engine to change or overhaul? help.(same post)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dungbtle

Club Guest
mods, sorry for the similar post in both sections(this and the TECH forum) cos it seems that there are more e30 sifus over here. desperation tsk tsk. anyways, i need kind opinions. my car has been displaying signs like these lately.1.white smog.(prolly piston rings) and darn smelly burnt petrol smell from exhaust. 2.extreme loss of power, 3.very bad consumption, rm10/30km, 4. engine loud(not tappets,cos i've adjusted them)5. whirring sound( bmworld speculate it's the conrrod)could these symptoms be a cause of the plugcables? or loose valves?if it was you, what would u do first? top overhaul? it seems that another option for me is to change engine terus since there seems to be a lotta prob. and the price seems to be almost the same isit? (that is, if i find a decent engine)sakit hati..:(

which BMworld...ah wai ?

hmmnn.. 320i.. you plonk in a M20B25 engine inside.. no problem.. only thing is original versus upgrade.. consider the money first..

a= overhaul completely + top & bottom RM6k max

b= half car +extrasthat be sold RM3.8k +labour RM1.5k

so you do the maths..

money money

bmworks--batu caves, vasu
bro, well i was wondering put back m20b20 la cos engine is not so costly ma, workmanship less than 1k still can get. so all in all within 2k can kaotim. wat u think?

or isit a waste of effort to put back m20b20?

why follow back when you can upgrade, and it's a reason that you have to do it no matter what..

see my a versus b.

err

okay bro pussy,

see, your breakdown is
A: change engine to m20b25===cost around 5--6k
B: complete overhaul ==2--6k
B: change engine to m20b20--engine less than 1k,workmanship less than 1k.==2k

correct me if i'm wrong bro, i know it sounds stupid to be putting back the same spec engine, but the price is of great difference no?and from L-jet to motronic, is alot of work rite?

i've visited a few mech and it seems, to my frustration that most of the mechs are happiest telling me to change to 2.5/ 2.8 ..not even touching the car they already seem so uninterested. where the fish is the professionalism.

yes.. it's your call.. i believe that you are afraid to encounter into the dark side, very unsure that your money be wasted.. but understand the mechanic, they are trying to save you money and their time inclusive of yours( no car, taxis)

dun forget your check book..

further more, from what you describe about the condition of your engine, ti's time you change or overhaul.. sometimes mechanics can say about 3k to buy you into going to the overhaul way but end up paying 3 to 5k more.. trust me, i have seen a L-jet 2.0 overhaul costs up to 11k..

what alot of work ? it's a simple work, old engine out, new one in ? please do some research first..the engine looks very similar only thing is the plug cables, ICV and some small items.

your call.. looks like i m the only one advising you here, you can wait for others, but they will say the same thing..

regards.

thankss

well, thanks alot bro, yeah, seems you're the only one giving me ideas.haha its okay,

this weekend i'm bringing my car back to seremban to my dad's long time mech, to seek one last advice, and prolly a top overhaul. if that doesnt work or the damage is far beyond repair, well, i'll take your advice, i agree, a complete overhaul is useless and waste money even further.
by then i'll put in another engine.

ps: forgive me about my silly questions if i had in anyway made myself ask any.

cheers~
i'll update once i have a clue to wat is wrong (roughly) about my car.

do it once do it right bro...

do it twice, its twice the money spent....

cheers

ps : pussy's advice is decent..
pps: imho if u really want to back 2.0 from a 2.0 there is no one out there who is gonna stop u...its ur car bro... i did that...i converted my e30 from ljet 2.0 to a motronic 2.0 but a 100% convert including all the wiring that runs through our doors. :) so its up to u what level/extent u willing to go to.

hey..sorry to her about your engine..i'm driving a e30 318 too..is my engine ljet or motronic?what's the difference between both the engines?and lastly, what's the average consumption for a e30 318 16inch rims if i drive moderately change gear at 3000rpm?hehe..i need to know whats the average :D and its good you posted this man,i probably in a while i also gonna get the same problem,but i hope nooottt!

Tombstone,

yeah, i totally agree , do it once, do it right,but are you telling me that i shudnt even try top-overhaulin it? :cool:
well, just wondering if the conversion from L-jet 2.0 to motronic's 2.0 difference vast enough? wow, full re-wiring...hakcorrrrree.

still waiting for the weekend. so no news.
except when i park the car in pyramid indoor parking these two days as opposed to normally i just park under the hot sun.(i work in sunway), my petrol consumption seemed better, wtf. hahaha or isit just an illusion.
now i'm starting to speculate if the water jackets are leaking water to the engine area or something,causing the white smog. cos my water level drops a little every two day.

jagmalhi, there's a thread regarding e30 consumption, i believe it's a sticky on the forum bro, check it out, as long as your consumption is not as bad as rm10=30km. then it's good i suppose, normaly myvi's give around rm10=60km if not mistaken. anyways, hope that u wont get the same prob as mine.

dungbtle;232676 said:
Tombstone,

yeah, i totally agree , do it once, do it right,but are you telling me that i shudnt even try top-overhaulin it? :cool:
well, just wondering if the conversion from L-jet 2.0 to motronic's 2.0 difference vast enough? wow, full re-wiring...hakcorrrrree.

still waiting for the weekend. so no news.
except when i park the car in pyramid indoor parking these two days as opposed to normally i just park under the hot sun.(i work in sunway), my petrol consumption seemed better, wtf. hahaha or isit just an illusion.
now i'm starting to speculate if the water jackets are leaking water to the engine area or something,causing the white smog. cos my water level drops a little every two day.

jagmalhi, there's a thread regarding e30 consumption, i believe it's a sticky on the forum bro, check it out, as long as your consumption is not as bad as rm10=30km. then it's good i suppose, normaly myvi's give around rm10=60km if not mistaken. anyways, hope that u wont get the same prob as mine.

1, bro like i said, what do u prefer? i had the motronic engine lying around so i decided to plonk it in altho my ljet was still virgin and never gave me any prob.

2. fuel consumption for a 2.0 e30 and a 2.5 e30 is there abouts....if power and optimisation is ur concern then get a 2.5 and convert...more power and same fuel consumption.

3. u seem to be losing water??? is ur temperature going up? if it is u better get a checkup, could be cylinder head leaking - very common for the m20s

that's why i said, the above symtoms you have, is that the engine can't be saved..

bro, your call..

u can have the big ass engine inside, but dun forget power is not everything...

having a balanced car is the way to go.. the right power to weight ratio will propel the car quickly and will handle like a dream like how it was intended too.

I will go for pussy's recomendation but where can u get a decent replacement engine. I heard it is difficult to find?

Top Bottom