Engine Valve Cover Conversion for M50TU

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ALBundy

Founding Member
Tired of the paintwork feeling and cracking? Oil leaks? Well for those who drive a pre95 model e36 and e34 with vanos engine. The M52 conversion is the way to go. What you need to buy :- 1) M52 valve cover2) M52 engine cover (the one with BMW letterings, as the location to pour engine oil is different)3) M52 ignition coils (mounting locations are different)4) Valve cover gasket (different too) and a little modification will do! This is how it used to look like...
bmw55005.jpg
You will need to grind the breather hose plug before you can plug it into the M52 engine cover. This is how it looks like after its grind and re-plugged into the M52 cover.
bmw55003.jpg
You also need to cut two passage ways for the ignition cables to pass through the engine cover.
bmw55008.jpg
Everything else is straightforward, put back all the coils, tightened the bolts and voila...M52 engine lookalike!
bmw55001.jpg
Cheers!:)

good one.....you beat me to it.....!

this topic should be on a sticky thread DIY

can we start to have a section where all DIY and mods can be stored
information such as this is really scarce

Tong, it depends on how much you could get the parts really. The valve or cam cover, its hard to come by, some chop shop are reluctant to remove it from the existing half cut. If you interested, I could direct you to the chop shop I got mine from.

Cheers!

Albundy,

For my info, what is the advantage of the conversion to M52 from chop shop, vs replacing the old parts with newer M50 parts (from chop shop or brand new)? Is the M52 design less susceptible to oil leak (gasket)??

Yup, the M52 valve cover is an improved version of the older M50. Better material to withstand heat that causes it to crack and warp. I have replaced 2 valve covers prior to this. The added benefit is better looking aesthetically :)

tongsatriani said:
Okie...now I got it...:D

Bundy, how much needed to do this magic?

I would say ard rm500 to rm700.

Nice job bundy..........

i had done my.......very satisfied ! The most exspensive part is plug coils. I pay mind rm80 / pc (Bosch) for used e36 328 coils.

D#mn!:mad: Look damn nice! How come the parts so clean one? Cloroxed before fixing in ah?

Now I'm itching liao...:mad:

Keep looking sure can find clean and go condition ard........

But seriously, its make engine bay look much alive compare to original valve cover. heheh.............

Top Bottom