Hard starting M50

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ghostrider-SG

Club Guest
Hi guys...can someone give me some suggestion for my funny problem.My car starts on 1 crank in the morning. Then after when I drive it around for a while and I park (say around 2-3 hours) then the car will have problem starting, I need to crank at least 3 times before it will fire up.So if I need to stop for more than 2 hours, I will look for a slight slope where I park head sloping down. That way when I start, it will fire up on 1 crank. If its parked head facing up or even on a level ground, the same problem will happen. People tell me its the problem with the fuel regulator...I have not changed it yet..cos the mech told me might not be that but if he change for me and still the problem stays, he cannot give me a refund.Any suggestions ??

Try STP fuel line cleaner.Pour it in wif ur tank is half-full.Drive hard till u finish ur fuel.This is the basic n cheap stuff u could do be4 all the other expensive ones.Good Luck!

Regards B)

Could be you fuel pump. When this problem occurs did you notice a noise coming from the back just before you crank the engine?

Originally posted by wolverine@May 10 2005, 05:12 PM
Try STP fuel line cleaner.Pour it in wif ur tank is half-full.Drive hard till u finish ur fuel.This is the basic n cheap stuff u could do be4 all the other expensive ones.Good Luck!

Regards B)
I have tried that before...even most recently I pour 8L of toulune into the fuel tank to clean the bugger with 40L of V power....result is the same.

Originally posted by Fireblade@May 10 2005, 11:48 PM
Could be you fuel pump. When this problem occurs did you notice a noise coming from the back just before you crank the engine?
There is a sound when I cold start in the morning (1st start)...a shssss....sound. But the engine will fire up on 1 crank.

The problem is when the engine has been left off for 2 hours above, the hard starting problem will surface. Park head down on a slope will slove this...I dun think its the fuel pump...cos if its the fuel pump...then I would have problems all the time and not just re starting.

Maybe its the BMW gremlins...... :aggressive: :aggressive: :aggressive:

Hmmm...a bit drastic measure leh...sucking on the return hose...I will try it...will let you guys know how Shell 98 taste like.... :p :p

Originally posted by Ghostrider-SG@May 11 2005, 11:42 AM
Hmmm...a bit drastic measure leh...sucking on the return hose...I will try it...will let you guys know how Shell 98 taste like.... :p :p
taste better with a ciggie.... ha..ha.. :D

Originally posted by Ghostrider-SG@May 10 2005, 04:51 PM
Hi guys...can someone give me some suggestion for my funny problem.

My car starts on 1 crank in the morning. Then after when I drive it around for a while and I park (say around 2-3 hours) then the car will have problem starting, I need to crank at least 3 times before it will fire up.

So if I need to stop for more than 2 hours, I will look for a slight slope where I park head sloping down. That way when I start, it will fire up on 1 crank. If its parked head facing up or even on a level ground, the same problem will happen.

People tell me its the problem with the fuel regulator...I have not changed it yet..cos the mech told me might not be that but if he change for me and still the problem stays, he cannot give me a refund.

Any suggestions ??
Hi Dude,

It sounds like a fuel regulator problem. I also had this starting problem and it improved after I replaced it.

Another thing is, it could also be your stater motor.
Can check that one out.

Top Bottom