help! I think i fried my batt.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

WGT523

Club Guest
dear all, was travelling from jb to seremban, notice smell in my car. Thought the aircon gpne. But once reached n open the booth, the smell was terrible n also smoke on the batt. Anybody have any experience on this?help.

I believe the voltage regulator of your alternator has seen it's best days. Suggest that you check your alternator immediately. A word of caution the fumes are very toxic.

If u need any assist of finding workshop to check your car wiring at Seremban just pm me.

hi thank. Yeap, the smell is bad. Instead of 170km/hr, i drove slower than 20footer truck. Check the battery this morning and it covered with asid spill n stain the whole compartment. Spent the whole mprning cleaning. Notice the asid already taking chemical action on metal. F**k. Have to send for wash,sanding n spray.
The question is, it is due to alternator, bad battery or drove too fast for straight 2hrs.

if acid is spilling out, it means that the battery is overcharged. This is due to OVER VOLTAGE from the alternator.

Regardless of the RPM, the voltage should be about 14.5 Volt. Your slip ring regulator could be faulty.
get it check and most probably the battery is fried.

hi, how do we check the voltage? Can a multimeter measure that on the battery when on engine start?thanks

WGT523;600858 said:
hi, how do we check the voltage? Can a multimeter measure that on the battery when on engine start?thanks

Yes, the voltage can be measure with a multimeter at the battery terminals.

check the voltage by rev up the engine speed to above 3000 rpm. It should not be more than 14.5V

hi, no. It came with the car when i bought it in jul09. Am on dry batt century din66.
Just confirmed by meng of m speed my alternator is still good. Result at 14.0 +/-0.1.
Guess that battery time up. Thks

Top Bottom