Eyeing on a E46 320i - gearbox issues?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jasonp

Club Guest
Hi guys its me again. I posted before on the 325i but it slipped away (lost the chance of getting it). Now i am eyeing on a 320i e46 year 2000 currently selling at a good price. Current owner is the first owner who got it and registered in year 2005. On general servicing and maintenance part i am ok with it. But i am very worried about gearbox issues. I have noticed that some of the forumers here reported on gearbox failures and etc. If the gearbox is properly maintained by the previous owner.... it should be good for another 200k mileage? The current mileage is now 110k. The most worrying thing is automatic gearboxes actually from what i see. So does 320i e46 face common gearbox issues?Please advise.

hi jasonp. my uncle's e46 325i gearbox went kaput. paid around rm6K++ for the overhaul. but i'm not sure
if it is the same with a 320i e46 gearbox.

another thing with 80's bmw models using ZF4HP, you cannot rev the engine in P or N or else you will damage the gearbox. I am not sure
if this applies to newer models like e46.
i am sure other forumers can advise you more...

i'm using my 320i with no problems at all....
mine year manu 2001 and registered here in 2007....

smooth only.... just had the gearbox fluid changed last 10k...

but what i believe is if the gearbox fluid is changed every 50k or well taken care off then should not be a prob...
why not before you buy take it for a check/diagnostic before buying?

I am driving 318i, year 2002 e46. Suggest that you do a diagnostic of the car before purchasing it. My car runs fine but I just got it for 2 months. Immediately I got the car, I changed the engine oil and the auto transmission oil. I am going to a routine maintenance every 5-7K km.

Top Bottom