Hi From Another Newbie

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GreenBavarian

Club Guest
Hi everyone. Been following the forums here the last few weeks and find many helpful sifus always willing to dispense advice.I am looking to join the exclusive club of E39 owners soon and have been looking at a few potential units. Just viewed one 520I 2.2 double vanos year 2002 today and find it to be in good satisfactory condition. Below is the link to the mudah.my ad.http://www.mudah.my/BMW+520i+E39-14779253.htm?last=1Issues found after viewing:
  • The original stereo set has been replaced with an after-market non-standard Pioneer set. See picture below:View attachment 24768The problem is this has rendered the buttons on the multifunction steering wheel useless, and to me this makes the experience in the car less enjoyable. I plan to replace this back with an original BMW (or compatible) set to make the buttons work again. Where can I find this and what is the cost?
  • The power window on the left rear passenger side doesn't work. Could this be a common issue with the E39 as another unit I viewed also had the same problem? What is the cost to repair/replace?
  • The power steering hose needs to be replaced
  • Some traces of engine oil noticed on the front left side of the engine. Could this be a problem with the vanos seal or something more serious?
Other than the above, some minor touch-up of the exterior will be expected.Would a price of RM55k which I plan to offer be reasonable for this car? What other parts are recommended to be replaced once I take delivery?Hope to get your advice soon.Thanks in advance.

Take you time to view the other cars as well.. Do not rush, or else you'll regret later. Try to find minimum troublematic car (a.k.a lemon car).

Go for bigger CC engine bro (perhaps 525 and above), and you won't find yourself in regretful situation in future...:rock:

GreenBavarian;744734 said:
Hi everyone. Been following the forums here the last few weeks and find many helpful sifus always willing to dispense advice.
I am looking to join the exclusive club of E39 owners soon and have been looking at a few potential units. Just viewed one 520I 2.2 double vanos year 2002 today and find it to be in good satisfactory condition. Below is the link to the mudah.my ad.

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+520i+E39-14779253.htm?last=1

Issues found after viewing:
  1. The original stereo set has been replaced with an after-market non-standard Pioneer set. See picture below:
    View attachment 24768
    The problem is this has rendered the buttons on the multifunction steering wheel useless, and to me this makes the experience in the car less enjoyable. I plan to replace this back with an original BMW (or compatible) set to make the buttons work again. Where can I find this and what is the cost?
  2. The power window on the left rear passenger side doesn't work. Could this be a common issue with the E39 as another unit I viewed also had the same problem? What is the cost to repair/replace?
  3. The power steering hose needs to be replaced
  4. Some traces of engine oil noticed on the front left side of the engine. Could this be a problem with the vanos seal or something more serious?
Other than the above, some minor touch-up of the exterior will be expected.
Would a price of RM55k which I plan to offer be reasonable for this car? What other parts are recommended to be replaced once I take delivery?

Hope to get your advice soon.

Thanks in advance.

I dont think this power windows problem is common for e39. U must make sure the power window is jammed or motor is not working. If the power window is jammed then is super easy to settle.

Thanks everyone for the advice and warm welcome. Hope to end my hunt soon. Well keep you guys posted.

Best regards

Hi everyone. Checked out the following today.
http://www.mudah.my/BMW+E39+2+5+Auto-15571585.htm

Found it to be in quite good condition. Owner only willing to go down to RM63k ie. RM2k discount. Do you think this is reasonable for a year 2003 525 model with 170000 km on the clock? The engine had been changed recently.

Am thinking of going for this.

Regards

Top Bottom