e39 ignition key jam

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

moots

Club Guest
not sure if this has been discussed before but last wednesday night my ignition key refused to allow me to take it with me into the house:eek:.it was jammed in the barrel no matter how hard i tried,even to the extent of spraying some wd40 in the keyhole.it however,can be moved the other way to start the engine but i cannot move the gear lever out of 'P'.called my long time trusty fren and mech mr ah foo of damansara kayu ara and he said this is common.the fault lies at the gear lever.(lucky....or i would've started by dismantling the steering column first.....!) there is a cable that runs from the key hole barrel to the gear lever.this is a mechanical interlock that prevents gear lever shift without the ignition key.on mine,the metal lever lock pivot point was dry which caused the lever to stick.a dose of wd40 later....everything back to normal. aaaaahhhh....the joy of owning an e39...........and even more joyous if the fix is free..!

yes there is the same interlock to prevent the key from being removed from the ignition slot unless the gearshift is pushed to "park" position for the E46.

However, for my E36, there is no such interlock.

yup. just play with the gear stick. You can only pull out the key if the gear is in P.

Top Bottom