E36 328 sounding like a diesel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gier

Club Guest
Guys,Recently my '97 328 started making the infamous tick-tick sound. I just did a search on this very forum on hydraulic lifters and have read many conflicting accounts. Anyhow, my lump seems to not make the tick-tick when it's cold (or at least it's quiet enough that I can't normally hear it). The noise is very pronounced when the weather is hot and the engine's hot, especially after running it at ~120-140 kmh for +20 minutes or so (rushing from PJ to Cyberjaya on the KLIA highway). At that point, I would say that the engine sounds like a diesel.Further, I seem to have lost power. The torque is no more. I just got blasted by an EK9 on the way to work this morning -- which prompted me to go and see the sifu at Bavarian Auto Works Kayu Ara.Conversation went like this (after opening up the bonnet and letting him listen to the engine):Me: Ini bunyi tak kuat. Kalau panas lagi kuatSifu: Ini lifter problem. 24 mau kasi tukarMe: Berapa juta kena?Sifu: Tak ada juta. 2 ribu itu macam. 1 lebih kalau pakai murah punyaMe: So, you rasa itu lifter la?Sifu: Saya tak rasa. Saya tau.Anyhow, I took the car back since I can't afford the time to leave it at the shop for a couple of days (more meetings in Cyberjaya).Reason I'm posting this is because (without listening to the lump) I was wondering is the experts here would have a counter opinion. Further, this morning, got a warning that the coolant level is low -- which leads me to suspect that there might be something else apart from the lifters. The sifu at Bavarian Auto Works is pretty damned confident and says that the coolant/radiator this is another problem altogether.So, in short, my car seems to have lost power/compression, sounds like a diesel especially when hot (more teng-teng-teng than tick-tick-tick). Could it be the lifters?Could it be that one of the plugs is not firing? Air in radiator making the engine run hotter than normal?gier

Maybe you should get a second opinion.
I like M1 in kayu ara.
Go see Casey and see what he says.
He's always spot on with my car.

Let me know if you would like me to join you there,
alway nice to see what else he has in his workshop.

Cheers & Good Luck.

as i have posted, i had the same problem months back... there are many reasons which caused the sound. my conversation with my mech as follows:

me:ah meng, itu apa bunyi tu meng?

mech: itu balang aa...macam-macam hat juga... lalam enjin maa.. talak boleh sure 100% punya, mau kasi bukak tengok baru tau, lu kasi pakai sampai koyak dulu la... (LOL) kalau saya kasi tau itu lifter punya balang ka, piston ka, apa ka, lain hali ada bunyi lagi, talak jamin munya...mau kasi tengok dulu maa..

me : saya talak suka itu bunyi la ah meng...bising la

mech : lu kata lu ada tukar petrol kan..lu kasi tukar balik apa lu pakai dulu...kalau ada bunyi lagi lu tinggal keleta sini saya check untuk lu...

so i went back, changed back to my regular petrol, and after two tank full was the last time i heard the sound...

moral of the story: go figure... :D

Originally posted by Slide@Oct 20 2005, 05:46 PM
Maybe you should get a second opinion.
I like M1 in kayu ara.
Go see Casey and see what he says.
He's always spot on with my car.

Let me know if you would like me to join you there,
alway nice to see what else he has in his workshop.

Cheers & Good Luck.

I wish I had time to get a second opinion but I don't ufortunately. For now, I think I'll have to just take the workshop at their word. I'll be dropping the car at the shop late tonight so that he could sort it out over the weekend. Need the ride for the entire next week.

Next time, though, I hope to have the time. And I'll get in touch with you if I'm going over to M1.

Thanks man.

Originally posted by khalidm3@Oct 20 2005, 09:21 PM

mech : lu kata lu ada tukar petrol kan..lu kasi tukar balik apa lu pakai dulu...kalau ada bunyi lagi lu tinggal keleta sini saya check untuk lu...

so i went back, changed back to my regular petrol, and after two tank full was the last time i heard the sound...

moral of the story: go figure... :D

I don't think that the problem is the fuel. I'm not religious about my fuel (except I don't tarok Shell). I fill up the car with Petronas (mainly) and Projet or Esso/Mobil. So I don't think it's the fuel.

The power loss is the key there, I think. Anyhow, as I replied above, I'm sending the car to Bavarian Auto Works tonight to get the lifters done. I'll get him to check the radiator and the gasket as well. My car's done 171,000+ kms now so I suppose it's about time when some things are more likely to fall apart anyway.

Thanks.

all the best gier ...make sure you don't get slaughter by those lame mechanics which are not sure of what they are looking at ....

all the best :D

gier..

beside Bavarian Auto Works is another workshop. The name is Hap Sneg (i think) try asking them for a second opinion... they do Bimmers also.

M1? they look like they know, but sometimes they run like headless chickens... plus they are charging like a bomb to get things fixed. :beaten:

Recommendations?

Try optimum nearby kayu ara
try heritage in Klang Lama

how i know???
Hap seng is where i restore my car mechanicals B)
Bavarian auto works is just next door :yes:
M1 is where i sent a friend's e38 to get the aircon compressor done :ph34r:
optimum is the place where a friend sends his car... been hearing good reports, will be trying it out for next major service :D
heritage is where another friend sends his e34, i've seen them work... they seem like pros and work is good. :)

ps... the above is my personal view. I apologise if anybody feels offended in anyway

Top Bottom