considering E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gc3000

Club Guest
Hi all,I'm new here.Im currently with a 2007 civic and planning to change. What I have in mind is either BMW or VW golf.Personally every guy would like to have a BMW, but heard many ppl said that the E90 especially the 2.0 is very problematic and is not encouraging to go for this car.. they said the E60 is a better option and less problems. Im still considering.. please advise.. Many thanks.

It all depends on how lucky you are. Have you been lucky with cars?

The first BMW we had was a 5 years old used 160k km E36, saw it in the paper and immediately went to inspect the car in the middle of the night at an apartment in Cheras, took it for a test drive around the car park (max speed 30kph), don't even know how to switch on it's lights, but placed my booking immediately after the test drive.. It cost us RM100k for a used E36 318i(M) back then. Never had problem with the car because the owner just overhauled it. We sold it after 3 years because family growing.

7 years later we decided to get another BMW, it was an E46 but after inspected more than 20 used units in broad day light, I wasn't lucky enough to find a decent condition unit. Hence, end up with a brand new E90 320i with 2 years warranty, zero mileage with super low interest rate. Been 5 years now, no major problem except the many leaks here and there. It's also because low usage, only 83k km now for a 5 years old car.

If you worry about a problematic car, get a Toyota. For my case, I have a Toyota in my stable.. :4:

The only problem so far - under powered. Even Gen 2 can outrun you. If you hit full throttle for a few minutes - the engine will cut off (a good feature really).
Drives like a Japs car - light and nimble. I am on Shell AB engine oil - no leaking for 6 years.

astroboy;785175 said:
It all depends on how lucky you are. Have you been lucky with cars?

The first BMW we had was a 5 years old used 160k km E36, saw it in the paper and immediately went to inspect the car in the middle of the night at an apartment in Cheras, took it for a test drive around the car park (max speed 30kph), don't even know how to switch on it's lights, but placed my booking immediately after the test drive.. It cost us RM100k for a used E36 318i(M) back then. Never had problem with the car because the owner just overhauled it. We sold it after 3 years because family growing.

7 years later we decided to get another BMW, it was an E46 but after inspected more than 20 used units in broad day light, I wasn't lucky enough to find a decent condition unit. Hence, end up with a brand new E90 320i with 2 years warranty, zero mileage with super low interest rate. Been 5 years now, no major problem except the many leaks here and there. It's also because low usage, only 83k km now for a 5 years old car.

If you worry about a problematic car, get a Toyota. For my case, I have a Toyota in my stable.. :4:

Bro, im not saying like wear and tear issue, but like you said lo, leaking here and there.. I'm worried of that..

Bro...my previous ride was the fd1. Bought new and for 5 years was very 'manja'. Had to change the ac compressor, the tensioner, the drive shaft...the list goes on. Servicing at honda, i would say is similar in cost to normal service of the bimmer. I guess it boils down to luck as per what astroboy said.

What would be your budget? A non-M Sport 325i 2006 is about RM110-120k nowadays. 2008/2009 LCI with iDrive still commands about RM150k and above. BMW are known for their 6 potters. Try the 325i and the 320i and decide from there. If you're prefer a diesel burner, 2009 320d should set you about RM170k now. Mudah would be a best place to start your survey. It all boils down to what is the condition of the car when you bought it. E60 have their fair share of issues as well.

6 potters means 6 cylinders? saw some 04/07 or 05/08 e60 around 130k like that.. so tempting.. budget around 120k to 140k like that..

BMW 6 potter/cylinder is legendary bro. Hope you manage to find one be it the e90 pre-lci or the e60. Good luck:top:

astroboy;785348 said:
Yup! For the finest inline 6 in the business, look no further.. :4:

I am totally agree with Astroboy,

Get the legendary inline 6, look no further..

Hello gc3000.. Welcome.. I've previously own 4 different bimmers years back.. Loved the cars but maintenance was always an issue.. Somehow I always end up buying lemons. A few other friends who purchased the same models as me never had any issues with their ride.. I guess it just my arse luck.. Told myself no more bmws but here I am again taking the plunge.. Once u have driven an udm, there's no turning back.. So come take the plunge with me.. Hehehe

Bimmer883;785475 said:
.. Once u have driven an udm, there's no turning back.. So come take the plunge with me.. Hehehe

True.. even if it's a brand new zero mileage unit with full warranty, I still call it a PLUNGE, not for the faint hearted, stay away if you not ready and only come back when you are ready.. :4:

Lol... actually I have tested a VW golf MK6, very powerful car.. but which guy on earth will say NO to a beemer right? If I had a choice, i would definitely go for beemer.. just worried will get a lemon like u guys said.. and rumors around saying 320 "is a very headache car".. so I guess 6 potters is a good choice since im not looking at fuel consumption.. Never had any frens driving a 6 potters for me to test drive yet.. haha..

MK6 has it's fair share of issues, oil burnt being one. VW cars albeit powerful (turbo ma!), but lack refinement not to mention about the tight boot space compared to a sedan, it drives like a Wiralution, with all the bumpiness and noise intrusion is unbearable.. no offence to VW owners here, everyone entitled to opinions ma.. :4:

Meanwhile, MK6 has been very popular with carjackers to be used as a perfect getaway car for "jobs" due to it's size and power.

like those in italian job..

Yup, i agreed with u bro, especially with 7 speed DSG. they claimed got miss firing issues and gearbox issue.. only good thing is with 5 years warranty.

then I guess I will go for 325 / 525 depends on price / good unit..

hope I won't be so lucky to get a lemon..

5 year warranty subject to oil change done by them and every oil change is RM800 !! Every 15k km and first 15k km is I think complimentary. I seriously won't recommend 15k km oil change interval especially for forced induction engine. :stupid:

went thru all the website hardly find a black 325.. :(

most of them 320..

all the sifus recommand any good workshop? heard 1 in OKR near sunway toll there very good in beemer and audi...

Yes.. All E90 325i using the magnesium N52B25, the most refined inline 6 in the business, the same engine used in all post 2004 E60 523i and 525i. As for workshop, it's very personal, u may not get the same treatment as the introducer.. There's a lot of workshop related resources in the forum, try to use the search function.

Top Bottom