e46 power loss at traffic light??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mielo86

Club Guest
last time at trafic light my car having this symptom;when engaging D from N, the car move slowly like it start up in 4th gear directly..gaining momentum slowly...when paddle to the floor also feel no power at that time!this happen twice on the same day but after that no more till today...anyone experience this before?care to give me some lead into what topic should i search in this forum..thanks in advance..:wink:

mielo86;723441 said:
last time at trafic light my car having this symptom;

when engaging D from N, the car move slowly like it start up in 4th gear directly..gaining momentum slowly...when paddle to the floor also feel no power at that time!this happen twice on the same day but after that no more till today...anyone experience this before?care to give me some lead into what topic should i search in this forum..thanks in advance..:wink:

hello bro, out of curiosity, when u had that experience was there any Gearbox Malfunction indication on the display? or it was indicating "D"??

nope bro..no indicator light up what so ever..that's what confused me..the display showing D..any clue?

mielo86;723522 said:
nope bro..no indicator light up what so ever..that's what confused me..the display showing D..any clue?

hmmm diz is weird...coz i had almost a similar symptom bro..but in my case, da indication was up..according to the manual, the tranmission will auto engage to 3rd or 4th gear (nt sure) if the indication is up, which will eventually cause the car to be under power during launch...sorry bro, couldnt help much..anyway, do update if u manage to find out the root cause..cheers...

mielo86;723634 said:
bro, for your case whats the problem?how do you rectify it?

nothing much bro..went to Auto Bavaria for a diagnose..they confirmed Gearbox is in a solid condition..they mentioned at times servicing the gearbox will cause the sensor to go haywire..so, they cleared the errors for me..datz all..i still see the indication coming up at times..but normally in the morning..after i restart, it will disappear..never had diz indication coming up while driving..i did asked them, if nothing is wrong with the gearbox, den y it still engages 3rd gear when da indication is up..they said, for BMW, even if there's nothing wrong with the mechanism, it still follows what the sensor says..hmmm..

Insured By Mafia;723686 said:
nothing much bro..went to Auto Bavaria for a diagnose..they confirmed Gearbox is in a solid condition..they mentioned at times servicing the gearbox will cause the sensor to go haywire..so, they cleared the errors for me..datz all..i still see the indication coming up at times..but normally in the morning..after i restart, it will disappear..never had diz indication coming up while driving..i did asked them, if nothing is wrong with the gearbox, den y it still engages 3rd gear when da indication is up..they said, for BMW, even if there's nothing wrong with the mechanism, it still follows what the sensor says..hmmm..

Mafia, whenever the warning is up on the dash the error log would be updated. So looking at what the message say could help in diagnosing. They said the errors were cleared but what were the error? Doesn't make sense..

mielo, really sounds like your car went into limp mode. Plug in your diagnostic computer and see if there is anything stored in the error memory.

aidilj;723770 said:
Mafia, whenever the warning is up on the dash the error log would be updated. So looking at what the message say could help in diagnosing. They said the errors were cleared but what were the error? Doesn't make sense..

mielo, really sounds like your car went into limp mode. Plug in your diagnostic computer and see if there is anything stored in the error memory.

exactly sifu..i kno it doesnt make sense..i am actually considering for a second opinion..i rememba Jarance recommended you can help...if u dont mind, maybe u can help or recommend someone for me to check...

Insured By Mafia;723783 said:
exactly sifu..i kno it doesnt make sense..i am actually considering for a second opinion..i rememba Jarance recommended you can help...if u dont mind, maybe u can help or recommend someone for me to check...

Yes, what you need is a second opinion. Visit an independent workshop and read that error message again to confirm. The indicator going up regularly is not normal..

true, plug in the diagnose tool, then the mechanic should be able to tell what's wrong with the car, as the ecu should without fail record whenever it senses abnormal reading that goes beyond the accepted tolerance value of a sensor...it could be from intermittent defective crankshaft/camshaft sensor/ignition coil etc..

aidilj;723802 said:
Yes, what you need is a second opinion. Visit an independent workshop and read that error message again to confirm. The indicator going up regularly is not normal..

wokey Sifu..roger that..im planning to get someone to check tomorrow itself..thanks again Sifu..will keep u posted on this issue...

mrPG;723848 said:
true, plug in the diagnose tool, then the mechanic should be able to tell what's wrong with the car, as the ecu should without fail record whenever it senses abnormal reading that goes beyond the accepted tolerance value of a sensor...it could be from intermittent defective crankshaft/camshaft sensor/ignition coil etc..

i would totally agree with that mate...will get it checked asap..thanks for the info..cheers...

aidilj;723770 said:

thanks for the advice bro..will go for a check this weekend..

Top Bottom