E36 head lamp moisture

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bCat

Club Guest
Dear all sifus, My E36 always have moiture inside the lamp esp after rain. Can i get some advice from you all guys? Thanks.

Check the rubber cover at the back of the headlights. Chances are water is seeping in through the rubber covers.

Pretty common problem. But, did you know that the E36 light casing has been designed with tiny airvents to clear the moisture on its own.

These vents get clogged up over time, so what you can do is remove the rear covers while driving on a hot day for a few hours, then replace the covers - this should get some moisture out. It has worked for me many times, althought once I did dismantle the entire light just to get the dirt out too (makes them look like new again) and also the vents could do their job again.

:) Hope this helps!

---

hmmm..... absidian..... my thanks to u too for the sound advice.
mine fogging up as well....

totally agree with absidian... its pretty common, and not really a problem i think. i do get some moisture in my headlights, but only after prolonged exposure to rain, about 2-3 hours. and it clears up pretty quickly after that as well.

I've got this problem too ever since i got the car. guess it's just a common thing from E36 ( i have seen E46 with this too ).
Anyway, i did noticed that if you open the bonnet slightly after you've reached home, it'll disappear even faster.
I used to experience this whenever i wash my car when the engine is hot. but now i just pop/unlatch the bonnet (but not opening it) to let the vapour escape,no more problem.
However, driving in heavy rain does makes the lense fog up but i just open the bonnet and it's gone by morning.
Hope this helps. Cheers.

Top Bottom