Chevrolet Camaro in our own backyard

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bal3056

Club Guest
The American 1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 Muscle car fully restored by me and my brother couple of years ago. Has a V8 350 5.7L with 2.96 rear diff with all the usual hot bits in it, MSD Ign, Mallory Coil, Headers, High Compression, Holley Carb, double-row timing chain, tricked TH400 Auto box. Tested times 0 - 60mph : 7.5 secs average on Auto box. Needed to change to a taller diff though to achieve better times ... about 6 secs, but car was sold by then.

gawd.....awesome ..always lurve the muscle car....and always wanted an El Camino..anways congrats on the restoration that you guys did.

HOLY SHIT! I never thought one of those existed in Malaysia. That is one huge car.
And it's a left hooker...erm... I always wanted to ask this question to LHD car owners - how do you guys go pass to toll booth?
Does the Camaro use an older version of the LS1 V8 in the Corvettes?

Originally posted by gimhan@Apr 16 2005, 01:09 AM
HOLY SHIT! I never thought one of those existed in Malaysia. That is one huge car.
And it's a left hooker...erm... I always wanted to ask this question to LHD car owners - how do you guys go pass to toll booth?
Yup, me wonder too, especially if you do not have a passenger sitting on the right-hand side. But there is always the SMART-TAG...

Originally posted by gimhan@Apr 15 2005, 05:09 PM
Camaros and Corvettes literally have similar engines under the hood. After LS1, I think they had the LT1. PLenty of torque but not that much hp for the size of the engine. It would be fun, if it had a manual tranny!! *slurp* :D

The standard equipped muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s came off the shelf as 5 or 6 sec cars, just full of torque and grunt. Then in the late 70s and thru 80s, the US strict emissions laws and oil prices took a toll on these strong engines. The manufacturers had to retard the cam considerably, reduce from 4-barrel cards to just 2-barrel thingy, fitted 2 catalytic convertors, a smaller diameter pipe after the silencer box/muffler, leaner mixtures on wide range of rpm blah, blah, blah ..... all these just killed the genuine bhp. but some manageable torque more or less remained to still push the cars.

So most people then decided (similar to what I did before) to change some critical parts without affecting the overall emissions by using various approaches. I guess there are ways of going behind the law in some states in the US. Simple approaches like breaking off the seal at the 4 barrel carbs & repositioning the float level and retuning to a richer mixture, changing to an advanced cam, ign. retiming, fitting an adaptor plate between the manifold and carb, cutting off the cats, fitting twin exhaust systems etc etc made a whole lot of difference, that many had to get used to the accelerator pedal which has now become very responsive. I personally had that experience and I couldn't control the car at take-off after this simple mods.

very nice ...

good restoration bro...

i personally had a 89 irocZ camaro back in the states

cheers :D :D

Top Bottom