e38 trans fail safe

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alantiong

Club Guest
guys, lately my e38 is giving me this message and the trans go into limp mode and stucked in 4th gear. If i stop the car and restart, it will go back normal and before long, it happens again. Any suggestions?thanksAlan

You need to see the doctor to diagnose and identify the culprit bro...many could cause the issue..good luck

alantiong;701633 said:
guys, lately my e38 is giving me this message and the trans go into limp mode and stucked in 4th gear. If i stop the car and restart, it will go back normal and before long, it happens again. Any suggestions?

thanks

Alan

Chief, were you driving like James Bond in your James Bond Edition 750iL?? :D

I had the same problem with my e32 v8.

I had some trouble firguring the cause...worst case scenario, gearbox mau kong but in the end it turned out to be something minimal.

First, try this - Check you battery condition . A weak battery could be the case. My car was running on a din 55 battery when it should be a din 88.

If it's not the battery, then try sticking the gear into 4th gear and see if it goes into failsafe mode again. Mine funtioned normally when it was entered into 4th.

If the fail safe mode doesnt appear, it means you have a loose cable.

It's been more than a year since I had the problem and my gearbox is perfect for now.

Cheers!

hmm thanks sudha.. just to clarify, what cable are you talking about? wires? sockets?

Sorry for the late reply...the cable i am reffrering to is the selector cable which links the selector to the gbox. cost of repair was negligible.

The gear selector cable on my car was loose, so everytime i put the gear in D, i had itermittent "Trans Programme" issue cropping up.

However, when I stuck it in position "4" the gear box functioned smoothly. The mechanic who services the car pin pointed it to the selector cable. all he did was check all the pins and nuts on the connecting points and found a loose connection.

do update the post if you have solved the issue... it will be an interesting info for most owners here. Cheers!

problem solved!! but not MINIMAL!! :(

turn out to be my Fly By Wire Potentio Meter. About to kaput and send fluctuating signal to gearbox until the box got confused! and have to indent the part from germany and waited for a month! but now its smooth again.. phewwww...

What was damage like Bro . Mind sharing ? Gearbox transmission failure is the last thing i want to face - will have sleepless nite .

Top Bottom