How to know the car got LSD

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kacyp

Club Guest
Just wanna to know how we want identify our car got LSD or not? without sending to mech offcourse :D Anyone can help? thanks

Sadistic way = rev up to 5k RPM and dump the clutch. Observe the wheel spin. If the car has traction on one wheel hence making it go sideways etc then you have it :)

Clinical way = jack up the rear end and spin one wheel. If the other wheel doesn't move then you don;t have it.

Go the sadistic way.

jack the rear side of the car, try spinning the wheels, they shud turn on opposite direction :D

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@Dec 7 2005, 10:00 PM
Sadistic way = rev up to 5k RPM and dump the clutch. Observe the wheel spin. If the car has traction on one wheel hence making it go sideways etc then you have it :)

Clinical way = jack up the rear end and spin one wheel. If the other wheel doesn't move then you don;t have it.

Go the sadistic way.
thanks, maybe i will try the clinical way :lol:

1) jack up 1 rear wheel while the other rear wheel is firmly on the ground. but make sure to secure the 'grounded' rear wheel with brick/stone.
2) Release the handbrake.
3) try turn the jacked up wheel.

if can turn without much resistance, then it's open diff. If cannot turn easily, then congrats...

REMEMBER to release the handbrake for this test and also the bricks..

Wa liao, why so ma fan?!

Just tell us the model of the BMW/car and we'll tell you if it has one!

If not, just try turning/manouvering the car in a tight spot, ie. a car park, and listen hard for "clunking" coming from the rear. If "yes", then got, if "not", then no.

Necc,

Err...mine is an e34 525i (A) 95'. Got ah? LSD can fix in mah! Maybe kacyp suspect previous owner did a mod on it :p

Hmmm mine when jack up, turn one side the other turns the opposite way and mine clunks when on and off the gas. Its a 4.45 diff when i looked but no sign indicating LSD on the serial. Could mine be LSD also? :unsure:

manual or auto?if auto rev up to 5*1000 then pull gear down to '3'.,spin for few meters,get off ur car to see the mark on the road.,got 2 mark or one mark? hehe
for manual?do the same lar

if you really wanna look it up, there's a sheet metal label on the diff... if it start with an 's' then the diff ratio number, it's an LSD. for example S3.25

if it doesnt begin with an 'S', too bad.. :(

whah, my is 320 e30 manual, currently no time to check using the method u guys recommend maybe this weekend :D

u must've been one lucky fella if u car comes with LSD. Unless the previous owner is a car freak and installed it.

LSD is an optional item and most malaysian BMW didn't have that as option. Don't think it's even available as an option back then.

I think it's priced at >RM5k if u were to buy it from BMW.

Originally posted by lildevil@Dec 9 2005, 01:23 AM
err may I ask, what is this LSD thing for? sorry
It's a vitamin called lysergic acid diethylamide. Something you take before going on Sepang.

*sorry* I couldn't help it" LSD stands for limited slip differential. Let me seen in the easiest form. Normal cars are fitted with a slip differential so solve the problem of the inner wheel going faster than the outer wheel when you take a corner and that makes it very tricky to drive. i.e. drive to one wheel is either on or off. Whilst with a LSD, it is never off, it is always partially on for come action. Then you will start to hear about stuff like 25% lock, 40% lock etc...That determines the amount of slip permitted. Generally, the higher the %, the less slip is allowed.

Let me know if you need a more technical explaination. Would be more than happy to type more :)

Originally posted by lildevil@Dec 8 2005, 12:23 PM
err may I ask, what is this LSD thing for? sorry
It is used primarily for 2 reasons;

1. By drivers who don't know how to drive as an excuse for their crappy driving, and;

2. By drivers who don't know how to drive to claim like they know how to drive.

Hahahaha!

(BTW, I'm referring to myself in "point 2".)

Top Bottom