Decreasing tire grip levels

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

valkryie

Club Guest
Hi Guys, Currently running on Toyo T1-R tires 235/35R19 and I feel that my dry tire grip levels are decreasing. Thread level is at about 50-65% left. Is this a common thing specific to particular brand of tires or does the grip level diminish universally as the tire thread gets worn off. I read in some car magazine that some performance bridgestone tires actually have two rubber compounds in their tires to maintain the same level of grip throughout the useful lifespan of the tires. The theory is that as the outer rubber layer gets worn off, another inner layer of sticky compound will be exposed. Thus the grip level will not be compromised. Thanks.

Yes the grip does vary as the thread decreases. (I said vary, not decrease or increase). Some tyres are good for the first 50%, some better after that...
It all depends on the compounds.

Why is it most of the guys prefer toyo, yokohama and bridgestone? What's wrong with michelin, continental and pirelli tyres?

funfer_fahrer said:
Why is it most of the guys prefer toyo, yokohama and bridgestone? What's wrong with michelin, continental and pirelli tyres?

Nothing wrong with Michelin etc, they are just much more expensive than japs tires! Usually the contis last longer and their grip is good from 100% down to 30% wear.

OSFlanker said:
Nothing wrong with Michelin etc, they are just much more expensive than japs tires! Usually the contis last longer and their grip is good from 100% down to 30% wear.

Thanks for the tips bro. Actually, after being a loyal Michelin user I am thinking of switching to Conti. You know, it's like "hari-hari makan ikan mana ada syok". Is Klang still the right place to go to look for the imported conti? Please let me know if any of you guys happen to know. Most of the tyre shops I visited were selling Malaysian made conti. I believe the quality is the same as Sime tyres. So, I am going to avoid this like a plague.

I missed out that he's using 19 inch rims. changing tyres would be a heavy wallet lightening exercise.

a bit off topic, I don't believe in running big big rims especially in Malaysia. That's just me..

fabianyee said:
I missed out that he's using 19 inch rims. changing tyres would be a heavy wallet lightening exercise.

a bit off topic, I don't believe in running big big rims especially in Malaysia. That's just me..

You got a very good point there, fab.

I believe Michelin PS2 is better, in terms of wet grip, as compared to Conti or Toyo. Have not tried Pirelli yet...
My 17s still have around 40% tread and it performs as it should be.. I still have my brand new 235/35 R19 Michelin PS2 sitting in the shop... still waiting for the rims..

OSFlanker said:

Not when it comes to the Conti CSC1. At about 40% that tyre is already very useless in the wet.

Appreciate if you all could post comments and reasons on decreasing grip as the wear sets in. The thread is beginning to stray into wet grip level, etc.

Thanks.

valkryie said:
Appreciate if you all could post comments and reasons on decreasing grip as the wear sets in. The thread is beginning to stray into wet grip level, etc.

Thanks.
Reason is simple, it's the difference composition of compounds used. The better tyres are those with silica compound. but these tyres don't come cheap especially for the bigger sized tyres.

IMO, thread pattern don't really affect straight line dry grip, it comes into play to disperse water ala Formula 1. However, the block patterns does affect the cornering grip, big blocks threads are good for lateral grip as they tend to flex less during cornering. That being said, it should oso mean that there would be lesser flex as the tyres wear thinner provided the compound used remained effective.

OSFlanker said:

Not sure I can agree on that too......I have personal experience on a set of MICHELINs which went hard and even when the threads were visible, they were totally diabolical to drive on....scary.

To be fair - this was quite some time back and eversince i used Japs sourced tyres and have little complaints.

Jules said:
Not sure I can agree on that too......I have personal experience on a set of MICHELINs which went hard and even when the threads were visible, they were totally diabolical to drive on....scary.

To be fair - this was quite some time back and eversince i used Japs sourced tyres and have little complaints.

Notice I put the word "usually" in front? Of course it's only a generalisation and nowadays with Thai and Indo made Michelins we can never be sure to get the quality of French made Michelins.

Besides, within Michelin and Pirelli they also have medium range tyre but I am sure range like Pilot Sport 2 and Pirelli P Zero you can get consistent good grip throughout the tyre lifespan. On my Finland made Nokians, the grip was still good when it was down to 30% thread depth.

Having been in the car modding industry for about 5-6 years now this is my take on tires that I have used or experienced

Used:
Pirelli PZero Rosso - good everyday driving tire, lasts really long and quiet (except when cornering)
Falken ST/RT - best bang for buck, really good dry grip and not as expensive as Michelin, quiet even when cornering
Bridgestone S03 - Very good dry and probably the best wet grip, only problem is that this tire wears out quite fast
Continental ContiSport2 - lasts long, shit for cornering, quiet when driving in a straight line.
Nitto NT555 - shit tire, I hate it....but good sports tire if you're on a budget.

Others:
Michelin PS1/PS2 - best tire wet or dry but also by far the most expensive
Toyo - T1S is outdated, try to get T1R, no experience on this tire though
Nitto Invo/NeoGen - Nitto's new tires, both are supposed to be very good.
Kumho - their ultra high performance tire is supposed to be the new 'bang for buck' tire. The Hamann 430 Ferrari uses these.

I read in some car magazine that some performance bridgestone tires actually have two rubber compounds in their tires to maintain the same level of grip throughout the useful lifespan of the tires. The theory is that as the outer rubber layer gets worn off, another inner layer of sticky compound will be exposed. Thus the grip level will not be compromised.

That is Bridgestone's " Doughnut" technology...

Top Bottom