Classified ( Motortrader VS local paper STAR )

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ICEMAN 68

Founding Member
hey mates Lately when i was looking for a ride ... at the first glance we will think of motortrader magazine or the web site .... but to avail it was scary that when you call the seller, the first question asked is where did you get this add from ... If you say motor trader then the prize quote is so then given ..usually at the higher sideBut then upon searching in the local Star paper ..same car , same year , same phone number --- the price is much more lower ...Therefore have anyone came across this situation ??and another matter is that in motor trader we usually see lotsa price tag such for example selling price 8X,XXX .... but when you call up the seller will usually say 89,990 ...darm only neg of rm10 .... and you'll waste your time and money on phone calls ...and not to forget ..the upmost rudeness from the seller at times...so now is star papers classified much more realible compared to the RM5.90 motortrader magazine ...I've made a complaint to the motortrader admin, but they seem to look lightly into this matter....P/S : to register into the motortrader SITE forum also very much difficult ...darmmm :(

bahahaa....dude i do totally agreed with you. did come across same situation last year when i tried to hunt for a car. initially, adapted all those sources from motortrader. when called up or meet 'em up, the price only neg for RM10(most of the cases). wasting my times too. after several days, gave up motortrader sources (not damn reliable. just to attract you with lower price and when called up, u will ended up getting nice custom make story side). eventually, found myself the car i wan by referral of dad friends from KL.

nice custom made stories ...ya man ...me too went through it .... but now how to stop such unhealthy sellers out there ...

I know motortrader is by mean charging a premium of RM 50 and so to those who wanna sell their stuff ...with a picture .... but over for a month too we could see the same add over and over .... ridiculous ..when the person has already sold the vehicle and yet the add apprears...

but now to my ques ...how come they advertise in motor trader at a higher side compared to STAR ...is it because MT is a better selling platform ?

if u can get direct owner in motortrader it will b better. but most of the case usually dealer will advertise. i advertise in both star and motortrader before and find that motortrader respond is better

agree, most of car dealer will advertise on motortrader ..

dont say i find a car example .. price 8x,xxx finally only diffrent 10K.. or round figure..
even im advertise myself .. on example 86,xxx.. shit the buyer also press to round figure too .. till 80,000. .. !@#$%^&* what this like ?

this is local style " We boleh " & " Sure Boleh " ...

Those days, motor trader was meant for individual sales.. it was very effective for individuals, but when the used car saw they were losing out on the sales, they are in as from to- day...

only certain cars will interest others and MT/Star is a platform for market values only..

From my experience of selling cars (all private sales). Motortrader had better responses then forums and star combined. I understand your grouse but you can't blame motortrader for it. Its out of their control really.

I do agree with you that car dealers in Malaysia have kinda an attitute thing going on thou... and the charges they charge are outrageous... all kinda fees to ballon the price....

And its also normal, as a seller you want the highest price and as a buyer you want the lowest possible price... :)

3CI;329138 said:
dont say i find a car example .. price 8x,xxx finally only diffrent 10K.. or round figure..
even im advertise myself .. on example 86,xxx.. shit the buyer also press to round figure too .. till 80,000. .. !@#$%^&* what this like ?

this is local style " We boleh " & " Sure Boleh " ...

bro at least your figure 86 could be merely 86 below and so ... but as for 8X ..we need to figure out the "X" 89 ka , 88 ka , 81 ka ...

but usually based on kena by used car dealer and so on advertising in MT is definately a plus point as they attache a beautiful color picture of the car... but price at MT stated is usually higher side that STAR classified ....thats what i observe and went through ....

minivan;329181 said:
From my experience of selling cars (all private sales). Motortrader had better responses then forums and star combined. I understand your grouse but you can't blame motortrader for it. Its out of their control really.

I do agree with you that car dealers in Malaysia have kinda an attitute thing going on thou... and the charges they charge are outrageous... all kinda fees to ballon the price....

And its also normal, as a seller you want the highest price and as a buyer you want the lowest possible price... :)

agree with you but then MT should avoid using 8X,XXX as we as buyers need to call and getting disappointed to hear that it's 89,990 .... why can't they just put as 89,990 neg ...would be more nicer ...

and another thing is why do the used car dealers ask where did you read the add at ??
As if you say motor trader, then the price is as stated in MT ...but to my surprise the same car, same phone number is advertised much lower in the STAR ..a fraction of 3~5 thou...

therefore knowing that there is no law of such advertising ...but then it's may get those who are unaware of such advertising and so on .....

all i know is, if u're the person trying to sell yr car thru MT, be prepared for wierdos who'll be calling up middle of the night for queries and asking u to come out to view d car... (potential car napping?).. and some will say "sure boh? yr car so powderful? u know ah..my fren...yak yak.. pui pui".. it's a waste of time... but there are a handful legitimate buyers though...

i sold my citra via MT within a week to a dealer. Sold at a decent price. Did get a few queries but as I was not desperate to sell, I filtered them on the spot. Price-wise, yes, MT tends to be higher so if you are looking for one in MT, always put a 5-10% discount.

ICEMAN 13;329212 said:
agree with you but then MT should avoid using 8X,XXX as we as buyers need to call and getting disappointed to hear that it's 89,990 .... why can't they just put as 89,990 neg ...would be more nicer ...

By doing so, they want as many as possible to call them. If the price is stated, one can roughly estimate what the actual selling price would be. So there's no need to call. Also, don't forget that not only your call but your phone number also very useful. Once they get to know your name they can sell your number to marketing agencies.

BLaCkHoWLiNG;329337 said:
all i know is, if u're the person trying to sell yr car thru MT, be prepared for wierdos who'll be calling up middle of the night for queries and asking u to come out to view d car... (potential car napping?).. and some will say "sure boh? yr car so powderful? u know ah..my fren...yak yak.. pui pui".. it's a waste of time... but there are a handful legitimate buyers though...

agreed...lastime my dad sold his old mazda 323...got one fella called at 1 am said wanna view car now....my dad was like WTF..got another fella called asking info like when built, got full petrol or not.bla3...haha....finally sold off to a foreman in kampung baru..after the 2nd week reprint...haha.

Main difference is the pictures, which is a big plus for MT. Star seems to have more private sellers, though plenty of dealers in both. Of course it's usually preferable to deal with private owners. Quite obvious which ones are the dealers, the multiple contact numbers, the way they write the ads (must see to believe etc), and using that stupid XXXX which as someone else noted always means 9999...

Doesn't really matter if they put different prices in different places, you should know the real market value for the car in question and bargain based on that, not on how big a discount the guy is giving off the asking price. The starting prices are usually ridiculous anyways.

Top Bottom