emergency braking problem...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

aPaSH

Club Guest
hye all,Got my e36 325 for 1 month and have been in accident 2 times already.The 2nd time was last thursday while i'm outstation in johor. The idiot suddenly braked while driving on the right lane, 4 cars involved n i'm in the 3rd car. Now before u guys give any comments, just to inform u guys both accidents happened while i'm driving just around 60km/hour.The car just doesn't seem want to stop when i do an emergency brake. My dad tells me that i'm still not used to the car (he's been driving a bimmer for 20 years).have been driving up to 220km/hour on the highway and when i brake slowly, the steering wheel seems to "tremor"... And I have to step on the brake about halfway down before the brake starts to bite. Is this normal for 3 series or do i have to change the brake fluids or something.Any personal experience to share... cannot afford to have accidents every week, better use money to make-up my car...Thanks....

Well the tremor sounds like your front dics are warped.
If your pedal travelling far, is usually air trapped in the system. A good bleed should take care of it, wouldnt hurt to bleed thru until all the fluid is new.

Have a good look around around the brakes, check for pad wear and also any leaks.

Bimmer brakes are very good by and large so your symptoms not normal for a healthy system.

Oh and let me know when you on the road so I can let u pass :wink:

agreee,,check the disc,,takut bengkok dan brake pedal in the car takut pressure kurang kat tekanan kaki regards tqvm dan

btw, how far were you from the 2nd car while travelling at 60 kmh.

ps.. your dad is correct..erhmmm.. erhmmm

You followed too close to the car infront of you bro. In JPJ rules book your distance should be 5 cars apart, I believe you only do 2 the most.

Drive safe..

Nemesis had very good suggestions. Where did you get the car, secondhand dealer? Better get a full brake system inspection ASAP, sounds like your rotors are probably warped and possibly glazed. I'd suggest also new brand name pads, brake fluid and replace all your brake lines while you are at it. Will cost you some but its not worth skimping on things like this, especially on a car with unknown history.

Should be fine after that but if still not good enough, can consider brake servo upgrade.

Thanks for all the comments n suggestions... would check on the discs and brake fluids.

to nemesis... couldn't keep up with ur car anyway... mine only stock standard, no modifications whatsoever... heheh...

to geoffrey n jarance... yeah, u guessed rite... was only about 3 cars apart... will keep in mind to keep a distance next time....

Hi, Cempaka

Can you tell us more on brake servo upgrade?
The estimated cost for do etc.
Will be doing my brake servicing soon. So would like to see if any upgrade worth doing.

cempaka;265716 said:
Nemesis had very good suggestions. Where did you get the car, secondhand dealer? Better get a full brake system inspection ASAP, sounds like your rotors are probably warped and possibly glazed. I'd suggest also new brand name pads, brake fluid and replace all your brake lines while you are at it. Will cost you some but its not worth skimping on things like this, especially on a car with unknown history.

Should be fine after that but if still not good enough, can consider brake servo upgrade.

Hi skmt, basically you replace the stock servo/pump with bigger one from older 7-series or 5-series. It's a popular mod among us E30 drivers because the stock braking system is on the weak side. Have not heard of it being done as much with E36 as the standard brakes were much improved. But it does improve stopping power. Cost is whatever the servo costs (2ndhand or chop shop) + some modding at machine shop + install, all of which can vary a lot but isn't going to be too expensive overall.

Read here for more info:

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14194&highlight=servo

Having too much servo assist can also be bad... I like the feel of my E36 brakes, it is definitely not over-assisted, can easily modulate, unlike those on the newer generation of jap cars, just way too much assist which makes you think you have plenty of stopping power, well, at least until the ABS kicks in.

I guess a portion of the contribution to the UDM name is also from the brake pedal feel.

Sorry to jump into this thread. Mine E28 also the same problem, after replacing the front rotors and brake pads is fine now. :shakehands:

I Used To Jam My E34 Front Brake Too Much Untill Big Smoke Out From My Brake Caliper, So Scary, Looks Cool But The Front Brake Is Totally Gone....Overcooked~~~

Brother, Better Send For Inspection , Cause Brake Is Important Safety Factor To Us....

have sent car for inspection... apart from the brake oil being dirty, everything else is fine they say.

i dunno, maybe its just me... but i still prefer my dad's e32 brakes... just a light tap on the brakes n u can already feel it "biting". My car still have to press it halfway down... may consider using the e32 pump as suggested.

Top Bottom