E36 - Tinking to Swap M50B20 to M50B28

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

RRRR

Club Guest
Hi Sifus,Just found my engine temp rising the other day and mech advised my coolant water is somehow seeping into the engine (he found moisture in engine oil cap so likely there is a crack in the engine....).So now need to top up water full every 2 days...Thinking to convert to M50B28 now (no point to stroke up as engine has crack..).If my e36 is M50B20 single vanos, is it true I only need to swap:1) Engine to M50B282) Ecu for M50B283) Rear Axle meant for the M50B28Long shaft no need to change coz chasis still the same?Wire harness use back the existing coz already single vanos?Anything i missed?Lastly, to buy item 1 to 3 + extras in used gd condition, can advise how much for each?Thks in advance

bro..
play safe just get m50b20 engine.. and the cost are minimize..
if u really to get m50b28 better get fully half cut. and used it .
if u swap part by part it cant be excelllent ride..
u may need 6 cylnder exaust system too..

Correction! M50 got no B28, its M52 that has B28. If you upgrading from M50B20 to M52B28, you will need engine complete including wiring harness, ECU etc. Its good to go for full half cut where you can get all the necessary items. And take note also that gearbox (be it manual or automatic)from M50B20/M50B25/M52B25 cannot be used on M52B28 engine(due to huge power difference).
Another better way you can do is get the M50B25 engine, top end hp almost same as m52B28 only lower torque(only moving off not as quick as M52B28). This one is straight swap, all u need is the engine complete including ECU. Your old gearbox maybe can be used back(this one i'm not very sure).

RRRR your private msg is full. 700++ doesnt include my piping and fuel line cause there are still 9/10 condition. I bet with the tsunami in japan and all the wash up cars people will take the opportunity to bring in some good halfcuts from japan.

RRRR

is anything new ?

i got posiosion sensor problem, and i broke peace of front roof (where position sensor is placed)
and i think to change my block with B28 block, anything else will be same. will it work ?

Top Bottom