heavy petrol smell

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Thongwa

My 523 having heavy petrol smell when i stop the car ,anybody experience this, please advise, thanks

1. what year is your car manufactured in?
2. petrol smell where...in the car?outside?engine bay?at the trunk?

this....possible leak cause.located at the front LH side and under the intake manifold...for m54 engine

Mine is a 523i 2007 e60. Managed to get the problem fixed. It was due to clogged filter inside the fuel pump. So badly clogged that fuel was all over the cover of the fuel pump,
all bro if this thing happen to you , please take note, ask your mechanic to cover your car seat first before open because the pressure push the petrol out and make inside the car smell of petrol badly. Mechanic said it's a rare problem. Cost: Fuel Pump RM780; Fuel filter w/o sensor RM535; Screw cap RM27; Labour RM120. Total RM1,470.

Hi, I really need some help here, I just bought a second hand e60 520i year 2005 in few weeks before. The problem is my gas tank was crack and petrol leak macam air paip all the way from kl to kluang, nasib baik tak terbakar, tak Ada langar apa-apa di highway, asking if anyone know how much the price of used fuel tank and where I can get it? Thanks fans!

Jeffsofea,

for used parts try to call below

1. Vixxx custom
2. PKL
3. Optimum
4. BOMIN (worksyop not the spareparts)
5. Mspeed

I belive all of their contact available in list of good worksyop thread or validated vendor sections

dear Thongwa, issit possible just to clean it or service the filter without change all above, its like simple job job only, maybe we can DIY..

Hye all,

I'm curious everytime i got back home and park my car I noticed there's petrol smell on the back-left fender. Is it critical? What would be the possibilities of the smell? e60 523i year 2009

Thank you

The fuel pumps and filter are located underneath the rear passenger seat. If I were you, I would immediately have it check for leak as this is hazardous.

cheesywedges said:
Hye all,

I'm curious everytime i got back home and park my car I noticed there's petrol smell on the back-left fender. Is it critical? What would be the possibilities of the smell? e60 523i year 2009

Thank you

Thanks Herbert for your response,

Can you suggest me any workshop and spare part shop for me? I'm still learning though...Thank you in advance

If you are located in PJ, Subang Jaya, then go to M Speed @ USJ. For Ampang, Cheras go to WP Auto @ Pandan Mewah. You can goggle to get full address and contact details. I suggest that you let the workshop find out where the leak is coming from and allow them to supply you with replacement parts.

I'm in bangi, i remembered doing my service in pandan mewah..will go and have them check it out for me this weekend...i dont wanna end up burnt alive lol
Thanks bro

I logged in to the site after years of being inactive for this very reason. I will share my experience so far with you guys.

Same thing, petrol smell for a couple of weeks, dunno where its coming from. not very strong, and only detectable when stopping the car after driving it and from the outside only.

Car is E60 523i 2010, mileage around 116k km. quoted the following:

in-tank pump: RM 1349.77
fuel filter: RM 559.82
RIGHT FUEL L (dont know what this is): RM 355.86

I spoke to SA at Wearnes Segambut (where the car gets serviced), he was reluctant to release the car if I didnt want to do the repairs immediately because he said it's, quote, dangerous. Now instead of saying ill go somewhere cheaper i told them just go ahead and change what needs to be changed, its not up to me to approve the repairs or not because its my mother's car, i spoke to him because she wanted my input on how important the parts where. she goes to work daily in that car what the hell has she been driving around in a fire hazard?

This is where i got annoyed and fired off an email to BMW Malaysia:

I have a technical issue regarding a wear and tear component.

The car in question was sent in for routine servicing and also to check for leaks, for a while now we had noticed a petrol smell in the garage but could not pinpoint the origin.

Service advisor from Wearnes Segambut informed us today that the fuel pump and its housing needed to be replaced as it was leaking, I understand that this is a wear and tear item so I have no issue with that. This also explains the petrol smell.

I am however a little bit worried about procedure, as far as i know there are two fuel pumps underneath the rear bench. I am replacing only one as I have been informed that the other one is in good condition. My worry, which was confirmed by the service advisor, is a potential fire hazard of waiting for the pump/housing to wear and leak so that the smell can indicate that it needs to be replaced.

The service advisor recommended the repair which i agreed with and said he would be reluctant to release the car had i refused because of the safety issue.

My question is this: If there is no recommended replacement interval for the fuel pump are BMW drivers in danger of driving their cars around waiting for a petrol smell to indicate that it is time to replace it? I understand the concept of condition based maintenance/replacement but for something as potentially dangerous as this shouldn't there be extra steps taken e.g. opening the back bench and checking the fuel pumps and housing every 40k km for example? I feel that waiting for a petrol smell results in an unsafe period where a driver is driving around not knowing about a fire hazard.

I look forward to hearing from BMW on this matter.

email was sent last friday (27th feb, 2015) and i got a call from service manager (SM) of wearnes yesterday (monday, 2nd march 2015). i am not upset with him or the SA, but the SM said BMW doesnt have a typical replacement mileage for this issue (whichever parts are involved) because they are expensive so it goes by condition. to me this is ridiculous, wait until petrol smell comes out then drive to service centre? what if theres a spark on the way there?

I told him please tell BMW malaysia to get back to me, for comparison Honda recommends a replacement interval of 80k km to pre-empt failure of the part (fuel pump). he said he will do so and i am waiting for them to get in touch. will update this thread when they do. i want an explanation as to why there is no better system in place than to "wait for the smell".

hey guys,

Finally I went to the workshop in Bangi to change the fuel pump as the upper part that connects the pump and the hose are already cracked. Guess what, petrol already built up around that area. Here I attached the photos for your viewing. As what worries me the most is, how if we're driving alone on daylight and suddenly there's fire at the back of your car :59: The cost of a new set of fuel pump and labour cost are RM 680. I'm going to monitor for the coming few days and keep you guys updated.

2u3wcix.jpg

2hdctph.jpg

1zf6g7b.jpg

And last but not least, sorry for my question. Is it normal for back passenger (left side) seat feel warm. Only that particular area though, is it normal for e60? i never encounter this situation before with my previous car, Accord.

Drive safe. Cheers :67:

Hi all,

I noticed my e60 M54 engine got petrol leakage at LH side passenger side. My mechanic said it is O-Ring spoiled. Mostly is because of fuel pump is it true? Or shall i proceed change it?

bro...if your mech oledi confirm the leak...don't lah wait summore....petrol leak dangerous lor

Huhuhu, change it already. Dont know it change correct things or not since every one here mostly change fuel pump car petrol smell very heavy now after repair. It need stay overnight to double confirm the things change correct or not.

Sometimes the rubber get worn out after thousands of KM though, even the smallest tiny gap can caused huge impact. Prevention is better :D

Yah, rubber worn out and the petrol leaked. Confirmed already and fixed. Hope i wont get burned in the car. Haha. Still love my E60

Top Bottom