E39 Headliner

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Replay

Club Guest
The headliner in my e39 is starting to droop now, so last weekend I visited Top Cushion to have a look at what could be done to get it fixed up. They showed me the fabric they can use to replace the existing headliner fabric. Didnt really have alot of choices of fabric, plus the colour choices were kinda safe with light grey and beige. I'm wondering if there is a place in KL that can do a suede headliner similar to the one in the link below;M5 HeadlinerIf no option I'm planning to take down the headliner and glue the original fabric back...hope its not going to be a messy DIY.

Had another option to think abt the last couple of days, considering getting some dark grey suede fabric and using that. The only problem with that idea is that I would need to source for the darken versions of the items that go on the ceiling like comfort lights, grab handles and etc. There are a few ppl selling'em on Ebay. This needs some careful consideration, just worried i F up the interior.

Maybe I should just go back to Carbi Deco and get it done, advice?

I'll be using a spray adhesive to attach the fabric onto the headliner board.

Replay,

Why go through the hassle & take the risk and mess up your interior. Plus even if you get the relevant correct fabric, it will be cumbersomes (buying installation materials) to get it done yourself. I am sure Jason of Carbi Deco will do a quality job and price is also reasonable.

Ah kit (Top Cushion) did a very good job for me, neat, clean and properly tucked in.

Deep3102, hows the fabric they used? is it similar in quality to the ori fabric?

I was quoted rm400 for roof and pillars but I'm just concerned abt the fabric being used.

Bro, honestly, i feel the fabric used is good quality, sponge padded if not mistaken. The look feel of it is quite satisfying, and the edges and fine points have been tucked very neatly.
Since Ah kit is highly recommended by many Sifu's, and also seeing the way he works, for a reasonable price, he wraped my steering and back board too..all in all costed me something like RM700~800.
Im satisfied. Nice chap who knows his stuff and his work in and out. He even told me to come back and replace the heat shield under the hood for a reasonable price.

I was thinking of using the adhesive spray too but was cautioned that the padded sponge might not hold due to brittleness which is the very reason why the cloth is detaching. I tried feeling the upper sponge wall to detect any unevenness but couldn't feel it. Might just have to brave it and do it.

Thanks for the sharing Deep3102. Which color of fabric did you opt for?

I'm considering doing dark grey suede, try dont seem to have that fabric.

Replay,
I went in for black.
Perhaps he can place an order for you if your request.

Deep3102....black? nice......

could you share a pic of your interior? would love to see how it all blends in, presume you also rewraped your a/b/c pillar's?

i diy kaki and i osso scared to diy the headliner.the whole headliner need removal from the car,old fabric removed.old sponge scraped (messy,messy,messy)and ONLY when the surface is clean can we re-fix the old cloth.(don't even try to spray the glue with the headliner still in the car).itu pun no guarantee the glue won't soak into the cloth.if soak....koyak.

rm400 is reasonable.go to the shop.choose the fabric and you're good to go!

deep3102;653135 said:
Replay,
I went in for black.
Perhaps he can place an order for you if your request.

How about the sun visor? Spray black?

Free and quiet sunday to relax and enjoy the nice gloomy whether...So decided to take out the roof liner and checkout whats going on with the fabric. 2 hours later, decided to reupholster the roof and A/B/C pillars just for the heck of it. So next step is to source for suede or Alcantara fabric..any ideas where I can buy a couple of meters of the stuff?

Replay, I'd also remove the headliner with the roof card. There is no way of re-apply the existing headliner cloth, so its a no-no to re-use, not to mention re-align properly the holes between the cloth and the roof cards. Did you manage to find the materials or you send it to be wrap by those interior shop?

I just check this afternoon, no fabric or buttons shop around PJ SS2 can source them. I manage to source the sponge in between any cloth & the roof card, but it will means that I need to apply adhesive twice. I guess it will save effort and time to buy the material from those auto interior shop then.

I asked T2Ribena at the last OTT who reupholstered his previous E39 M5 in alcantara, this includes the headliner, pillars and also the rear parcel shelf. Costed him RM4.6k if I am not mistaken. He said alcantara is not an easy material to work with, even the proffesisional upholsterer at that price didn't do a good job he thinks.

haywire;758097 said:
I asked T2Ribena at the last OTT who reupholstered his previous E39 M5 in alcantara, this includes the headliner, pillars and also the rear parcel shelf. Costed him RM4.6k if I am not mistaken. He said alcantara is not an easy material to work with, even the proffesisional upholsterer at that price didn't do a good job he thinks.

You are right. Leather & synthetic alcantara, and generally hard material require extra effort to work with. Leather need direct heat such as hairdryer, while alcantara require steam to work with. I just DIY mine with cloth material to avoid dual tone and hassle of matching trims. Mine not M5 or supercar. :wink:

Top Bottom