help: m20 Auto to Manual Swap

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

drools

Club Guest
Dear all,Yet another bump in petrol prices (& no doubt not the last) may have been the much needed kick in the ass for me to finally convert my e30 auto m20b20 to manual I have a manual gearboxNow:1. What else do I need?2. How much will it cost?3. Where should I do it?boy, I remember when the litre counter on the pump went up faster than the money counter...didn't think I was that old! :(

Manual trannys are quite rare and when you do find them, expect to pay a premium.

Converting frm an auto to a manual is not as easy as you might think:
1. You need to find a suitable tranny.
2. You need to find a suitable longshaft. (autos are shorter, manuals are longer)
3. You need to find the appropriate differential with the correct ratio to preserve the correct driving range that will suit the tranny and car.
4. You need a new assembly for pedals as you now need a clutch.
5. You also need to purchase a clutch reservior and the corresponding hydraulic lines and valves that are needed in a hydraulic clutch system.
6. Now you need to punch a hole in your firewall so that your clutch pedal can connect to the clutch system.
7. A new clutch plate, pressure plate and seal needs to be purchased as well.

Still want to transplant? Hope this helps.........

Originally posted by kevster30@Aug 5 2005, 10:21 AM
Manual trannys are quite rare and when you do find them, expect to pay a premium.

Converting frm an auto to a manual is not as easy as you might think:
1. You need to find a suitable tranny.
2. You need to find a suitable longshaft. (autos are shorter, manuals are longer)
3. You need to find the appropriate differential with the correct ratio to preserve the correct driving range that will suit the tranny and car.
4. You need a new assembly for pedals as you now need a clutch.
5. You also need to purchase a clutch reservior and the corresponding hydraulic lines and valves that are needed in a hydraulic clutch system.
6. Now you need to punch a hole in your firewall so that your clutch pedal can connect to the clutch system.
7. A new clutch plate, pressure plate and seal needs to be purchased as well.

Still want to transplant? Hope this helps.........
hmmmm.....ive seen this reply b4....cut and paste ah? he he :D :D

seriuosly mebbe can put this as a sticky for our technical reference FAQ.

Top Bottom