Engine vibrates/dies at cold start.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kelvinp

Club Guest
Hi guys,My problem started last week. The engine seems not to idle properly after starting it in the mornings or when the engine is cold. I'll need to rev to 1.5K RPM for about a minute or so to heat up the engine to get it to idle properly. I visited my mech and he took out the icv and cleaned it but the problem still persist the next morning.I'm sad to see the engine not idling properly and sometimes dies-off during morning and cold-starts.. It has been always idling healthily since i owned it.Anyone can educate me on whats the problem im facing?

Sounds like the AFM is not sending the proper readings. Since the ICV has been serviced try the AFM..next.

Also check on the CO readings

could it also be ur spark plug cables???
another thing clould also be vacuum hose leak??
any sifus care to advice?

rgds,
-brad-

Still sounds more like the ICV. Even though it has been cleaned, it could yet be faulty.

Originally posted by MTek1318@Nov 30 2005, 06:05 AM
Still sounds more like the ICV. Even though it has been cleaned, it could yet be faulty.
hey bro,icv also got hoses right?
wht if the hoses r worn and cracked?can it give out the same probs???

kelvinp,

sometimes, it's hard to diagnose these kind of problems. if idle is bad, it can be due to icv, hoses or even your bellow. bmw engines do not tolerate air vacum leak. after your car is warm up, maybe your hoses are stabilized.

best is to try to find a few things. I have 2 spare icvs. I can loan them to you to try. also i have the full icv set and also new bellow for you. i m willing to sell only if you are happy with it. :)

also do note, it can be a sign of head gasket leaking.... or other problems. so, do of other potential signs..

Originally posted by elwine30@Nov 30 2005, 09:41 AM
kelvinp,

sometimes, it's hard to diagnose these kind of problems. if idle is bad, it can be due to icv, hoses or even your bellow. bmw engines do not tolerate air vacum leak. after your car is warm up, maybe your hoses are stabilized.

best is to try to find a few things. I have 2 spare icvs. I can loan them to you to try. also i have the full icv set and also new bellow for you. i m willing to sell only if you are happy with it. :)

also do note, it can be a sign of head gasket leaking.... or other problems. so, do of other potential signs..
great elwine, will contact you soon.

please check your cold start tempreture gauge..i think it's a faulty signal or sensor.. location maybe at the engine or head..

regards.

kelvinp,
Your problem is far from over. Few months ago my M43 engine had similar symptom.First suspect was the AFM. Remove and dismantle .Clean with W-40 and scrape dirt wih big screwdriver. Flap flip with ease wih a light push.Tomorrow morning same problem. Then suspect ICV. Remove and clean
Problem still persist. Remove trottle body and dismantle every piece and clean with petrol.No help either. Final test- the ultimate test (head casket).Remove spark plug and examine-2nd &3rd plgs wet. Bad News. Wait for two hours to cool the engine in order to detect the sysmpton. One person to crank the engine and I notice water shooting out from the spark plug hole. CONFIRMED -head casket. Discuss with mechanic I did not encounter any overheating problem before and he told me it could be the life of the casket.(167,000KM)
Admission to the workshop the next day.
2nd day,received call from mechanic. More bad news- cylinder Head crack. Heart attack comming. Rush to workshop to check and confirm the findings.
Finally found a used M43 cylinder head with cam etc,etc and cost me RM1800.The whole engine cost RM2,700. I need to retain my engine no. so I opt for the top part.Change my radiator,thermostat, water pump,hoses for preventive measure.The enging now runs smoother and quieter.
Hope that you don't have to do the Ultimate test. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom