Engine sound inside the cockpit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vladd_tappish

Club Guest
To all the sifu's out there....I am having a big problem here. I can hear my engine sound inside the car even thou all the windows are closed. Even the starter sound sounds very loud even if I start the car with the windows closed. whenever I accelerate I can hear the engine sound very loud even when the car is stationary mode. Does anyone ever kena this kind of problem? Pls help....

vladd_tappish;197862 said:
To all the sifu's out there....I am having a big problem here. I can hear my engine sound inside the car even thou all the windows are closed. Even the starter sound sounds very loud even if I start the car with the windows closed. whenever I accelerate I can hear the engine sound very loud even when the car is stationary mode. Does anyone ever kena this kind of problem? Pls help....

not a sifu but...

maybe your bonnet, doors or windows not close properly.:rolleyes:

else
the rubber linning is harden and time to change!:)

Maybe firewall noise insulation material has deteriorated/decomposed/reput?

LCP;197883 said:
Maybe firewall noise insulation material has deteriorated/decomposed/reput?

Can you give me in details or pic about firewall noise insulation material. I have no idea where it is located. Thanks....

Mr. Tappish,

Did you write this after a couple of beers, aah ? 1st of all, we're not driving an E60 or E38 so engine and other noise will get into the cabin no matter what. Yes, some sound proofing will help but won't eradicate the problem completely - the firewall area is the area between the cabin and the engine bay running from the floor all the way to the back of our dash. Given the age and mileage your car has done, both the engine (lifters, valves etc) and the firewall insulation material needs work as both Iceman and LCP has pointed out.

Both will involve a tidy sum of cash - I can help you with the soundproofing bit / changing of various rubber lining and etc but set a budget first and we'll take it from there!

Cheers,
VaN.

C:\Documents and Settings\tan teohen\My Documents\My Pictures\BMW

it is likely due to your worn cam, if it is an m40. it is a known problem for seriously worn camshaft. i had the same annoying noise too and can hear the engine "diesel-like" sond through the sterring.

a top overhaul will do. this involves replacing the camshaft, rocker arms, etc... it's worth the effort and the rough engine noise is gone after that.

the rocker arms and lifters are the ones below the cam lobes, "rocking" the valves

Go simple solution, when last time you change your engine mount. It can transfer noise if worn.

Whatever it is, it will cost a bomb macha! Trial and error is the most headache thing... bring your car to your mechanic and see what he has to say loh... The various solutions given here are just guesses unless they heard the actual sound that you are talking about. Anyway, good luck bro!

sound

i belive before alcohol very silent after few packs engine sounds like it need overhaul why like that mr tappish.:eek:

hye guy's

im still new with bmw, need to know something regarding the sound that we can hear from inside the cockpit.

its like when i drive 80km per mile can hear wind sound from outside. my question is, is it normal ? or need to change the rubber line ..

Top Bottom