Driving Stability...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mun

Club Guest
My 325 had registered the following fault on the I-drive monitor1. Driving stability : Brake and drive control systems failure. Reduced braking and driving stability. Avoid hard braking.2. DBC Failure : No DBC assistance while emergency braking. Drive moderately.3. Start Assistant inactive. Caution, Car can roll back!!It has been checked by Ingress and Rishi reported that the ABS pump is faulty. Need to order from Germany.I'll give it a month. Asked whether this is common, and the answer was common to 325. He's applying replacement under warranty.Since this is "common", has anyone experienced it?And yes, cruise control does not work while this is at fault , as I discovered on my way to Ipoh.http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=247&pictureid=1132http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=247&pictureid=1131http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=247&pictureid=1130http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=247&pictureid=1128http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=247&pictureid=1129

If it were a common problem, they would have stock and wouldn't have to order it from Germany.

Mun, every problem is 'a common problem' to them. ;)

Maybe it's too common that their stock run out!! Ha!ha!

Schwepps;498798 said:
.. Mun, every problem is 'a common problem' to them. ;)

Haha.. its better for them to say: "It's common!" than "Wow! We have not seen this fault before!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Which one U want to hear?! :D :D

This is common, that is common, implies that BMWs are full of all sorts of problems.:rolleyes: I would rather hear that an ABS pump rarely goes kaput.

My ABS pump died last year and resulted in similar warnings as yours. Sent it in to Sapura and had to wait for the parts to be sent from Germany. Also under warranty (which expires this month).

I thought only e46 has this "common" problem...seems like the technology has been brought over to E90 as well....RM3K ppl!!

Spaceman;498949 said:
Mun n Traveler: what are your mileage respectively?

Mine at 36k. Pretty strange at such mileage. Like I said before, I did asked if this is an isolated case, apparently not for 325.

Will have to take it easy on the driving especially on the wet. That's sucks!

Btw, the unit cost around 10k!!!

Traveler;499022 said:
Currently 41k, was around 35k when it happened.

ABS pump is a complicated mechanism which functions on electronic+hydraulic+mechanical combined. I don't know how Spaceman drives but judging by his mileage, both Traveler and Spaceman seldom push or I can even confidently say they never push their cars into the redline and had never activated the ABS. My guess is the ABS too need to "exercise" a bit to let the internal valves and parts lubricated and the only way to do this is to brake hard once in a while to let ABS kick in.

I must admit I rempit often because my missy is the full time driver and once I got the opportunity to use the car, is all hell break loose.. yet, the my ABS kicks in not more than 5 times during the last 27 months of ownership (34k km done). Averaging out ABS activated/flushed once every 5~6k km. :top:

The interesting thing was that the problem first cropped up while driving in heavy rain. Not sure if it was a coincidence or if water got in to the electrics.

As for Astroboy's comments, I don't recall my ABS kicking in at all in my 3 years of driving my car, so I guess I never came close to reaching the limits. But DSC did kick in several times so does that count? After all DSC does use the ABS pump.

The only time I've had ABS kick in under braking in the E90 was during the Driver Training sessions. Something everyone should experience :)

Trav, you don't need to be close to reaching the limits to invoke ABS. In fact if ABS has to kick in when you're hot-dogging at high speed, you must have overcooked it and be close to a catastrophy. You surely don't want that! If you believe that you need to exercise it to keep it in working order, just go along a quiet residential road at ~50kmh, make sure no one is behind you and stomp on your brakes to a complete stop.

Most ABS situations are at city speeds, to avoid unexpected obstacles. All of mine have been to avoid animals, and fools at traffic intersections. My most recent one was driving normally down a housing street to a CNY do, and 2 cats darted across the road startled by fireworks.

Mun;499051 said:
Mine at 36k. Pretty strange at such mileage. Like I said before, I did asked if this is an isolated case, apparently not for 325.

Will have to take it easy on the driving especially on the wet. That's sucks!

Btw, the unit cost around 10k!!!

Perhaps its pure luck. My Myvi's ABS kicked so many times (cant remember) in the last 47 months and no sign of failure.

A friend's Hyundai Starex has been giving ABS lights when it was 6 months after driving out of showroom. Now into 18 months and the light still on and dunno what happened to warranty claim. Seem unresolved. Sensor la...blah..blah...blah...the SA told, but i think its ABS kaput.

So its like sheer luck i believe. I will watch out for mine. Just a bit annoying each time i heard the OBC 'tang....tang...', something bad! My heart beat will shoot to the max....like kena stroke!

astroboy;499094 said:
ABS pump is a complicated mechanism which functions on electronic+hydraulic+mechanical combined. I don't know how Spaceman drives but judging by his mileage, both Traveler and Spaceman seldom push or I can even confidently say they never push their cars into the redline and had never activated the ABS. My guess is the ABS too need to "exercise" a bit to let the internal valves and parts lubricated and the only way to do this is to brake hard once in a while to let ABS kick in.

I must admit I rempit often because my missy is the full time driver and once I got the opportunity to use the car, is all hell break loose.. yet, the my ABS kicks in not more than 5 times during the last 27 months of ownership (34k km done). Averaging out ABS activated/flushed once every 5~6k km. :top:

My ABS did kick in not more than 2 times if i can recall in the last few years. But, i believe when it works it will work normally. Its luck i think.

Who say i didnt push my car...??? Ever since i have the paddle shifters behind my wheel, i will drag up to red line each time i drive on NSH. Btw, i mostly drive it on NSH with this car. Seldom stop-n-go. House too near my shop la...

You guys not trashing your cars hard enough. My ABS kick in so many times (especially when I brought it to track) till I can't count how many time. Well... basically it shows that the more you "sayang" your car, the more headaches she gives you :D

David Yong;499123 said:
You guys not trashing your cars hard enough. My ABS kick in so many times (especially when I brought it to track) till I can't count how many time. Well... basically it shows that the more you "sayang" your car, the more headaches she gives you :D

ya hor...pretty true also, the value drops anyways, its time to trash it....

Schwepps;499120 said:
... If you believe that you need to exercise it to keep it in working order, just go along a quiet residential road at ~50kmh, make sure no one is behind you and stomp on your brakes to a complete stop..

My personal favorite is when approaching speed bump on wet road.. step it hard to test how much grip u have.. its always good to check on your wet traction and get familiarised with it before its too late.

Not only that, I also always check on my rear traction in wet corners to see how much it can take before it gives in. Understand your cars limit help u to become a more responsible driver.. :wink:

That's a good idea, and practising is a good point. :top: A lot of people don't know that you have to stand on the brake pedal to activate the ABS. Like a friend who recently rear-ended his E60 into another car...because he was checking his blackberry. :)

ABS and DCS checking don't have to be at breakneck speeds. Then you save on brakes, tyres and of course, life and property.

Yeah, I know a few people who panicked when they stomped on the brakes activating the ABS and resulting that that scratchy sound and feeling of the ABS working. They thought they had broken something and the grating sound was bad.

Another good way of testing out the ABS is to slam on the brakes on when driving at maybe 30-40km/h on a wet surface (just make sure no one around who may accidentally hit you or you may accidentally hit). I remember my first time driving under snowing conditions back in the US, ABS kicked in while I was driving very slowly (

Top Bottom