receiver/drier which triggers the light indicator on the panel.

All said and done, im replacing the receiver/drier tomorrow and i'll know for sure if that's the cause.

Will keep this updated.
thanks.

BrianJ;325534 said:
hi guys,

thanks for all the inputs,....

its not the sword cos i have 3 spare swords with me all in working condition and it does not help... tried all this already.

My most important question is: What is that indication light that pops out on the a/c panel whenever the a/c doesnt work..?? Im sure this light should be a fault indicator trying to tell us something.

I've been tracing the wires over the weekend with the help of a wiring diagram and it's pointing towards the direction of a 'near clogged' receiver/drier which triggers the light indicator on the panel.

All said and done, im replacing the receiver/drier tomorrow and i'll know for sure if that's the cause.

Will keep this updated.
thanks.

Brian you could be right. The receiver/drier has not been changed before. It came with the half cut so i believe it's an original from day 1.

Juz to update,... hv replaced the receiver/drier now for almost 10days oredi and all is perfect,.. issue solved.

erm.. can help with the sword thing??? ermm how does its look like? where it located??
guide pls

told by the aircond mechanic.. also have problem with the 'sword' ... now aircond running at no 4 only.. 1, 2, 3.... no blower..

BrianJ;329321 said:
Juz to update,... hv replaced the receiver/drier now for almost 10days oredi and all is perfect,.. issue solved.

BrianJ, just curious, what is the 'received/drier' part? I look thru realoem under E34's "Heater and air conditioning" section and I don't see a part with that name. I do come across a part with the name 'drying container'.

Appreciate if you can point out the part based on realoem database.

Top Bottom