E 28 Noob needs advice 2 get car in order.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Club Guest
Hi, just got my E28. It has a M 30 engine. 3.5 autoJust a few issues to sort out, so I hope those experienced sifu sifu here can give some clues as to where to start.First order of businessOn cold start, eg mornings, car idles cycles up and down between 800rpm to about 1200rpm. This goes away when engine is warmed up.When in D and footbrake engaged, engine will rock like a hi-cammed V8 but RPM is a steady 800 rpms.Second, I've got a 4 speed tranny, no idea what model. Kickdown at low speed sends a small jolt to the rear differentials. Normal for an 80s tranny?Also, tranny vibrates for a second or 2 while acclerating from standstill. Happens everytime. It feels very much like a lose pinion gear bearing! Err, lastly, what tire pressure to use ah? Got 16 inch tires on BBS rims.Ok that's all for now. TIA.

6099;304817 said:
Hi, just got my E28. It has a M 30 engine. 3.5 auto

Just a few issues to sort out, so I hope those experienced sifu sifu here can give some clues as to where to start.

First order of business

On cold start, eg mornings, car idles cycles up and down between 800rpm to about 1200rpm. This goes away when engine is warmed up.

if the car is properly tuned then it's prob your cold injector control or idle stablizer valve (about 150 used)

When in D and footbrake engaged, engine will rock like a hi-cammed V8 but RPM is a steady 800 rpms.

prob your engine & / or transmission mounts - dont worry they are cheap.. about 50ea - there are 3.. but normally its the one on the "hot exhaust side" that goes first..

Second, I've got a 4 speed tranny, no idea what model. Kickdown at low speed sends a small jolt to the rear differentials. Normal for an 80s tranny?

should be minimal.. you either have play in your prop-shaft , drive-shaft or tranny is shot..:(.. either will nto be cheap :9 - sorry

Also, tranny vibrates for a second or 2 while acclerating from standstill.

sorry.... prob tranny... you can get it repaired for typicallyr a few K , or get a good used one for about 1.5-2K.. a good one should last a long time.. suggest you try flushing & changing tranny oil,,, small chance it will help - if not keep oil for you new tranny so no $ are wasted :rock:

Happens everytime. It feels very much like a lose pinion gear bearing!
could be but typically the selectors, clutch plate wear out one an auto long before the pinon bearing..

Err, lastly, what tire pressure to use ah? Got 16 inch tires on BBS rims.

I think it was about 30-32 all around.. car tends to overstear at limit so you may want to try aabout 1-3 psi HIGHER in the front.. ie front about 33-31.. back about 31-28.
trim to your personal taste in comfort, road feel, balance etc.:cool:

Ok that's all for now. TIA.

.. once you settle in the car its GREAT... e28 was my first BMWer and a great bargain car nowdays.. still enjoyable to drive, stable on the highways, reasonable to maintain and generally v. reliable. just keep the rust at bay :rolleyes:

last "tip" - the M30 uses non-hydraulic valves that need adjustment periodically.. it thus REALLY PAYS to keep your valves adjusted PURRfectly (think its 0.1mm and your dist cap/rotor and plugs in tip top condition) as the car is sensitive to this.

If you do so it feel sooo much smoother. Unfortunately most mech don't adj the valves accurately and the car still runs "OK" but keep it adjusted PURRFECTLY and it feels so much smoother its unreall.. (Thus I prefer to do it myself - eas
y & fun 20 mins)

Holy schmoke, you can adjust valves in 20 mins? Super mechanic or what? Can I buy you a couple of drinks? *Wink* * Wink*

Anyway, thanks for the headstart, well, I can live with that clunking tranny for now. I'll just call it character.

So you mean you can get a rebuild for a couple of Ks or a used one for moreless 1.5k. So, a couple of Ks is like 2 (fingers corssed hard)

Yeah, the cycling RPMs didn't happen this morning. This biatch showing moods already.

I had a good look at the door jambs this morning, the tire pressure sticker wasn't missing, the paint shop monkey was too lazy to mask it out. Anyway, just managed to read 2.3 bar (34psi) back and front. Well, car handles nicer now as the pressure was a low 29psi.

And the fuel economy is really a freakn contradiction in terms. RM 60 only getting about 230km. Bugger.

Ok, grumblings aside. Am really enjoying the car.

Oi, how come no E28 TT lately??

u got the red one??

if thts the car.. then was maintained frm day one in puchong!

6099;304817 said:
On cold start, eg mornings, car idles cycles up and down between 800rpm to about 1200rpm. This goes away when engine is warmed up.

It could be Oxygen Sensor.

mafia;304920 said:
u got the red one??

if thts the car.. then was maintained frm day one in puchong!

yeah would like to go back to puchong for service but so far la! any E28 workshops in Glenmarie?

wow so fast the car chged hands!...

hey glenmarie to puchong only 15 to 20mins

n its important as the mech knws the history of the car.. the previous owner frm the owner u bot, maintained the car very very well...

Mafia,
Which w/shop in Puchong that's repair E28. Can forward the add. or contact.

Checked all vacuum hoses, cleaned that T shaped idle control thingy, engine still shivering.

Sigh.

Haven't had time for a workshop visit. : (

th evacumm hoses below the manifold.. most of them sure miss tht... ur AFM?

Those two tiny tubes one goes to the fuel press regulator and the other goes dunno where? Yes got those. Unless there are more.

How do you check AFM?

BEsides throttle position sensor too. Are there any more sensors on the throttle body?

Where can I find the cold valve thingy?

hello chaps,

just got the car back from workshop.

Engine is as smooth as cream. It wasn't an air leak or the AFM or any of the sensors. They adjusted the valve celarance, that's all.

Car feels much more powerful too. tranny still jerking between 1st and 2nd. But hey, that's cool for now.

Red Baron, u know where la.

BTW, fuel consumption also improved greatly. Used to get about 6-7km per litre, now 8km+ . 160km on RM35 petrol.

6099;314144 said:

BTW, fuel consumption also improved greatly. Used to get about 6-7km per litre, now 8km+ . 160km on RM35 petrol.

where are the workshop bro ?
give the address or phone number please.
i want to go too for setting my 528 :top:

6099;314144 said:

It's around 0.21cent/L.??

Top Bottom