Engine Identification

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mad3

Club Guest
Hi Bro's out there,As we know our vehicle can be traced with the 7 digit VIN number but are there ways to identify which engine from which vehicle it is from, with the engine number ? I know it sounds confusing. I have an engine number but I'd like to know is it automatic or manual transmission as a standard.cheersMad3

Hi bro,

Proceed to http://bmwfans.info/ and punch in your 7-digit VIN there. You'd be surprised what kind of info you could get in return.

Cheers.
seewai

Mad3;694811 said:
Hi Bro's out there,

As we know our vehicle can be traced with the 7 digit VIN number but are there ways to identify which engine from which vehicle it is from, with the engine number ? I know it sounds confusing. I have an engine number but I'd like to know is it automatic or manual transmission as a standard.

cheers
Mad3

Maybe this would help to identify the engine.

But I think whether auto or manual is depend on the Gearbox that is attached to the engine.

Enginecode.jpg

thanks guys !

just curious if there are any websites that works like the VIN system which, when you type in the engine number it comes out the VIN of the car, sort of back track thing.

cheers

My VIN# does not show up on any of this sites. Did the instrument cluster test, #4.Vin Check, shows '00000'. Puzzled ..

pardypeople;695144 said:
My VIN# does not show up on any of this sites. Did the instrument cluster test, #4.Vin Check, shows '00000'. Puzzled ..
yours CKD or CBU? from what i read before CKD vin is not registered to website. I may be wrong.

ichi82;695201 said:
yours CKD or CBU? from what i read before CKD vin is not registered to website. I may be wrong.

CKD...guess so..thank you AB

my previous 525 was a CKD and its VIN is registered . Produced in Malaysia. Better check bro ?

Mad3;695214 said:
my previous 525 was a CKD and its VIN is registered . Produced in Malaysia. Better check bro ?

now this is weird right.. BMW7833 also has the same problem like be. was posted on another thread I think...

Yes, mine CKD can not check in any decoder link, has been passed my VIN to other members and confirm can not decode.

Strange...all BMW VIN should be able to be decoded. Maybe engine not BMW??

herbert;695348 said:

Maybe what JOKER said in 2009 about KGB/CIA conspiracy on BMW is true...Jeng Jeng Jeng...just kidding..hahaha...guess gotta live with it

herbert;695348 said:

I bring my VIN to AB JB before and they admitted can not decode my car as their new system is different.

I have a chat with the factory Manager during the Kulim Drive. According to him, all the body/chassis
come to the assembly plant uncoded. The actually stamped the Body Chassis in the plant.
As for the engine, the number are stamped in Germany.

However, the VIN number database for Malaysia are link to the Master database in Germany.

No way!!!!!

I bought my car from AB as approval used car last time. Don't think they allow such thing happen.

Top Bottom