E36 318 Turbo

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GT-E39

To 3 series members ,to ask anybody drive the 318 auto turbo before? Bcoz I found this car in the town , CBU ori unit from UK on year 1992.

best guy to ask is bmwsideways as he owns an e36 318is turbo... :nyehehe:

Originally posted by tombstone@Jul 2 2006, 01:46 PM
may i know how he did the turbo?
bolt on turbo? what turbine?
bolt on turbo to his m42 engine...
moves pretty fast too.... :blink:
turbine not too sure,....y dun u pm him for advice etc?

a'aw.. the word turbo keeps on appearing in my mind.. *since i'm geting my pay this evening* aiyo!

I'm also interested! If not mistaken it costs roughly about 5k including piggyback ecu like SMT6. Can recommend any good workshops for this?

Tyke has tested a drag race with a 2.5 litre n/a and a 1.8 litre turbo ... u guys can ask him what he thinks.

Originally posted by DanPromote@Jul 3 2006, 10:59 PM
I'm also interested! If not mistaken it costs roughly about 5k including piggyback ecu like SMT6. Can recommend any good workshops for this?

Tyke has tested a drag race with a 2.5 litre n/a and a 1.8 litre turbo ... u guys can ask him what he thinks.
i witnessed an m20 2.5 vs a m42 turbo lah...
if i test i sure kalah 1...
lol
but all i can say is....its bloody impressive...on low boost some more...

Hi guys...
Guess I can share some experiences as i have one myself..E36 318i
It came with the car when i bought the baby...

The original turbo was a Mosselman kit..
But kaput (turbine) last year...well managed to replace the same Garrett turbocharges... and did a major change over new stainless steel piping with a new intercooler too... (did mine at Jaaffar Sunway.. not bad)

well, if i am not wrong.. the max (recommended by mosselman, max boostpreassure is 0.4 bar)... std after boost.. ~ HP 170.. depends
but if u waanna boost higher.. Hmmmm...you may need some modifications..

The turbo that comes with the kit is puny, probably run out of breath pretty fast if you boost it higher :) You would probably need a piggyback too!! But I heard your turbo can outrun an e36 325 wor! :p :D

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jul 4 2006, 02:43 PM
The turbo that comes with the kit is puny, probably run out of breath pretty fast if you boost it higher :) You would probably need a piggyback too!! But I heard your turbo can outrun an e36 325 wor! :p :D
:D ... Guess its puny... tats why lar... but at least now can race with Wira 1.6..
If no turbo.. hmmmmm.... :lol:

more info, more info, more info pls ...i'm looking high and low for a bolt-on kit too... so far we only have E36 318? I wanna find something similar for my E46 318...

Guys,
Which engine are you guys talking about....? E36 318 normally in Malaysia is using the M43 engine which is 8 valve and SOHC not suitable for force induction. Whereas the M42 engine with 16 valve and DOHC more suitable. Correct me if i am wrong.

Originally posted by BlueMixWhite@Jul 4 2006, 04:11 PM
Guys,
Which engine are you guys talking about....? E36 318 normally in Malaysia is using the M43 engine which is 8 valve and SOHC not suitable for force induction. Whereas the M42 engine with 16 valve and DOHC more suitable. Correct me if i am wrong.
kindly elaborate please.. the ford pick-up is 8 valve diesel and lot's of torque.. :blink:

Both engines are suitable for forced induction, since there are knock sensors. Of course the M42 is the prime candidate with its stronger internals (forged crank, conrods), sodium coated valves, DOHC and etc.
But then again, with the high compression ratio, its only safe to run low boost level ~~ 0.5-0.6 bar.

Alternatively, if you have USD 3395 to splash, Downing Atlanta does make a supercharger kit for the 318 using similar Eaton compressor unit as those found in the Mercedes. More than 210hp at the cranks!

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jul 4 2006, 04:45 PM
Both engines are suitable for forced induction, since there are knock sensors. Of course the M42 is the prime candidate with its stronger internals (forged crank, conrods), sodium coated valves, DOHC and etc.
But then again, with the high compression ratio, its only safe to run low boost level ~~ 0.5-0.6 bar.

Alternatively, if you have USD 3395 to splash, Downing Atlanta does make a supercharger kit for the 318 using similar Eaton compressor unit as those found in the Mercedes. More than 210hp at the crank!
YOU are rite .... :yes: ....

Top Bottom