If youre tired of Using RUNFLATS......

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bimmer910

Club Guest
Went to get new rims today from the man in Sri Damansara. The guy showed me what he recommends to clients who no longer want to use runflats. He will be importing the contikit from germany the coming month. Seems like a good way to save some cash & to get back the pleasure of driving by discarding the runflats. They are horrible into corners.heres the URL for the kit: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jspHope this helps.

Hi Bimmer910, thanks for sharing the info bro. BTW, can you provide more details on where shop is and how much does the contikit cost? BTW, mind sharing what rims you got and probably a post a pic of your ride after the swap? Did you trade in your old rims and how much was the trade-in value?

Thanks in advance for sharing :D

E28driver;215910 said:
whats wrong with just using regular non-RFT tyres?

nothing wrong, that's the point.

RFT cars like the E90 don't provide for spare tires and jack sets. Why, they don't even provide space for a spare tire, not even a spare donut tire.

Actually new M cars don't even bother with spare tires or RFTs to make room for exhaust plus staggered sizing makes it difficult to have a workable spare tire.

So a quality latex-sealant fix-a-flat like the conti kit and the pricey OEM M-mobility kit are recommended for around town use.

Of course, I'd still throw a spare wheel and jack for long drives especially if you're going into deserted places.

WEll, I don't think the run flats are that horrible. Actually, I've had them on the Z4 since 2004 and it actually works well. Actually its a pretty harsh ride due to the stiff side wall but I would disagree with you statement that the run flat tires are horrible in corners.

I'm on the Bridgestone RE040 RFT and they seem to hold its own. Been on all sort of turns and corners and it doesn't seem to be that bad.

I'm not a hater of RFT nor am I a true fan... It works well and I've got to say my RFT are fine except that its a little harsh. As for performance, its almost as good as any other

Agree with Redz4. Actually RFTs should be more stable into corners because of the stiffer sidewalls. Better cornering ability means less comfort, and vice versa. It's an inverse relationship just like in the suspension.

Sifu KL2DC, any knowledge about what you do with a non-RFT tire after using a sealant kit? I read in the Contikit blurb that it may affect the direct TPMS sensor. Say if it's a minor nail puncture, do you have to clean out the sealant (how?) or just repair the puncture and continue driving on the tire? (American spelling for you :) )

Bimmer910;215795 said:
Went to get new rims today from the man in Sri Damansara. The guy showed me what he recommends to clients who no longer want to use runflats. He will be importing the contikit from germany the coming month.

Seems like a good way to save some cash & to get back the pleasure of driving by discarding the runflats. They are horrible into corners.

heres the URL for the kit: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp

Hope this helps.

Hi Bimmer910,
I'm also new to the forum. I'm planning to change to normal tyres when my RFT wears off. I checked out the website n found this conticomforkit really good n helpful since our e90's does not have a spare tyre.
How much does the kit costs? wat about the sealent? is it single use or multiple use? If its single use, how much does it cost to replace a new can of sealent? There is a similar kit made my mercedes benz as some of their CBU w211 does not have spare tyre n comes with this repair kit. Cheers

Hi Bimmer910, I'm keen to know about this kit too, Planning to change my RFTs soon. waiting for your valuable info.

after watching a TV show abt testing runflat on E60...now,I wish they do have it for E30.

Schwepps;215959 said:
Sifu KL2DC, any knowledge about what you do with a non-RFT tire after using a sealant kit? I read in the Contikit blurb that it may affect the direct TPMS sensor. Say if it's a minor nail puncture, do you have to clean out the sealant (how?) or just repair the puncture and continue driving on the tire? (American spelling for you :) )

Don't worry, your upcoming E90 Sports rolls with an DSC-based FTM not the TPMS as found on the E92s/E93s.

Its important once again to reemphasize how your fix-a-flat should only be latex based. The green goo (silicone based) popular with other fix-a-flats are a pain in the ass to clean off the wheels and causes imbalance of the wheels. Latex is easier to remove. So far the good ones are the abovementioned contikit and the OEM M-mobility kit.

What happens to the tires? Depends on the damage, they can still be patched if patchable.

KL2DC;216057 said:
Don't worry, your upcoming E90 Sports rolls with an DSC-based FTM not the TPMS as found on the E92s/E93s.

Its important once again to reemphasize how your fix-a-flat should only be latex based. The green goo (silicone based) popular with other fix-a-flats are a pain in the ass to clean off the wheels and causes imbalance of the wheels. Latex is easier to remove. So far the good ones are the abovementioned contikit and the OEM M-mobility kit.

What happens to the tires? Depends on the damage, they can still be patched if patchable.

OK, so we should avoid silicone based kits. Assuming the flat is a patchable nail/screw puncture, the latex should be cleaned off the inside of the tire and wheels or they'll be imbalanced? Makes sense. Easy job or a pain in the ass anyway? I have a feeling our tire shops will clean up the wheel but baulk at cleaning up the tire and will just ask you to replace it (for commercial reasons too) I wonder if anyone has any experience of using a repair kit. :confused:

Conti-kit

rookie;215807 said:
Hi Bimmer910, thanks for sharing the info bro. BTW, can you provide more details on where shop is and how much does the contikit cost? BTW, mind sharing what rims you got and probably a post a pic of your ride after the swap? Did you trade in your old rims and how much was the trade-in value?

Thanks in advance for sharing :D

Hi guys,
Sorry for the delayed response. I didnt change my tyres & rims as expected, because i wasnt offered a Buy-back on my 80% threads. So i think i'll wait till they start to wear out further before changing them. I have my eye on a set of BBS - cause they arent staggered. Theyde fit beautifully.

As for the conti-kit, im pleased to say that it is in the region of RM800-00 and can be used on any car, any tyre.

The kit can be used multiple times and when it runs out, refils are priced at RM180-00. These are all initial costs, and im certain they will come down in the near future.

The kits will be arriving in june, and i will post the date as soon as i get an idea.

For further info : call edward @0132722120. As i understand it, he is the largest parallel importer of "orginal bimmer rims". I found him to be knowledgeable and fair.

Hope this helps.

RM800 seems high considering tire rack is going at US$79. How is that? Not becos of tax rite?

Yeah man, the Tire Rack price is US$79. Let's say you add a generous 50% for freight and duty, that gives a cost of RM400. So our friend intends to sell at a 100% markup. :eek: Almost as bad as ori BMW markups!

hi guys,
pls enlighten me, what is the contikit,,,, .... is it something like a inflation kit...???

whats tire rack?

Schwepps;217101 said:
Yeah man, the Tire Rack price is US$79. Let's say you add a generous 50% for freight and duty, that gives a cost of RM400. So our friend intends to sell at a 100% markup. :eek: Almost as bad as ori BMW markups!

Whats "tire rack"?

Schwepps, why dont you and I consider going into bussiness together? Im sure we'd make a killing at RM600 a kit :)

As mentioned though, these are initial costings, so i think the prices will come down considerably once Edward see's the error of his ways.

Top Bottom