e34 decal/accelerating

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

piquet

Club Guest
hi, hope someone can help with me with my new problem: each time i decelerate the car (at junctions,bumps) to nearly standstill and start to accelerate again the engine will rev up but no acceleration on my car(like gears not engaging) until I will get a thud sound from under& behind the car and the car will jerk fwd and move on.I can prevent this by creating a time delay b4 accelerating again after the initial decelaration.At first i suspected the gbox but someone told me to check the driveshaft (longshaft?) as well,could be some play there at the coupling.anyone with similar experience..

piquet, sorry to tell you but I think your gearbox kaput. If you do a search for auto gearbox problems this is one of the symptoms to indicate gearbox about to kaput. Usually it occurs in reverse gear first. Engage gear but car doesn't move. Must rev car then suddenly car moves. Think you need to start looking for another gearbox. Can try changing ATF but I don't think it will help.

seech, I do sence a time delay when changing gears.sometimes car wont move for a while ......damn! just when i thought i can take a breather!!!
but should i wait or get it done straight away?how long b4 totally kaput

mine d shifting seems ok..but the loud thud thud thud sounds comes from d rear if i do hard acceleration from standstill.. any ideas??

piquet, how long b4 kaput? cannot tell leh. but since gearbox is clearly kaput or kaputing and cannot be repaired anyway so if you don't want to change immediately you can keep driving but problem will slowly get worse until one day you engage gear and it won't move so if you can live with that then don't worry about it just yet. whatever you do, don't change the ATF. Usually ppl got problem with gearbox then only change ATF, it will make problem worse. The time to change ATF is BEFORE you have problem as a maintenance step. Many ppl got problem then only changed ATF, finish, car doesn't move after change.

Hope this helps.

guys,been away for a while.Just to update you on my gearbox-turned out that the oil level was low(previous mech said he topped up!!)I took my car to mscope and the boss there(forgot his name) took it for a test drive and immediately declared that oil level is low.Each time I decelerate the car,oil rushes fwd and starves the g/box oilpump of oil,causing the 'thud' sound. G/box sump opened,filter replaced,solenoid vlv replaced and oil topped correctly.So far so good .Really happy with these guys service at mscope.damage: rm180

Well done, you must be really pleased. Nice to hear that some problems don't end up costing a fortune to fix.

BLaCkHoWLiNG;218699 said:
mine d shifting seems ok..but the loud thud thud thud sounds comes from d rear if i do hard acceleration from standstill.. any ideas??

boss that could be your long shaft holder has given way,u can feel that its like something hitting at the bottom.......of your car....:burnout:

Top Bottom