Getrag 240 - advice sought

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rayncc

Club Guest
Dear all,My year 1991 E30 318i M40 is presently bolted with a Getrag 240 gearbox with the following set of numbers/description on the housing (presumably the part no.?) :-240.0.0366.91 225 3.2My question is whether can a Getrag 240 with the following different description compatible with my car?240.0.0132.90 225 1.1From my brief search from the net, the above gearbox was used in E30 M10.If compatible, will the gearing ratio still be the same?Regards,Raymond

the bell housing is different, the bolt holes are different, so it won't bolt onto the M40...

i got one manual box which is took out from M20b20 engine .......

same as 318 gearbox @ getrag 240....

give me a call if u interested .....

tq

fabianyee;613522 said:
the bell housing is different, the bolt holes are different, so it won't bolt onto the M40...

Thanks Fabian.

My gearbox was recently repaired & reassembled at BM World after a shoddy work by an other workshop. But a new problem cropped up after a week of driving. Problem when engaging Reverse as the 'push' (tension) to slot into the far left gate in engaging R was no longer felt. Got the feeling that the gearbox may give up on one day. Very frustrating really. Found a Getrag 240 but of M10 variant.

M20 and M40 G240 oso different bell housing... The spacing between the 2 big bolts is different...

However, u can source for a M50 gearbox.. same bolt pattern... can fit with minimal mods... but need to change the rear diff to match the gear ratio...

rayncc;613527 said:
Thanks Fabian.

My gearbox was recently repaired & reassembled at BM World after a shoddy work by an other workshop. But a new problem cropped up after a week of driving. Problem when engaging Reverse as the 'push' (tension) to slot into the far left gate in engaging R was no longer felt. Got the feeling that the gearbox may give up on one day. Very frustrating really. Found a Getrag 240 but of M10 variant.

Actually i had that same issue because on overhauling the box I (along with my mech, we were overhauling the box for the first time just for the hell of it) forgot to properly seat the spring for the reverse gear. Its located at the back of the box.

Coincidentally, my M40's G240 has the opposite issue. It takes a great deal of effort to get into reverse. I'm used to it by now, but my dad complains about it whenever he has to drive the car.

Have the same thing here, it take a great effort when it is cold, but once it warm up then it is ok, wonder why ???

Top Bottom