E46 320 - Leak from side of Gearbox

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chantahir

Club Guest
View attachment 30946Noticed sign of oil leak as circle in red from one side of E46 320 gearbox;1. What do we called the part as circle in red?2. Will the leak effecting the gearbox?3. How to stop the leaking and which part to replace?Thanks in advance for your comment and advises.cheers

Thats the gear selector switch and the o-ring is the fault. O-Ring cost RM15-20 depending on brand. However workmanship may set you back RM80. Do be extra careful when doing this fix as normally mech will damage the thread of the bolt.

I top up 200ml of ATF only after the fix

From the location of your drain bolt, looks like you using this.. http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...transmission/a5s360r_390r_gear_shifting_part/

OTE1NjFfcA==.png

anaksarawak;834041 said:
Thats the gear selector switch and the o-ring is the fault. O-Ring cost RM15-20 depending on brand. However workmanship may set you back RM80. Do be extra careful when doing this fix as normally mech will damage the thread of the bolt.

I top up 200ml of ATF only after the fix

Bro,

How do you categories the replacement of O-Ring, Is it SIMPLE or DIFFICULT task? reason asking this question because to avoid being "KELENTONG" by the workshop and charge you unreasonably for workmanship.

Alex5522;834062 said:
The Gear Selector oil ring/seal was the culprit, i change mine 3 yrs ago and cost me rm55 only: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?38582-Gear-Box-E46&highlight=

Thanks Alex for your link and the feed back form others seems like the replacement of the o-ring is quite simple but just contacted my regular workshop and he told me prior replacement can be done you have to remove the gearbox mounting, lower down the gearbox...bla...bla.... sound like cost me a boom. Need your advise whether that's the correct process?

If my memory not mistake it's no need to remove the gearbox mounting, they just need to removed the gear selector and slowly dig out the oil seal and replace by the new will do.

This job need to be done in careful as anaksarawak mentioned other wise it will damage the thread of the bolt.

Depends on individual mechanic, lowering down the gearbox will ease the work for the mech as the area to work on is pretty narrow and dark. Removing the seal is easy but reinstalling the new seal is a task as it requires patience and seals has to be securely fastened not as easy as remove and plug in..i would rather lower down the gearbox a little, so that the mech can see whats he is doing instead of feeling with his hands.

Top Bottom