E39 Engine Overhaul

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gshanmg

Club Guest
Guys,My E39 523i is 1996 make (11 years young) and thus far it carries over 210,000km mileage. I just got it 2 x months back and the engine is in good condition...(touch wood)...As the car has been well taken care of my opinion is just to continue maintaining it by proper and regular servicing and touching up on unreliable parts every now and then as and when required. But is there any specific criteria (mileage wise, years run wise etc etc) over time even with good engine condition, the engine needs to be overhauled?Wondering if i should just continue maintain it and get to the overhaul matter when the engine really fails.Please comment...thanks.

Bmw makes perfect engines which can last as long as you want it too and whatever you throw at it. Overhauling is expensive and doesnt mean when you get back the car it will be fine. Just maintain it as usual like any other car and it will serve you well.

My E34 never been overhauled for 17 yrs and still running strong only normal wear and tear. Just remember to use a good engine oil and changed it often.

Cheers bro.

Oh ya. Did you hear Mobil tested an E30 with their Mobil 1 oil and drove it for 1 million miles? Then they took the engine apart and the components of the engine were still in BMW factory expectations. Thats the ultimate driving machine we're driving bro.

ID76;202902 said:
Oh ya. Did you hear Mobil tested an E30 with their Mobil 1 oil and drove it for 1 million miles? Then they took the engine apart and the components of the engine were still in BMW factory expectations. Thats the ultimate driving machine we're driving bro.
Thanks ID76...I didn;t know this was the case...my experience with the UDM lah...still in the learning curve process...man that must excellent to have E30 to touch 1 million mile mark...feel like am driving the right machine meant to be driven...I never use Mobil 1 oil but Shell Helix as recommended by the mech...

Is there any specific difference between the 2?? or either one is alright?

overhaul ...term used by foreman to make fast bucks...

why you need to undergo overhaul ....cause you have no time to do preventive maintainance and just because you trust the odometer well.

to get rid of the term overhaul ...you better carry out monthly oil change that will prevent it to undergo overhaul ...

just my 2 cents

ICEMAN 13;202936 said:
why you need to undergo overhaul ....cause you have no time to do preventive maintainance and just because you trust the odometer well.

to get rid of the term overhaul ...you better carry out monthly oil change that will prevent it to undergo overhaul ...

just my 2 cents

gshanmg,
Iceman 13 is correct. No need to do all at one go..........RELAX, bro. Cross the bridge when you come to it. Get acquainted with your ride first in order to get a better feel then you decide what's not working well which need to be changed or repaired

Enjoy the ride, bro;)

E39

Jerman;202949 said:
gshanmg,
Iceman 13 is correct. No need to do all at one go..........RELAX, bro. Cross the bridge when you come to it. Get acquainted with your ride first in order to get a better feel then you decide what's not working well which need to be changed or repaired

Enjoy the ride, bro;)

dude

My car is reaching the 190K mark now . Engine still silky smooth. ( touch wood ) Of course the smoothness is due to X1R too lah. hehe

OK now I get it...I will just maintain it on regular basis and replace parts due to wear and tear as and when necessary.

To all of you...thank you for your advices.

Top Bottom