E36 ///M & Coupe

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

KiNaKa

Club Guest
Anyone can describe the different between E36 ///M3 and Coupe ??i mean the body.... do they have wide body ????How to know whether is it a e36 Coupe or ///M3 when buying the car... without looking into the engine bay and interior.....Thanks in advanced.....

The body is the same for the coupe and ///M.... no flared arches or anything that distinguish itself from the normal coupe...
FYI, there are oso 4 door sedan M3 for the E36.

Originally posted by KiNaKa@Sep 4 2005, 09:10 PM
Anyone can describe the different between E36 ///M3 and Coupe ??

i mean the body.... do they have wide body ????

How to know whether is it a e36 Coupe or ///M3 when buying the car...

without looking into the engine bay and interior.....

Thanks in advanced.....
why so susah.....i believe u sure will open the bonet when u going to a car.... :D The body is the same except the heart.....

yes you can achieve enlightenment by opening the hood..the engine cover should read 'M-Power' haha :D :D

Plus all the little, little things like //M gauge panels, door trims, carpets, seats, etc...

Daniel,

There's very little to differentiate the E36 M models from their stock siblings visually. The interior and the engine bay are the safest place for you to look for verification. Perhaps this is the reason why BMW decided to discard their safe approach with the E46 M3 .. couple and cabrio and went for the agressive pumped up look. And in the UK, almost every E36 coupe is dressed up with M3 bodykit and rims which makes them a common sight everywhere.

lionel & et5,

"without looking into the engine bay and interior....."

How do u know Alvin punya M3 is a coupe ???
I really duno from outside and even inside.... hehehe

Guys,
i suddenly thought of something....

Issit e36 m3 only have 3.0L & 3.2L engine ??
if this is truth... then by looking at the road tax may know !!

just went to auction....
saw few e36 328 97 model end bid at 54K only... good driving condition & nice number somemore....

missed out one e36 328 cabriolet 96 model end bid at 56K only....

so i came out with this question becoz that e36 328i cabrio is FULL of M3 stuffs.... from outside & inside except engine can't see... i couldn't determine but the road tax...

Anyway,

Thanks for u guys info....

Appreciated it so muchie.... thanks

Originally posted by KiNaKa@Sep 5 2005, 10:15 PM
lionel & et5,

"without looking into the engine bay and interior....."

How do u know Alvin punya M3 is a coupe ???
I really duno from outside and even inside.... hehehe
first u asked about E36 and then u compared with the E30 M3???? u ok ah????

The E30 M3 is easily distinguished from the Non-M coupe..

ops... fab,

don't miss un.... i mean the exterior body looking....

thats why i put this on the exterior & body section....

just wanna differentiate between coupe & m3 for e36...

E30 M3 is just an example.. even an e30 coupe can become e30 M3....
since e36 no different on the chassis... more easier to tipu lol....

so have to make it clear before buying, don't later got con again.. hahaha

yes how about the registration card ???

those who have e36 m3 ??? mind to share bout it ???

what's the title for ur ride on the registration card ???

Originally posted by KiNaKa@Sep 5 2005, 11:03 PM
ops... don't miss un.... i mean the exterior body looking....

u know la... people can make up their car when selling ma... so before buying it have to make sure its correct lol.. don't later got con again... hahaha
brader, we have stated the facts. u can't tell an E36 M from the normal coupe. what more do u want?????????????????

u just reminded me how u irritated the nerves out of some of us when u first join the forum.... no offence, but sometimes u're just a bit 'cheong hei'...

Originally posted by KiNaKa@Sep 5 2005, 10:03 AM
ops... fab,

don't miss un.... i mean the exterior body looking....

E30 M3 is just an example.. even an e30 coupe can become e30 M3....
since e36 no different on the chassis... more easier to tipu lol....

so have to make it clear before buying, don't later got con again.. hahaha

yes how about the registration card ???

those who have e36 m3 ??? mind to share bout it ???

what's the title for ur ride on the registration card ???
You are right to say that it would be easy to make an E36 coupe look like an M car i.e E36 M3 3.0/3.2 (s50/s52)..... but it would take some doing i.e. loads of money I guess.....

The differences I know of would be:

the bodykit - front spoiler, side skirt, rear valance, rear boot spoiler, the side mirrors - must do your research for this bit to know the diff e.g. the side mirrors should be electric etc. .... check out the quality etc.....

the exhaust rear box - twin round - not unusual design but different i think from 328 etc. .... its kinda big (and expensive)

the interior - the seats, steering wheel, instrument cluster, pedals, shift knob, upholstry....some of these will have those littkle M// logos on them as standard.... check them if they are just cheap stickers etc. Check the combination of interior with body colour too by comparing with pics of known M3s..... there is usually a certain combination of interior trim+type of steering wheel (e.g. airbag or not, how many spokes etc.)+colour of car - this trim+colour+equipment combi can give you clues as to age of car etc. - this takes some reasearch as well....

the engine bay - a particular type of M design strut brace (very different from aftermarket ones), the S50/S52 engine - I dunno if they came with the X-brace as standard....

the colour - M cars have specifc colours e.g. dakar yellow etc....

Conclusion? If everything is in place, better bet that it is ori..... Its easy enough to do the usual bodykit change but downright expensive to change absolutely eveything :yes:....

e36-m3 abit more difficult to differenciate from the stock e36 coupe, thats why there are soo many wannabee 'm3' out there. Obviously the easiest would be the engine bay but we all know there are some with transplanted engines. What kinaka may be asking maybe is there a definitive way to see if a coupe is an m3 or just a car in drags........VIN number check anybody.......... :yes:

e30-m3 heaps easier to see the difference, 5-lug, flared side fenders, vader seats, red seat belts (but have seen these on non-m3 cars before)and this is the most definitive i believe (from the outside anyway) the rear boot is totally different from stock coupe and quite hard to retrofit onto normal coupe body.

guys,

just a thought... if i'm not mistaken, when u open the hood of the original ///M3, u can see the reinforced chassis (thick layer of weld) on the joint.... engines can be transplanted but the chassis, a bit leceh work to be done.... :wink:

just my humble opinion laa..... newbie maa... :D :D

better ask the old timers here.. hehhe...

regards

LipisBimmer

the real thing....

DSC00732.jpg

Originally posted by lipisbimmer@Sep 6 2005, 10:43 AM
guys,

just a thought... if i'm not mistaken, when u open the hood of the original ///M3, u can see the reinforced chassis (thick layer of weld) on the joint.... engines can be transplanted but the chassis, a bit leceh work to be done.... :wink:

just my humble opinion laa..... newbie maa... :D :D

better ask the old timers here.. hehhe...

regards

LipisBimmer
i like your thread... this is real good info !

buy u a tt next time !

Thanks alot bro....

Top Bottom