E34 Auxliary Fan

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Creator

Club Guest
My Aux Fan(the one on front of the radiator) failed, such that it doesnt spin at low speed, however when it goes for high speed, there is this loud scarping sound thats coming out. According to da mechanics, the fan already spoil because old, so need to change. Quoted price was RM900! Comes with labour and the frame. Sheez!Anyonw had this problem before and where to find cheaper fans/shop chops to source?

auxfan is electrical fan, it use electric motor. on my e34, the fan doesnt enggage even when i turn the a/c on. yea, new bosch fan cost arnd 900 and ridicolously xpensive. other alternative is u cud use cheaper taiwanese motor. heard it cost less than 200 brand new+fin.

i removed the auxfan ( u need to remove ur front bumper the gain excess) and found that the bearing seized. i removed and realigned/greased the bearing, reassemble and work like charm till 2day. save me 900++ bucks :D

yeah man...brudder skin is spot on.
if you diy kaki....remove the fan and do what he suggested.

or if kompom the fan really koyak beyond diy....go to an aircond shop/electrical shop and ask them for a replacement fan motor.i went this way and put in a replacement mercedes electric motor fan blade.the frame can be reused.cost - rm300++

Mine must be the strangest of the lot. Motor seized, I took out the unit without removing the bumper!. Cut out the motor. Used the main harness, then sticked an Isuzu aux fan motor and its blade, then mounted it back. Rewired it and sealed the electrical connectors.

Going for more than 3 years and torture test several track days. Works better than stock and is way lighter than stock. Cheaper better and lighter. About the first mod I did out of necessity for the car.
:yahoo:

Skinhead & Moots, thanks for the tips man. I think I will go DIY like u guys, but have to wait till the weekdend coz my place no problem garage to do this. Hopefully the temp hold on till then, so far my gauge reading is ok. I will keep you guys posted on my progress in this thread!

E34EuroTouring, dude how did u remove urs without removing da bumper. Some hints please, can safe alot of trouble when trying my DIY. Thanks man!

Hullo sifus sinhead, moots and E34ET

Can you post some diagrams on how to diy the fan motor?

TQVM :D :D

Hi Creator and ET5,

Its been years since I did that (actually > 3 yrs). from memory, I can say the holding nuts can be removed using short wrenches and it will take time. Top ones accessibly from top/front of the radiator thru the hole/slid. Use a flashlight to shine inside. Nothing too complicated.

Then go to the bottom of the car and do the same with the holding nuts under there. About 1 each side. When nut is off, wiring disconnected, You can slide the aux fan and harness from under the car downwards. The harness is made of hard plastic and it can bend a little to get that out.

I used a hacksaw to saw off bits of the harness to mount the new/different fan unit. Tricky to find since it needed of depth of not more than 3 inches!!. Many fan units are very thick over 3.5 inches. Clearence issue in the place.

I actually used 4 stainless steel clamps to clamp the cut support of my fan unit to the BMW harness. Its solid when done. Then slide it in gently from bottom of car. My car was on 2 front jack-stands, so enough space.

Sorry I did not take pics of that work. It sounded complex but only a couple of hours work in a saturday afternoon. Of course you need the suitable parts and the right tools. I actually set my fan to Hi all the time since it is not as noisy as stock on high. Blows well and ac reasonably cool.

regarding this.. i was told and advised by mariff32.
dear arif.. can u give more explaination here.. and maybe pix to show diff between 2 fan u told me that nite..

E34 Aux Fan - Where to buy Motor only

Hi there,

I have the AUX fan out - The motor seized,Anyone know where I can find a similar motor (new) or mod - Dont want to buy a new fan - just want to repair and add a resistor ?
Anyone with any ideas - Greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dom

Cressidom;437106 said:
Hi there,

I have the AUX fan out - The motor seized,Anyone know where I can find a similar motor (new) or mod - Dont want to buy a new fan - just want to repair and add a resistor ?

Cheers
Dom

as far as i can remember&know, nobody repair aux fan motor. most of the time the bearing seized. ur best bet if it seized is to replace the motor with the used one. or else u change to taiwanese motor+blade or the one w124 merc mostly using. if ur diy, i wud suggest getting new motor+blade. some majic tie zipper will put it in place if the mounting holes are different.

Cressidom;437106 said:
Hi there,

Cheers
Dom

dei Dom...dun la want to mod mod all. later the fan short, ur ecu also burn. just go buy one from chopshop..not expensive.

or i know one E34 with 540i engine..got big fan. i know where he stays oso...u can 'borrow' his fan at night :D

bro, i just changed mine....got it from Hakitrade for about RM250 and got Naidu to fix it for me. Check it out

Not long ago i quoted NEW AUX FAN in Singapore for my M20 engine

BOSCH OEM $SGD200+
ORIGINAL BMW $SGD300+

however, i ended up changing a new resistor made by BEHR(made in Ireland) which i get in Malaysia, for RM100, then fixed my aux fan problem

Talked about this aux fan, has anyone of you experience fuse no: 25 (30 amps) in fuse box blown, as and when it like?

Morpheus..seems a bit on the high side..am trying to find a simpler / cheaper solution.:top:

Wan520i..sorry have not had that kind of electrical problem.

Thanks/Dom

wan520i;443669 said:
Talked about this aux fan, has anyone of you experience fuse no: 25 (30 amps) in fuse box blown, as and when it like?

wan520i

normal running elec equipment in a car wont jus blow fuse as wen as it like. the fuse is only for ur auxfan. so if it blows, it mean one thing, the elecfan is drawing more thn 30A current. why?? i bet it has something todo wit the motor itself. mebbe the bearing seized or anything.. jus get it open up and inspect... ohh yea... the front bumpa gotta go 1st :rolleyes:

Sound right,

My fan siezed and the Resistor went with it. That's why am looking for a similar type motor to replace..cause the E34 ori ones don't seem to last very long.

Cheers
Dom

Top Bottom