e34 windscreen....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ngkm

Club Guest
Moots,Sometime back you posted the location of where you changed your windscreen (somewhere near tawakal right?), could you let me know how much it cost? I couldn't find it in the e34 maint. list. Just want to do a comparo with MSG version, got quoted for RM3k for original (glass plus all the trimmings - my plastic brittle already... won't last the replacement process). Is the MSG version laminated as well?Mine got smashed in at 100km/h infront of tesco puchong. The lump of tar was the size of a child's fist coming from the other side of the road like a missile :angry: Tossed up by one of those "Lori Hantu" tipper trucks. I'm assuming the speed at impact would be around 120-130 km/h. Surprisingly it didnot shatter nor did it penetrate into the cabin. :( Looks like a bad month for $$ as my springs are due to be replaced as well.

I think can get Thailand made glass for around RM700 (or less). Laminated. Need to buy the rubber trimmings separately. Zoggee got jalan from up north. I have one piece ordered coz there are 2 strange cracks at the bottom corners, though the glass is still holding up. How much is MSG?

Just a thot ..

Buy fr kedai potong ... cheaper + original

I think MSG screen will give u the glare when driving at nite. Plus, I dun think it comes with the greent tint.

I hv used this MSG glass for my E30 last time. Cannot tahan .. at last change it to 'kedai potong' version. Am still using it ...

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Jan 5 2005, 06:48 PM
I think can get Thailand made glass for around RM700 (or less). Laminated. Need to buy the rubber trimmings separately. Zoggee got jalan from up north. I have one piece ordered coz there are 2 strange cracks at the bottom corners, though the glass is still holding up. How much is MSG?
Ooo.... the chopshop or thai option sounds good, but I can't wait liao... going overseas this weekend for sometime and cannot afford to keep the car with a screen like that (family will be driving around).
Just checked that my windscreen ins. is covered upto 2.5k, might opt for the original instead. Spoke to some colleagues at work on their opinion on MSG ... they said its not a good option - especially the glare at night and definitely will not tahan the kind of impact that I went thru.

now must go look for huper optik dealer after this....

Just a curious observation.
Was looking at some ckd bmw's (e39/46) looks like most later ckd cars all come standard with MSG fitted (based on the markings on the screens/windows). Earlier CKD cars (like my '89 e34s ) all came the "sekurit" glass.

cheers.

Originally posted by ngkm@Jan 6 2005, 05:50 AM
Moots,
Sometime back you posted the location of where you changed your windscreen (somewhere near tawakal right?), could you let me know how much it cost? I couldn't find it in the e34 maint. list.

Just want to do a comparo with MSG version, got quoted for RM3k for original (glass plus all the trimmings - my plastic brittle already... won't last the replacement process). Is the MSG version laminated as well?

Mine got smashed in at 100km/h infront of tesco puchong. The lump of tar was the size of a child's fist coming from the other side of the road like a missile :angry: Tossed up by one of those "Lori Hantu" tipper trucks. I'm assuming the speed at impact would be around 120-130 km/h. Surprisingly it didnot shatter nor did it penetrate into the cabin.

:( Looks like a bad month for $$ as my springs are due to be replaced as well.
Ngkm,
Shop os behind tawakkal,facing the opposite way and in front of it is open space and got one small teh tarik stall.
Cost rm640++ if i remember right and yes it's msg and laminated.Had to re-use the trimmings but the clips for the trim was provided.I insured the glass for rm1200.tried to persuade the tauke to include the trim replacement but no go.didn't pay a single sen.drive in,1.5 hrs later,drive out.of must bring the insurance lar.and it helps if you r the first customer of the day.and i don't have any glare issues with the new window 'cept that the glass,at night,looks like got oily smears on the inside surface,which,when I wipe,it clears but only to come back at later drive sessions.I never had this issue with the oem windshield.if this is the 'glare' that you're talking about...then yes,the glare is there.

got wind screen for e36 ka? mine smacked by the wiper arm and crack on the inner layer. Heard that somebody having method to treat this, well prevent it from further crack also a good enough solution for the time being since if I consider to change already cost me several hundred RM further more considering to change it when respraying is to be done.

A funny thing happened friday evening. i had parked my E34 outside my front gate and was enjoying a spot of tea, planning my weekend when i hear my neighbour hollering out for me. 6 of them including two kids with badminton racquets in hand were staring at my rear windscreen. It was completely shattered and starting to cave into the speaker area. Bugger. There went my saturday morning i thought.

This happened at abt 1730 h. My opposite neighbours kids were playing badminton. So i doubt it was vandalism. Thus i could only conclude that it was the badminton shuttle-cock! Unless something dropped from the sky ala a Coke bottle from The Gods Must Be Crazy.

An inherent weak spot in the glass? Needless to say, the kids didn t own up to anything. They might be completely innocent because it s just unlikely that the shuttle could inflict such damage.

I changed the screen the following morning - behind Tawakal. MSG - RM630 all inclusive.

A funny thing really

Thanks for indulging me

FLY

dudes,

one question, my winshield got wiper scratch marks quite a bad one i believe. Is there anyway i can get rid of these scratch marks?

lolipo

MSG is Malayan(malaysia) sheet glass. They are the biggest glass and bottle manufacturers here . Huge factory somewhere near kepong.One question: what glare does one get???As far as i see, they are oem and laminated....shd be ok...

moots;5779 said:
Ngkm,
Shop os behind tawakkal,facing the opposite way and in front of it is open space and got one small teh tarik stall.
Cost rm640++ if i remember right and yes it's msg and laminated.Had to re-use the trimmings but the clips for the trim was provided.I insured the glass for rm1200.tried to persuade the tauke to include the trim replacement but no go.didn't pay a single sen.drive in,1.5 hrs later,drive out.of must bring the insurance lar.and it helps if you r the first customer of the day.and i don't have any glare issues with the new window 'cept that the glass,at night,looks like got oily smears on the inside surface,which,when I wipe,it clears but only to come back at later drive sessions.I never had this issue with the oem windshield.if this is the 'glare' that you're talking about...then yes,the glare is there.

Is this shop still there? my e34 windscreen pecah pulak!!:20::20:

Replaced the windscreen today at Dr. Cermin Enterprise Pandan Perdana...cost me Rm700-00, workmanship very good as they didn't broke any single clip...16 clips x RM8!!! so I told them to do it carefully.....

mizhan;447257 said:
kalau tukar getah dia sekali berapa bro? cermin e34 aku pun dah retak..

Pssst..beli insuran dulu, jangan jadi macam aku...:rolleyes:

guys,
Where do I get a rear windscreen? I came back from Melbourne and discovered my rear windscreen shattered. Called up First division, rather pricey. Any where can get a used one? thanks

Yassin;449440 said:
guys,
Where do I get a rear windscreen? I came back from Melbourne and discovered my rear windscreen shattered. Called up First division, rather pricey. Any where can get a used one? thanks

compare quote with InnerPower. if still pricey, visit chop shops la.

I think the shop mentioned in Jalan Pahang in DSG. You could call them Mr Ho at 016-252 4622 or 03-4021 7798.

Dont flame me but i've been there for my replacement and quite satisfied with my claim. I usually send my customers wscreen claim the last time.

As usually couple of hours and whalla. Clear vision LOL :burnout:

last saturday (27/11) went there, was quoted rm280 for replacing the rubber and clip (cost rm5 each, e34 got 20 clips for its windscreen)..but they cant guarantee the windscreen if its broken during uninstallation..if want new windscreen, it cost rm600 (not sure whether it's all in cost or windscreen price only coz by the time i arrive, they are about to close..

Top Bottom