engine clicking sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hofmeister

Banned
hey guys,recerntly my engine is making intermittent clicking sound..what could be the issue be?i have just changed all new spark plugs and plug coils.ride : M54 525i

Noise probably from your hydro lifters. What lube are you using?

Does the clicking sound go away when the car is warm?
If it does, it's likely your HVA elements.

herbert;604717 said:
Noise probably from your hydro lifters. What lube are you using?

been using fully sync all the while. but engine oil reduce past mths hence using semi sync now.

rpmnut;604778 said:
Does the clicking sound go away when the car is warm?
If it does, it's likely your HVA elements.

nope. its intermittent. doesnt matter its warm or not.
what;s HVA ?

hofmeister;604876 said:
nope. its intermittent. doesnt matter its warm or not.
what;s HVA ?

HVA = Hydraulic Valve Adjusters - these are small cylinders fitted between the valve actuators and the camshaft. They fill with oil when the engine is running to make ensure that the valve clearance is always correct.

BMW engines have a tendency to have sticking HVA elements, especially if the car has been run with poor quality oil, or oil that's not the right viscosity, leading to the HVA's failing to function correctly. When that happens, valve free-play and clearance goes out of spec and you will hear the ticking noise from the engine.

rpmnut;604935 said:
HVA = Hydraulic Valve Adjusters - these are small cylinders fitted between the valve actuators and the camshaft. They fill with oil when the engine is running to make ensure that the valve clearance is always correct.

BMW engines have a tendency to have sticking HVA elements, especially if the car has been run with poor quality oil, or oil that's not the right viscosity, leading to the HVA's failing to function correctly. When that happens, valve free-play and clearance goes out of spec and you will hear the ticking noise from the engine.

oh dang. could this be reversed with switch back to fully sync oil? or i nid to change the valve? alamak

nope nope nope.. dun do that!

1. Now free tip. Go and get a bucket of Hydraulic oil from any sparepart shops.. i think it no.68 oil or something. Drain your oil engine oil half. Thats about 3.5-4 litres. Then top it up with hydraulic oil normal level. Let it idle for 5-10 mins. keep an eye on the temp. during this time you might hear your engine lighten up as the hydraulic oil is light. By the way it comes in 16lit bucket

2. Drain it all off.

3. Top up Hydraulic Oil to full. Let it run idle for another 5-10 mins. Intermittenly, have a slight throttle just to make sure the lifter is running at speed.

4. Drain it off all. change the filter.. and top it up with new oil. Wallah. Totally flushed engine. and lifters.

Give it a go. Don cost much and do notice the difference after the exercise. and after two weeks, you can still see the golden color oil in your sump.

the person who thought me this, or for that matter.. thought me most thing in my life, reminded me to share knowledge for free.. heheh

but guess what! i dun think that your problem!! i have a hunch its something else. Nothing serious, just annoying! can only confirm is i see the car myself.

alantiong;605009 said:
..............top it up with hydraulic oil normal level. Let it idle for 5-10 mins. keep an eye on the temp. during this time you might hear your engine lighten up as the hydraulic oil is light............
side track a bit........why need to monitor the temp while doing this?

hyraulic oil do not have heat transfer capabilities like normal lube. So just to be safe, do not over heat it!

Alan

By the way, this is the way NASCAR and US aftermarket gurus fluch their engines..

found out engine oil is running low hence the clicking sound!
refill with new oil then problem gone!
case closed.

thanks guys!!!

Top Bottom