I couldn't turn my key...it's stuck! E36 318i 1997

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GreenHornet86

Club Guest
this morning after i washed my car, i try to turn the ignition on...BUT, something weird happen. i couldn't turn my key pass the ACC. ok, let's put it in a simple way.1.i put in my key into the ignition.2.turn it into first click (steering lock, i guess)3.turn it into ACC, but couldn't. (the ABS indicator will show, along with radio, if I hold the key into that position)4.became pissed-off and tell all of you.please all the sifus and old-timers and everybody who have been thru this situation before, really need your help. what happen to my car? :stupid:

the mechanism stuck... Try spraying some silicon lube or lithium grease into the keyhole.. If possible, don't use WD-40..

Your ride is toying with you bro. Happy April Fools' :p

Jokes apart, hope you get it resolved soon.

fabianyee;729273 said:
the mechanism stuck... Try spraying some silicon lube or lithium grease into the keyhole.. If possible, don't use WD-40..

where can i find the silicon lube or lithium grease? thank you boss...:burnout:

Hardware shop, DIY shop... maybe KY Jelly oso can... :p Ramsing would probably ask u to try ghee... :smokin:

This is one of them
http://www.3inone.com/products/silicone-spray/

11oz-sil65174892.jpg

fabianyee;729273 said:

Bro, what substance found in WD40 is bad?

WD-40 oso can use... Just lesser lubricating effects in comparison... In fact, the Silicon Spray I mentioned above is made by the same company producing WD-40...

alamak, already try using the silicone spray...but still, the key stuck at the same stage...

i wonder maybe it's something to do with the steering lock, seems that when i turn the key the lock isn't released. if the lock isn't release yet, then that's why the key couldn't be turn into 'START' stage...even ACC stage also stuck. arghhh~

Happened to me once before.

After i shake the steering wheel a bit, i was able to turn the key and start the car.

Maybe same situation?

BobTheBuilder;729416 said:
Happened to me once before.

After i shake the steering wheel a bit, i was able to turn the key and start the car.

Maybe same situation?

correctto! if i wiggle the steering a bit (before this serious case happened), the steering will be released and can be started. but now even i wiggle it hard, still won't release..haish~

called my uncle yesterday (happened to be the head foreman at AB,JB), he said that maybe the keyhole didn't 'bite' the key properly, or something is broken inside...but he's in KL now so it's pointless. maybe have to tow it to the nearest bimmer workshop and get it done. $$$$$

when something similar happened to my E30, I opened up the cover, remove the module at the back of the key barrel, start the engine with a screwdriver.. :p
In my case, something is stuck inside, some spray was enuf to unstuck it and no issue till now..

met another hardcore bimmer driver just now. he said that maybe the steering-lock mechanism isn't functioning. maybe the spring inside already broken, and i have to replace the whole key-housing (not the keyhole block). anyone of you know how much does it cost? because i have to tow it first to the nearest workshop, and that's RM 200 already gone. $$$$...(because, y'know, unauthorized mechanic will also ask you to replace here and there too) :rock:

My god! The key-housing alone set me back around RM550...is there anyone knows where to find the part on a cheap? I mean lower than 550 la. Tq...

Can always DIY to remove the panel to access from underneath... Then again, depends how much of a grease monkey you are...

My car key stuck too. After spray with silicone so far ok.
Can we service the ignition barrel. Any diy manual to refer.

Respected bmwclubmalaysia members,

I am new to the forum.

I have a problem with my 318i M (E 36) ignition key. It was remotely locking/unlocking remotely but I was noting that the distance from which it can operate was reducing with the passage of time.

Now it has stopped working completely and I have to manually open & close the central lock. Also, I have noticed that the anti-theft alarm light which used to blink near the gear shift is not visible.

I was thinking of changing the ignition key battery myself.

Is it advisable based on your experience ?

I am also attaching the picture of the key to identify its type.

Regards,

View attachment 24191

Sorry all for not replying...been away for quite sometimes now from the forum.

Bro joe_pkb: the barrel can't be serviced, apparently. If your key stucked like the problem of mine, you better have it checked at the nearest bmw workshop. My problem was, the lock mechanism inside the barrel already broke. So i have to replace it.

Mr. Ayub: for any alarm or remote related problems, please refer to any authorized bmw service centre. A precautionary measure for security issue. :)

Top Bottom