First time E39 Buyer

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mr_arcam

Club Guest
Hi All,I am in the process of trading in my 2006 Honda City for BMW 525i 2003 CKD as I want a safer car to compliment my Land cruiser. Every time I get in the City I feel like I am in a tin can waiting to be recycled.. I have read numerous posts on what to look out for but would prefer to send the car for a pro checkup. Are there any recommendations of who I can send the car to first for a full checkup before buying. I am considering sending to BMW Malaysia service but unsure if there are other better alternatives.Thanks in advanceStan

Hi Stan,

As a formality, please go to the newbie section and introduce yourself. Anyway welcome to the club which I am sure you will find it extremely useful with tons and tons of information contributed by our kind bros. It is certainly wise to send the car for pre-purchase check-up and then nego the price with the dealer. Depending on where you are located and your preference, there are numerous recommeded BMW workshops. Of course you can also send it to Auto Bavaria but then I don't think they will allow you to personally view the car when they are performing the checkings. Since the car is a CKD unit, it may also be a good idea to check the service records with Auto Bavaria. Go to any Auto-Bavaria service centres and just give them the car registration number.

Thanks for info. I am pretty much ready to move on the deal tomorrow just want to make sure I get the best possible checkup before signing the papers. I think for now I will take it to Auto Bavaria with a nice big list of items to check (courtesy of the forums), though not sure how much they are willing to confirm. If list too long it probably take days not hours!

Any key items you think Auto Bavaria will be able to quickly check?

Cheers

Do a test drive and check for 'loose' steering feel. Suspension parts are VERY expensive to repair. In fact after owning an E39 for 18 months and spent RM13,000 , most of that went to the suspension parts for example shock absorbers, lower/upper arms, steering rack, rods.

I took it for a test drive and tried WOT and cruising at 100KM. Engine felt very smooth with no vibration through steering when under load. Steering also felt very tight with no play. However I was quite surprised about how heavy the steering felt compared to my Honda City and Land cruiser. I assume the E39 in general had heavy steering. Is this the general case?

Test drive is very impoortant, lookout for transmission noise or jerkiness in shifting. Steering rack oil leak, engine oil leak, coolant colour and check that the odometer is not tampered with, blown gasket, catalytic converter, power windows all working, electric seat moving in all directions, check the service history, mine was serviced in AB from new therfore all serviced parts is BMW ori parts nad not OEM. Check undercarriage, transmission mount, engine mount are all in good shape. make sure all the warning lights is not lit, check control is ok with no faults etc. Yes the steering do feel heavy, thats normal for all BMW's. I guess thats all i could think of at the moment. Good Luck in your purchase, may i ask how much is the car? is it black in colour?

Thanks for the advice and I will ask AB to check the items mentioned. The color is classic silver.

Cheers

mr_arcam;477170 said:
I took it for a test drive and tried WOT and cruising at 100KM. Engine felt very smooth with no vibration through steering when under load. Steering also felt very tight with no play. However I was quite surprised about how heavy the steering felt compared to my Honda City and Land cruiser. I assume the E39 in general had heavy steering. Is this the general case?

Yes bro, that is a typical E39 steering feel. Much heavier than the E46.

mr_arcam;477159 said:
Thanks for info. I am pretty much ready to move on the deal tomorrow just want to make sure I get the best possible checkup before signing the papers. I think for now I will take it to Auto Bavaria with a nice big list of items to check (courtesy of the forums), though not sure how much they are willing to confirm. If list too long it probably take days not hours!

Any key items you think Auto Bavaria will be able to quickly check?

Cheers

Do a proper diagnostic first. Make sure all the sensors are in good health. Then, pay special attention to the cooling system such as the radiator, thermorstat, water pump, impeller, water tank, radiator outlet sensor and hoses. E39 cooling system is very vulnerable.

Top Bottom