E30 wet carpet

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Alejandro

Club Guest
Hi guys. My 1990 E30 M40 driver side footwell carpet is soaking wet after I left it parked for few days. I suspect it is rain water due to our current rainy season. I did cleared the elephant trunk before and tried water stress test but unable to find the leakage. It seems like the water resides in between the carpet and the floorboard. The carpet felt very spongy and when pressed a lot of water would exit through the floorboard drain plug. My E30 is a weekend car and most of the time it is parked outside the house uncovered.Anyone with similar problem? or has any clue on where to check for the problem?Thanks.

there is a lot of factors to consider the leak comes from.

1. major place is:
- windscreen rubber
- innner fender panel rusted drainage
- battery platform rusted
- firewall rusted

2. localised problem
- side signal fender gromet into cabin
- door slide control grommet
- chasis rubber worn down
- door panel inner plastic koyak, hence water will flow into cabin

other areas ??

to check, remove the carpet, soak with newpaper to dry, while carpet open, do a leak test by spraying water from grden hose for at least half hour. sit in car to locate the leak, preferably at night with a bright torchlight, easy to see water.

best of luck !!

Alejandro;698503 said:
My E30 is a weekend car and most of the time it is parked outside the house uncovered.

naahh.. that's the reason.... the car is having wet dreams coz u seldom "spank" her... lol... just joking..

on a serious note...i concur with pussy... he listed down the famous culprits...

gOdspEed;705522 said:
naahh.. that's the reason.... the car is having wet dreams coz u seldom "spank" her... lol... just joking..

on a serious note...i concur with pussy... he listed down the famous culprits...

LOLZ. Thanks for the replies guys. On another note, I have leaks at both side of the trunk as well, where you put your car jack and the other side. Talking about tail light gasket, what is the proper way to fix it to the car? I mean just by placing it in between the tail light and the body or you need to put some sort of sealant between it? When I dismantle the tail light the gasket came off like there is no sealant put on it between the tail light and the body. Is it normal?

Thanks.

Top Bottom