e90 320 Harsh Gear Down Shift

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Gila_Bimmer

Club Guest
Hi Everyone,I recently purchased a new e90 320 (yr 2009) fr Sapura Auto. Apart from the rather dissapointing 4-cylinder engine, I find the also car gives an irritating jerk during gear downshifts. Just wondering if any other 320 owners experience this problem. Some people tell me it could be due to a firmware version issue with the gearbox ie. it needs to be upgraded to the latest version.Any ideas, suggestions?

Gila_Bimmer;538855 said:
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a new e90 320 (yr 2009) fr Sapura Auto. Apart from the rather dissapointing 4-cylinder engine, I find the also car gives an irritating jerk during gear downshifts.

Just wondering if any other 320 owners experience this problem. Some people tell me it could be due to a firmware version issue with the gearbox ie. it needs to be upgraded to the latest version.

Any ideas, suggestions?

hi bro,

new car or used car?? if new car could b not adapt to ur driving yet from 1st svc. try after 10k svc then c how...some may due to the adaptive drive .just clear the adaptation value then ok.

Hi, Gila_Bimmer, since you have already joined since 2007 and benefited much from the sharings of bros here, you should start postings more here to share your experience and costs of maintaining your UDM for the benefit of others. :wink:

Gila_Bimmer;538855 said:
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a new e90 320 (yr 2009) fr Sapura Auto. Apart from the rather dissapointing 4-cylinder engine, I find the also car gives an irritating jerk during gear downshifts.

Just wondering if any other 320 owners experience this problem. Some people tell me it could be due to a firmware version issue with the gearbox ie. it needs to be upgraded to the latest version.

Any ideas, suggestions?

I am experiencing the same problem especially before coming near to a standstill, the gear will jerk a bit. Anyway, I just bought an E90 320i year 2005. Been reading from other threads saying that we have to reset the gear adaptive memory, haven't tried it, maybe I will since I plan to change my gear oil as well. Last few days I tried the DS mode, and surprisingly the gear shift is very smooth, no jerk at all....:cool:

nizan1979;539585 said:
I am experiencing the same problem especially before coming near to a standstill, the gear will jerk a bit. Anyway, I just bought an E90 320i year 2005. Been reading from other threads saying that we have to reset the gear adaptive memory, haven't tried it, maybe I will since I plan to change my gear oil as well. Last few days I tried the DS mode, and surprisingly the gear shift is very smooth, no jerk at all....:cool:

I had the same problem and had to have the ecu, re-adapted, which basically was sort of reprogam the ecu. 15 mins job, so far so good. Your dealer should be able to fix this.

sori all sifus for reviving this old thread,

How much does it cost for ECU remap or resetting the gearbox adaptive memory?

i m driving a 07' E90 320, jus changed ATF oil, clocking 78K but the jerking problem persists. Thanks.

I had the same problem few months ago. After major repair on mechatronic -solenoid changed and reprogramming of gearbox twice, the problem has been minimize. Maybe need another programming session.

Some say the transmission adaptation value can be erase by removing the battery terminal. Have not tried that though, try at your own risk. Make sure u allow enough time for it to work.

hye sifus

im having the same probs as well.mine 320i e90 2005.Need to remap the Ecu as stated.....:stupid:

Try changing the ATF if you already cross 60k km and shouldn't stretch beyond 80k km.. the pre-LCI ZF transmission is a little costly to replace the ATF but if u intend to keep the car for long, its a good investment.. same goes with the ATF strainer which happen to be the part of the plastic gearbox oil pan.

Just had my car ATF changed yesterday. Done at outside SC. Yes after change the ATF, the normal procedure is they will erase the adaption value. Now car back to normal. As AB said, yes it's true that the ZF 6HP 19 ATF is a little costly at RM 85 per liter and we may need around 6 ltr for every change. The ATF strainer come with the oil pan is around RM 650. This need to be change to clear the residue that normally trap in the strainer.

Hi Everyone,

Been 2 years since I purchased my E90 320i (2009). I still have the harsh gear shift problem. Erasing the memory of the adaptive drive on the gearbox helps but after few weeks of driving, problem comes back again.

Try the following to reset your adaptive auto transmission:

1) Put in your key.
2) Press on "Start" without pressing on Brake (Engine NOT started, just switch on electronic stuff).
3) Press the gas pedal down to floor, hold for 30 seconds. (some say 5 seconds will do)
4) You might hear some less noticeable sound, GB is resetting.
5) Turn OFF your car, wait for a minute.
6) Start the car like usual, and try it out!!!

Do let us know whether the steps above work or not, and the outcome.

I tried it....My gears seems to hold more longer and as a result car feels more keen to pull. Not good for fuel economy me thinks. Some people say the problem will come back after a while. I am still waiting to see.

Top Bottom