e36 m3 evo engine advice

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zeroboy

Club Guest
need some help guys.. im looking to put in an 3.2 m3 engine and transmission into my 325ii have spoke to some mechanics and they said it was not a problem to do so... the problem is im not able to get my hands on these engines and transmission..could someone point me at the right direction and also costing thanks a million.

the halfcut should be in the range of 25K. very unlikely someone having it is going to let you have your hands on it unless you know them well. if you find one, get an experienced person (mechanic) to inspect before purchasing the halfcut.

dont go for experiment if u only have engine set n gbox to install at your car. u will cry soon for ur wallet and ur car performence too..

yup thats what i was thinking...it will be too risky to get just the engine.. well i guess i will just have to wait for a half cut to come out or will find some way to import the half cut..

if anything comes up anywhere pls do pm me guys

cheers:top:

hi zeroboy,if u want i got 1 unit 3.2 engine with wiring and ecu..or if u want halfcut,wait for another 1 month coz my halfcut will arrive..im selling as one car cut(CKD)...let me know..thanks

Just buy the ori one. M3 chassis is different from non-M and that's something you can never get even with a full conversion.

Also a full conversion will cost you something upwards of RM35-40k depending on how much you get the halfcut for so if you're not ready to bleed that money from your bank account don't even bother considering. After the conversion then there's the spare parts to consider as well. It's close to impossible to get used spare parts from local chopshops so it's all brand new parts from BA or other BMW parts supplier. M3 = x3 normal M50/52 parts, it's true.

Good luck.

agree with loafer. if you want a m3, then get the real deal. it's more than just power, its the total package. plus what u spend on the car to convert, u will not be able to recover.

if you are only after power, just turbo ur current engine. not only are the parts cheaper, its easily done and you will have fun burning rubber everywere.

loafer;760021 said:
Just buy the ori one. M3 chassis is different from non-M and that's something you can never get even with a full conversion.

Also a full conversion will cost you something upwards of RM35-40k depending on how much you get the halfcut for so if you're not ready to bleed that money from your bank account don't even bother considering. After the conversion then there's the spare parts to consider as well. It's close to impossible to get used spare parts from local chopshops so it's all brand new parts from BA or other BMW parts supplier. M3 = x3 normal M50/52 parts, it's true.

Good luck.

ramsing;760044 said:
agree with loafer. if you want a m3, then get the real deal. it's more than just power, its the total package. plus what u spend on the car to convert, u will not be able to recover.

if you are only after power, just turbo ur current engine. not only are the parts cheaper, its easily done and you will have fun burning rubber everywere.

If the chassis is different how different is it? From what i know the engine, subframes, running gears, suspensions, electronics and software all can be transferred from M to a non-M cars ... Which parts is it that is fundamentally different and can't be transferred? Is the frame rails any different? Is the welding any different between M and non-M ...

It is an interesting topic hope we can further discuss on the technical difficulties on doing such conversions.

For the E36 M3, I think it is the standard E36 chassis with some chassis reinforcements. And then you have all the up-rated suspension parts and revised suspension geometry. I don't think there are any significant difference on the basic chassis construction, at least not from what I can gather. But it is definitely an interesting topic and maybe some of our more informed members can shed light on this :top:

With that being said, I think it is probably more cost effective to just buy an M3 rather than going through the pains of conversion.

drmurugti;760074 said:
Are there any m3 Evo's in Malaysia?

There are a few M3 Evos running around in Malaysia. Occasionally, they'll appear in mudah. hahaha...

Quote from website :-

How is the M3's chassis different from that of a normal E36 3 Series?
The E36 M3’s suspension is based on that of the regular E36 3 Series, with MacPherson struts in front and the multi-link “Z-axle” in the rear. However, BMW M made the following changes when adapting the system to the M3:
-Height decreased by 31mm (1.2-in.)
-Track increased by .55mm (front) and .90mm (rear)
-Firmer shocks and springs
-Reinforced spring mounting plates
-Thicker anti-roll bars
-Revised suspension geometry

In addition, all 3.0-liter M3s have a special M-tuned steering rack with a variable ratio (from 15.4:1 to 19.8:1) and engine-speed-sensitive power steering.

take from http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=14

thanks guys for the replies, i had owned an e36 evo when i was abroad..and i must say i fell in love with the pick up and the release of power with the touch of the
accelerator.. im not much of the hard out racer but enjoy the power with the 6 speed manual..
now considering all the info from u guys im in a tough position..
i drive a e36 cabrio and finding an e36 m cabrio is some how impossible on our land...
hahaha im gona have a sit on my thinking chair again..

ok just to update, i had spoken to my mech about all of this and he has also advised me not to do it unless i have too much money and willing to bring in the car every month to the workshop,
so im gona find another route and slowly bring up the bhp on the car.. found many interesting info online..
thanks for advice boys..

cheers

zeroboy;763366 said:
ok just to update, i had spoken to my mech about all of this and he has also advised me not to do it unless i have too much money and willing to bring in the car every month to the workshop,
so im gona find another route and slowly bring up the bhp on the car.. found many interesting info online..
thanks for advice boys..

cheers

yup, easier to buy an ori m3.

many other ways to bring up ur bhp. forced induction is always the best bang for buck. if you want to walk on the dark side, then we will welcome you with open arms. hahahaha. 300,400,500,600bhp? no problem. :D

hahaha thanks ramsing, im gona be walking on the kiddies sides first before i start getting really itchy...hope to meet up at a tt sometime to have a chat...

zeroboy;760966 said:
thanks guys for the replies, i had owned an e36 evo when i was abroad..and i must say i fell in love with the pick up and the release of power with the touch of the
accelerator.. im not much of the hard out racer but enjoy the power with the 6 speed manual..
now considering all the info from u guys im in a tough position..
i drive a e36 cabrio and finding an e36 m cabrio is some how impossible on our land...a
hahaha im gona have a sit on my thinking chair again..

Actually there was a 3L E36 M3 Cabriolet for sale on mudah a month or two ago..

Hi Zeroboy,

Good to know another e36 cabrio owner. Whats the specs?

Anyway just wanted to inform you that recently my workshop (Optimum Power) had a customer with a e36 3.2 M3 cabrio which he told me was intending to sell. Perhaps you might want to drop by and see if its still available. Daytona Violet.

Regards

hi eujax

mine is an e36 325i,

as for buying another car...hahaha i dont think so, not willing to let go of my car at the moment... its really good to know that there are some m3 cabrio's around..

all the cabbie owners are pretty hard to find, only get to spot them once in a while on the road...
EuJax;764048 said:
Hi Zeroboy,

Good to know another e36 cabrio owner. Whats the specs?

Anyway just wanted to inform you that recently my workshop (Optimum Power) had a customer with a e36 3.2 M3 cabrio which he told me was intending to sell. Perhaps you might want to drop by and see if its still available. Daytona Violet.

Regards

Top Bottom